Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]
Posted: Jan 18, 2020 at 7:49 Quote
nojzilla wrote:
Length of the press, a bb press might not be long enough an a HS press while long enough, might not have enough thread for BB. Some presses will do both with adapters

Easy to make your own with a long bolt an some plates but some HS/BB parts dont like being pressed on the external

Saying that though. Theres nothing like the quality of a good specific press. It's down to the thread pitch an the wieght an length of the levers

Makes sense, thanks!

Posted: Jan 19, 2020 at 9:47 Quote
Looking for some rubber plugs for some bottlecage/mudguard mounting points, does anyone know who makes them or what they're called? Struggling to find any on google.

Posted: Jan 19, 2020 at 10:32 Quote
dingus wrote:
Looking for some rubber plugs for some bottlecage/mudguard mounting points, does anyone know who makes them or what they're called? Struggling to find any on google.

Problem Solvers Bubs

Posted: Jan 19, 2020 at 10:54 Quote
I have brand x external dropper and tried to install it to frame ,bit when press lever then press saddle down and release lever post goes up doesnt stay down,i used rj bike guy guide to install

When install cable into shifter and tide it up ,moving part in dropper is set on highest position

I press lever and push down dropper goes down,i release lever dropper goes up

I found this free play ,not touching shifter

https://youtu.be/scPLoaI2o7I

Any advise is helpfull or just tech info and parts manual is awesome

Dropper was bought second hand as fully working ,so i guess i am doing it wrong
10x

Posted: Jan 19, 2020 at 12:17 Quote
seraph wrote:
dingus wrote:

Problem Solvers Bubs

Cheers.

Next question, I need a 167mm long 142 thru axle for a road frame, Brand X do 166mm or 170mm. Should I just go for the 166mm?

Posted: Jan 19, 2020 at 12:28 Quote
dingus wrote:
seraph wrote:
dingus wrote:

Problem Solvers Bubs

Cheers.

Next question, I need a 167mm long 142 thru axle for a road frame, Brand X do 166mm or 170mm. Should I just go for the 166mm?

What thread length and pitch are we talking? What frame?

Posted: Jan 19, 2020 at 12:30 Quote
genovvv wrote:
I have brand x external dropper and tried to install it to frame ,bit when press lever then press saddle down and release lever post goes up doesnt stay down,i used rj bike guy guide to install

When install cable into shifter and tide it up ,moving part in dropper is set on highest position

I press lever and push down dropper goes down,i release lever dropper goes up

I found this free play ,not touching shifter

https://youtu.be/scPLoaI2o7I

Any advise is helpfull or just tech info and parts manual is awesome

Dropper was bought second hand as fully working ,so i guess i am doing it wrong
10x

Try disconnecting the cable and then operating the seatpost by pushing down on the actuator with your finger. If the post stays down then the problem is in the cable or the remote. If the post won't stay down with the cable disconnected then there is something wrong with the internal mechanism.

Posted: Jan 19, 2020 at 12:35 Quote
dingus wrote:
seraph wrote:
dingus wrote:

Problem Solvers Bubs

Cheers.

this is fairly frame depended best thing to do is measure the width from outside to outside of the drop outs

Posted: Jan 19, 2020 at 12:38 Quote
seraph wrote:
dingus wrote:

Cheers.

Pinnacle Arkose 2020, the axle specs for the frame are: M12xP1.5, 13mm thread length. 167mm overall length (excl. lever).

The BrandX axles are M12xP1.5, 17mm thread length, 166mm or 170mm.

Posted: Jan 19, 2020 at 12:39 Quote
dingus wrote:
seraph wrote:
dingus wrote:

Cheers.

Pinnacle Arkose 2020, the axle specs for the frame are: M12xP1.5, 13mm thread length. 167mm overall length (excl. lever).

The BrandX axles are M12xP1.5, 17mm thread length, 166mm or 170mm.
Go 166

Posted: Jan 19, 2020 at 14:08 Quote
sosburn wrote:
spaceofades wrote:
sosburn wrote:

Fuk
i really just need a longer steerer tube but most used forks are already cut to like 2 inches
have you considered a non-kashima? Believe me, you won't notice the difference

yeah im not worried about feeling a difference i'd just like to retain the kashima so it "matches" my rear shock
(since the X2 stanchion is more like bronze than kashima lmao)

36 uppers are around 250-300 retail

Posted: Jan 19, 2020 at 16:12 Quote
My float X2 started making squelching noises if not used for a bit, which apparently means air is leaking into the damper and it needs a servicing. Looks like servicing from Fox is about $150, but i was wondering if there are any other tuning companies that you guys would recommend? maybe Push or Vorsprungg....

Posted: Jan 19, 2020 at 16:19 Quote
sosburn wrote:
My float X2 started making squelching noises if not used for a bit, which apparently means air is leaking into the damper and it needs a servicing. Looks like servicing from Fox is about $150, but i was wondering if there are any other tuning companies that you guys would recommend? maybe Push or Vorsprungg....
Are there any deficiencies that you've noticed in your damping? If so now is an excellent time to work with a tuner like push to get a custom valve done. If not sending it to fox will likely be your best bet.

Posted: Jan 19, 2020 at 16:47 Quote
For $150 you can buy the shaft clamps and tools needed to fix it yourself and have it going a lot faster. This video does a really good job of showing the procedure and also shows how many of the tools can be made for a lot cheaper than bought.

https://youtu.be/LtDmXeFdbFE

Posted: Jan 19, 2020 at 17:31 Quote
Bflutz625 wrote:
For $150 you can buy the shaft clamps and tools needed to fix it yourself and have it going a lot faster. This video does a really good job of showing the procedure and also shows how many of the tools can be made for a lot cheaper than bought.

https://youtu.be/LtDmXeFdbFE

Ummmmm yeah I definitely don't trust myself enough to do a comparable job to Fox/vorsprung lmao

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.011447
Mobile Version of Website