Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]
Posted: Jan 27, 2020 at 1:12 Quote
nojzilla wrote:
seraph wrote:
ajax-ripper wrote:
If you are building a DJ home you should seriously just run profile bmx cranks.

Maybe if he's made of money. Those things don't come cheap.

And, for the £$ the finish quality is questionable, plenty of porfile products I had to chase threads and/or clean swarf out

But once installed they will survive whatever onslought you put them through. Any 48 spline chromolly crank will Outlast your standard zee/atlas setup.

Posted: Jan 27, 2020 at 1:33 Quote
nojzilla wrote:
seraph wrote:
ajax-ripper wrote:

And, for the £$ the finish quality is questionable, plenty of porfile products I had to chase threads and/or clean swarf out

But once installed they will survive whatever onslought you put them through. Any 48 spline chromolly crank will Outlast your standard zee/atlas setup.

Posted: Jan 27, 2020 at 9:54 Quote
Too bad Deity doesn't make their cranks anymore. I've got a set and they're pretty slick.

Posted: Jan 27, 2020 at 12:18 Quote
Can anyone confirm that the RS Monarch auto-sag uses a standard diameter wiper seal kit?

Posted: Jan 27, 2020 at 13:22 Quote
dingus wrote:
Can anyone confirm that the RS Monarch auto-sag uses a standard diameter wiper seal kit?

Yes it does

Posted: Jan 27, 2020 at 19:40 Quote
nojzilla wrote:
seraph wrote:
ajax-ripper wrote:

*swarf*....just a funny word...swarf, swarf, swarf! Lol! ????

Posted: Jan 28, 2020 at 10:38 Quote
I have a 2013 demo 8, I’m fully stripping the bike to do a full service including new pivot bearings. When trying to remove the “fsr” bolt nearest to the seat post, riders right hand side, it just spins and doesn’t undo or come out, the left hand side unthreaded fine but this one keeps spinning. Is there a special way to remove it? Or are the threads trashed inside? Any help would be much appreciated. Thankyou

Posted: Jan 28, 2020 at 10:57 Quote
corey-watson wrote:
I have a 2013 demo 8, I’m fully stripping the bike to do a full service including new pivot bearings. When trying to remove the “fsr” bolt nearest to the seat post, riders right hand side, it just spins and doesn’t undo or come out, the left hand side unthreaded fine but this one keeps spinning. Is there a special way to remove it? Or are the threads trashed inside? Any help would be much appreciated. Thankyou
I believe this is a through axle and only needs to be removed from one side. If not you'll need to REI stall the left hand thread to give you support.

Posted: Jan 28, 2020 at 14:39 Quote
If I wanted to quieten down a rear hub would it be a bad idea to put a little bit of Park Tool HPG-1 grease in there? Would that make the hub super draggy or wear prematurely or anything along those lines?

Posted: Jan 28, 2020 at 14:42 Quote
james-skipper wrote:
If I wanted to quieten down a rear hub would it be a bad idea to put a little bit of Park Tool HPG-1 grease in there? Would that make the hub super draggy or wear prematurely or anything along those lines?

Most companies don't recommend grease unless it's their specific blend. What hub is it?

Posted: Jan 28, 2020 at 14:52 Quote
seraph wrote:
Most companies don't recommend grease unless it's their specific blend. What hub is it?

Its a Hunt RapidEngage which came on their Enduro Wide wheel set, not sure if its a rebranded off the shelf deal though

Posted: Jan 28, 2020 at 14:58 Quote
Don't put that grease in literally anything but threads.

Posted: Jan 28, 2020 at 15:06 Quote
sherbet wrote:
Don't put that grease in literally anything but threads.

Really? Whys that? The picture on the park tool website literally shows them repacking a bearing with it!

https://www.parktool.com/product/high-performance-grease-hpg-1

Posted: Jan 28, 2020 at 15:12 Quote
Yeah, it can have grain in it and really isn't suitable for any application outside of threads in my humble opinion.

Posted: Jan 28, 2020 at 15:14 Quote
Fair enough, out of interest what do you use for bearings?

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.011274
Mobile Version of Website