Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]
Author Message
Posted: Jan 28, 2020 at 15:16 Quote
Maxima has done us well in shop. Just the standard blue waterproof stuff. Also use Lucas thicc and red sometimes. For hub pawls, I'd want something lighter, think like slick honey or judy butter. Not sure what works with hunt's hubs so sorry there.

Posted: Jan 28, 2020 at 15:47 Quote
james-skipper wrote:
Its a Hunt RapidEngage which came on their Enduro Wide wheel set, not sure if its a rebranded off the shelf deal though

Novatec.

You could try a thick oil, such as a "liquid grease". Rock n Roll makes great products at reasonable prices.

Posted: Jan 28, 2020 at 15:54 Quote
sherbet wrote:
Maxima has done us well in shop. Just the standard blue waterproof stuff.

+1, this stuff is great

Posted: Jan 28, 2020 at 15:58 Quote
R-M-R wrote:
james-skipper wrote:
Its a Hunt RapidEngage which came on their Enduro Wide wheel set, not sure if its a rebranded off the shelf deal though

Novatec.

You could try a thick oil, such as a "liquid grease". Rock n Roll makes great products at reasonable prices.

Hey, while you're here, can you educate me as it why I'm a dumbass when I use judy butter in hubs? You always got that insight.

Posted: Jan 28, 2020 at 16:03 Quote
Because you could get the same product without the rebranded upcharge if you just buy Slickoleum. Wink

Unsure whether a webbing or non-webbing grease is better for drivers. I'm thinking webbing, as it's less easily displaced, but not too much thicker than the recommended lubricant.

That's about the best I can do on this. Ask me about kinematics, not lubes!

Posted: Jan 28, 2020 at 16:08 Quote
It's honestly the cheapest grease of that variety I can get in the shop. I had been using some slick honey I got previously and moved over to judy butter cause it was easier/cheaper for me to get. Have been thinking of rebuilding my Hydra with it but I'm scared af about the pawls skipping.

Sorry to double harass you here, can you clarify between webbing and non-webbing? I can stfu and go hit google if you're busy.

Posted: Jan 28, 2020 at 16:11 Quote
Some greases string and web like mozzarella cheese. Some just squish like butter.

Webbing greases coat parts better, but also drag dirt under the seals. Great for parts that don't cross a seal, like bearings, but not ideal for suspension, for example.

Posted: Jan 28, 2020 at 22:29 Quote
A webbing grease is more likely to stay where it was placed, which is excellent for hub drivers where the pawls are constantly pushing the grease out of the way, on the flip side this same effect combined with high viscosity can hold the pawls down preventing the hub from engaging.

Dumonde tech has a grease made specifically for this task, it is a webbing grease but had a viscosity more similar to slickoleum. Triflow mixed into white lithium grease also works well in a pinch.

Posted: Jan 28, 2020 at 22:50 Quote
are there any major performance detriments to running a handlebar with 35-40mm of rise?

Posted: Jan 28, 2020 at 22:57 Quote
sosburn wrote:
are there any major performance detriments to running a handlebar with 35-40mm of rise?

Overall, no. If this is higher than your usual height, it will change how you can weight the front end, which has good and bad aspects.

If you're comparing the same bar height via a high-rise bar with few spacers vs. low-rise bar with more spacers, then it's essentially identical.

Posted: Jan 28, 2020 at 23:03 Quote
R-M-R wrote:
sosburn wrote:
are there any major performance detriments to running a handlebar with 35-40mm of rise?

Overall, no. If this is higher than your usual height, it will change how you can weight the front end, which has good and bad aspects.

If you're comparing the same bar height via a high-rise bar with few spacers vs. low-rise bar with more spacers, then it's essentially identical.

My issue is i want to use a -1 degree angleset, which requires an additional 10mm of steerer tube. I have a new stem with 10mm less stack height (deity copperhead), but im looking at a 30mm or 50mm rise enve m9 bar to go with it and i'd like the larger of the two as i kind of find myself wanting a higher stack height overall.

Posted: Jan 28, 2020 at 23:07 Quote
sosburn wrote:
My issue is i want to use a -1 degree angleset, which requires an additional 10mm of steerer tube. I have a new stem with 10mm less stack height (deity copperhead), but im looking at a 30mm or 50mm rise enve m9 bar to go with it and i'd like the larger of the two as i kind of find myself wanting a higher stack height overall.

tup

Posted: Jan 29, 2020 at 0:09 Quote
I use Dri Slide in 99% of my hubs. I even used graphite powder once. Great sound, doesn't last long though.

Posted: Jan 29, 2020 at 7:03 Quote
I run my hubs dry for that extra zing

Posted: Jan 29, 2020 at 10:32 Quote
what lube do/should one use/how to clean dropper post stanchion after a ride? sram butter or fork oil (without disassembling post, ie just cycle up/down)?


 
Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.011042
Mobile Version of Website