PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]
Posted: Feb 6, 2020 at 7:42 Quote
ajax-ripper wrote:
Nobble wrote:
ajax-ripper wrote:
Triflow until the day I die.
triflow attracts wayyy too much grit.
A single drop in each roller with sufficient dry time and I'm happy. It's available everywhere and works well, also smells like banana which is a win.
I don't know what kind of bananas you get in Calgary but the tri flow in my shop smells like stale urine

Posted: Feb 6, 2020 at 8:19 Quote
brainstorming a commuter build, and I'd love a single speed but I need some range for my commute, but even a 1x7 seems overkill; is there any way to get a single speed at the back with a derailleur up front? a kinda frankenstein 1x3?

Posted: Feb 6, 2020 at 8:24 Quote
Hoboinalambo wrote:
brainstorming a commuter build, and I'd love a single speed but I need some range for my commute, but even a 1x7 seems overkill; is there any way to get a single speed at the back with a derailleur up front? a kinda frankenstein 1x3?

1x2 is definitely possible. 1x3 really depends on chain lines... at least that’s what I ran into.

Posted: Feb 6, 2020 at 8:59 Quote
Hoboinalambo wrote:
Setup your single rear cassette in what would be the middle of a full cassette. Use a rear derailleur to take up chain slack as you go through your front 3 rings. I'd consider some kind of guide plates on both sides of the rear cog for further chain security. Enjoy your strange abomination of a geared bike, and let us know how it goes.

Posted: Feb 6, 2020 at 9:24 Quote
Hoboinalambo wrote:
Suntour makes a 6 spd 14-24 freewheel, I run that on my commuter bike.

Posted: Feb 6, 2020 at 9:40 Quote
wickedfatchance wrote:
ajax-ripper wrote:
Nobble wrote:
triflow attracts wayyy too much grit.
A single drop in each roller with sufficient dry time and I'm happy. It's available everywhere and works well, also smells like banana which is a win.
I don't know what kind of bananas you get in Calgary but the tri flow in my shop smells like stale urine

I think you need to keep an eye on your shifty-eyed mechanic, he might be peeing on your TriFlow bottles. Eek

Posted: Feb 6, 2020 at 9:57 Quote
Duderz7 wrote:
Hoboinalambo wrote:
Setup your single rear cassette in what would be the middle of a full cassette. Use a rear derailleur to take up chain slack as you go through your front 3 rings. I'd consider some kind of guide plates on both sides of the rear cog for further chain security. Enjoy your strange abomination of a geared bike, and let us know how it goes.
appreciate the replies, reckon I'll try this approach

Posted: Feb 6, 2020 at 10:04 Quote
Shifts would be SOOO clunky though, an youre still gonna need a tensioner at the rear.....
So it might as well be a working deraileur......

Posted: Feb 6, 2020 at 11:07 Quote
cmcrawfo wrote:
Unless you want to apply wax every ride you need to use the beeswax. Straight paraffin definitely has the least rolling resistance, but it doesn’t hold up. Particularly in any type of muddy/wet application.... you don’t need very much bees wax

The Teflon would be an interesting addition.

So you need a little ductility, or something like that, from the beeswax to keep it from crumbling away.

If you search for powdered PTFE / Teflon on Amazon, the "frequently purchased together" suggestions are full of paraffin and crockpots!

Twenty6ers4life wrote:
I use Molten Speed wax and rotate 2 chains about every 10 rides. Works awesome and is super clean.

I've heard it's great, but, as you can clearly see, we're trying to save a few dollars and feel superior at the cost of many hours of screwing around with substandard DIY solutions. Wink

Posted: Feb 6, 2020 at 11:12 Quote
nojzilla wrote:
Shifts would be SOOO clunky though, an youre still gonna need a tensioner at the rear.....

Exactly. Why have a derailleur - or a tensioner that's essentially the same thing - just to not use it?

Many cassettes, especially old and inexpensive ones, have separate sprockets. Just disassemble an old cassette, keep the sprockets you want, and replace the rest with spacers. Or keep the whole cassette and don't use all of it.

You can even get "straight-block" cassettes where each sprocket differs by only one tooth if you want minimal range and maximum control over your cadence.

Posted: Feb 6, 2020 at 11:50 Quote
Just looking at getting some new rim brakes for my old beater road bike now, is there a significant difference in performance in Shimano's lineup? Like how would the Tiagra compare to the 105? (BR-4700 vs BR-7000). And they would both be compatible with the old school brakes, eh? Or would I have to buy new brake levers as well?

Edit: Looked into a bit more, it seems like the 7000 have a different (newer) design than the 4700.

Posted: Feb 6, 2020 at 13:18 Quote
R-M-R wrote:
nojzilla wrote:

Exactly. Why have a derailleur - or a tensioner that's essentially the same thing - just to not use it?

Many cassettes, especially old and inexpensive ones, have separate sprockets. Just disassemble an old cassette, keep the sprockets you want, and replace the rest with spacers. Or keep the whole cassette and don't use all of it.

You can even get "straight-block" cassettes where each sprocket differs by only one tooth if you want minimal range and maximum control over your cadence.

A dingle set up as 1x2 is rather classic and functional.

But I agree, when you are getting in 1x3 it can be a bit clunky. And no tensioner is gonna cover the spread of a traditional tripple front, so yes you do still need a rear mech.... it’s hard to imagine an application where you need only three gears spread widely apart.... I have played around with this idea, for me it was more of a case of, I have these parts... what can I do with them, vs what’s the most functional / effective gearing for my application.

Posted: Feb 6, 2020 at 13:26 Quote
wrote:
I've heard it's great, but, as you can clearly see, we're trying to save a few dollars and feel superior at the cost of many hours of screwing around with substandard DIY solutions. Wink

Classic lol

Posted: Feb 6, 2020 at 13:28 Quote
why not find a used Hammerschmidt crankset and just use that?

Posted: Feb 6, 2020 at 13:31 Quote
sosburn wrote:
why not find a used Hammerschmidt crankset and just use that?

If you can find a serviceable one for a reasonable price, let me know.

They are priced a bit high.. around here anyways

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.011194
Mobile Version of Website