Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]
Posted: Feb 17, 2020 at 17:10 Quote
Yea I checked MEC they have to order one in, it has to be either the 2 or 6 the 1 has bigger pins it’s to take the lock ring off my RS vivid air can ...but thanks for the offer man!

Posted: Feb 17, 2020 at 17:55 Quote
cyberoptixs wrote:
Yea I checked MEC they have to order one in, it has to be either the 2 or 6 the 1 has bigger pins it’s to take the lock ring off my RS vivid air can ...but thanks for the offer man!
isnt there a sram tool with 4 pins for that?

A pin spanner will be really hard to keep in place, you’re much better of with the proper tool.

Posted: Feb 17, 2020 at 18:22 Quote
Nobble wrote:
cyberoptixs wrote:

A pin spanner will be really hard to keep in place, you’re much better of with the proper tool.

If the only tool you have is a hammer .... everything looks like a nail.

Posted: Feb 17, 2020 at 19:00 Quote
cmcrawfo wrote:
Nobble wrote:
cyberoptixs wrote:

If the only tool you have is a hammer .... everything looks like a nail.
then buy some different tools.

Posted: Feb 17, 2020 at 20:53 Quote
cyberoptixs wrote:
I need a SPA-2 pin spanner none of the bike shops have one is there anything I can use to improvise

Search for "pin wrench". There are loads of them for automotive and industrial applications.

Posted: Feb 17, 2020 at 22:30 Quote
Hey nobble I have the 24mm pin spanner it’s for the IFP res cap and to remove the main piston from the body, the SPA-2 is for the lockring on the air can, sram used it in the manual I tried the 24mm spanner and it doesn’t work which doesn’t make sense cuz they want you to get 200 inch lbs and no way to actually torque it lol, and yea it was a pain in the ass to use took me a few tries and Some swearing to get it done

Posted: Feb 17, 2020 at 22:52 Quote
whattheheel wrote:
chickenrunz wrote:
Hi I bought a used Bontrager 150mm dropper and it doesn't behave like my current 125mm Bontrager.

- the post grinds when it goes up more than it grinds when goes down
- the post when fully depressed leaves about 4mm sticking out
- the post doesn't fully extend, leaving 3mm

1. when i unscrew the sleeve screw the post does extend all the way out
- but i can't seem to make it go in that extra 4mm ....

2. i'm waiting for slickoleum to arrive so i can service the dropper - but are there any tips to get all my extension? i don't think i should open it up before i get the slick honey?

Seatpost clamp isn’t too tight right?

got back from work - seatpost clamp has been completely undone, and same issue.

edit: took it apart - there's nothing wrong with it. maybe it only does 145mm. it's a newer cheaper bontrager. claening and greasing fixed the grinding sound.

Posted: Feb 18, 2020 at 17:17 Quote
yo, rear shock 160mm rockshox monarch, at appropriate pressure, but not holding full travel. wondering If air trapped in negative chamber, or what, but it is at 160psi, which is the recommended for my weight, don't know if i just need more pressure, or what. Help appreciated

Posted: Feb 18, 2020 at 17:41 Quote
traqs wrote:
yo, rear shock 160mm rockshox monarch, at appropriate pressure, but not holding full travel. wondering If air trapped in negative chamber, or what, but it is at 160psi, which is the recommended for my weight, don't know if i just need more pressure, or what. Help appreciated

Like the shock is being sucked down? Could be air trapped in the negitive or there a bad seal somewhere

Posted: Feb 18, 2020 at 18:18 Quote
Usually if it's a bad seal (especially on monarchs) the stanchion will suck down completely to bottom out. Possibly just a bit of excess grease covering your negative transfer port. Test by inflating more, then compressing the shock and listening for a 'pssht' about 30% though travel. If you can hear it, the transfer port is working fine. Try pulling the air sleeve off, wiping up the inside of the sleeve, (make sure there is SOME grease on the seals, but not huge globs) and put it back together.

Posted: Feb 18, 2020 at 19:32 Quote
ok, there is a thought that I have that some of the oil inside may be thickening, due to it being stored in a garage during winter, havwe it in the house now, to let it warm up, and if that doesn't work, I will try your guys' suggestions. Thank you

Posted: Feb 18, 2020 at 19:35 Quote
Anyone change the spring on a Super Deluxe Coil with the bearing mount? The stock spring ID doesn't seem to fit over the bearings. Any luck removing the bearing mount itself?

Posted: Feb 18, 2020 at 20:46 Quote
traqs wrote:
ok, there is a thought that I have that some of the oil inside may be thickening, due to it being stored in a garage during winter, havwe it in the house now, to let it warm up, and if that doesn't work, I will try your guys' suggestions. Thank you
It's really coming for suspension components to suck down in cold weather..

Posted: Feb 18, 2020 at 20:55 Quote
ah yeah, gotcha, i was hoping for that, I guess time will tell, hopefully will know tomorrow

Posted: Feb 18, 2020 at 21:00 Quote
traqs wrote:
ah yeah, gotcha, i was hoping for that, I guess time will tell, hopefully will know tomorrow
The only way to fix suck down is disassembly...

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.012553
Mobile Version of Website