Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]
Posted: Feb 19, 2020 at 17:03 Quote
nubbs wrote:
traqs wrote:
just got it, I missed an o-ring like a well good old idiot. there is a ridiculous amount of oil.. is there meant to be? like full explosion of oil when I opened it
there should not be that much oil .... Not good

There can be maybe a teaspoon of oil in the air chamber as lubricant. If pressure was trapped, it could've propelled this lubricating oil all over the place, perhaps seeming more dramatic than it is.

If there was significantly more than a teaspoon, your damper seals have blown.

Posted: Feb 19, 2020 at 17:34 Quote
just took a closer look, what I took off, i believe is not what i was meant too, i cannot see the damper like I can on all the videos I have watched.. i believe what I am looking at is where you put volume reducers.. I cannot see the the air shaft. I can't get whatever I tookoff off the shock, nor back on

O+
Posted: Feb 19, 2020 at 17:48 Quote
That's the negative chamber sleeve you took off, no worries yet. The next cylinder in (the part the sleeve was covering) will unthread, and you'll be able to fully remove the air canister.

Posted: Feb 19, 2020 at 17:51 Quote
and I just take the next one off the same way? without taking the negative chamber sleeve off? Cause I can't take this thing off

Posted: Feb 19, 2020 at 19:01 Quote
traqs wrote:
and I just take the next one off the same way? without taking the negative chamber sleeve off? Cause I can't take this thing off

Did you take off the shock mounting hardware off it would prevent the air can from not coming off

Posted: Feb 19, 2020 at 19:02 Quote
yes i did, I don't knwo what the negative sleeve is caught on, but it wont come off, nor go back on to where it was.

Posted: Feb 19, 2020 at 20:52 Quote
You get it figured out?

Posted: Feb 19, 2020 at 21:09 Quote
not really, need to wait till tomorrow to get a rubber wrench thingy, but still confused about that negative sleeve, is it meant to come off at this stage, or do i need to take the main body off first? and even then, should it go back on to where it started? because it doesn't, it doesn't move any more than a few cm from where it is in the pictures.

Posted: Feb 19, 2020 at 21:12 Quote
traqs wrote:
not really, need to wait till tomorrow to get a rubber wrench thingy, but still confused about that negative sleeve, is it meant to come off at this stage, or do i need to take the main body off first? and even then, should it go back on to where it started? because it doesn't, it doesn't move any more than a few cm from where it is in the pictures.
Does your monarch have two outer sleeves? If so you'll need to Remove both.

Edit. Put some pressure on it. It's likely hung up on the o ring that seperates the Chambers.

O+
Posted: Feb 19, 2020 at 21:12 Quote
traqs wrote:
it usually comes off in the order you've done it. It's probably stuck on an o-ring, but you can take a closer look once you take the air can off. and once you've fingered out what's going on and you're reassembling, put the sleeve on last, it'll make it a lot easier to screw the can back on.

Posted: Feb 19, 2020 at 21:17 Quote
so just put pressure on it going to the back of the shock?

edit. the main reason I am confused is because it will not go either way, will not go back to where it was either, that is my concern, and don't want to break something by putting too much pressure on the sleeve, cause shocks are expensive

and I was thinking it may be stuck on an o ring, because it is a soft, rubber sound that it makes, when it contacts, not a metallic, or hard clink, I'll give it a shot

Posted: Feb 19, 2020 at 21:27 Quote
yeah, just got the sleeve off just with downward pressure like said, 2 more things now, should I be wiping away this oil to clean it or whatever, or leave it? and 2, do I need to be concerned about the orientation of the stanchion on the shock, It has twisted around who knows how many times, and is not lined up now.. but I am assuming that is just something that I will need to do after all this is done?

im learning so much tonight haha, I've done pretty much everything on all of my bikes, but have never touched the suspension.. the shop hasn't either, this is probably long long overdue

Posted: Feb 19, 2020 at 21:30 Quote
This is probably the most stressful and yet most rewarding part of working on your bike. That moment when you think things are kinda f*cked up, followed shortly by that moment when you figure it all out.

It also makes you really appreciate this thread... right in between the clueless 14 yearolds and grumpy 50 yearolds on these boards lay a handful of folks that may actually know what they are talking about and are willing to help you out.

Salute

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.031524
Mobile Version of Website