Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]
Posted: Feb 21, 2020 at 18:37 Quote
Google how to set up a derailleur it’s not hard you need to loosen the cable and let it drop into the smallest gear and then set the limit so that the chai is quiet then tighten the cable but make sure the barrel adjuster is all the way in except 4 clicks before you do then start shifting up if it doesn’t shift right away turn the adjuster and try again till it does cycle it up to the biggest cog and set the limit...that’s the basic there’s tons of videos on setups

Posted: Feb 21, 2020 at 18:38 Quote
If there’s hesitation going up there to much slack in the cable, if it’s on the way down there’s to much tension adjust accordingly

Posted: Feb 21, 2020 at 18:56 Quote
If it’s still doing wonky things after a proper setup your derailleur alignment is off. You will need a DAG. You can pick one up for 40$. If you take it to a shop it’ll cost you about 10$ to have them sort out the alignment.

Posted: Feb 21, 2020 at 19:04 Quote
Or you can build a DAG for $15 bucks check my profile under DIY tools the bolt is a 1mm thread pitch I believe

Posted: Feb 21, 2020 at 23:49 Quote
Jimothy12 wrote:
I'm relatively new to working on my bike and my shifting's been acting weird (It would shift off my smallest cog and wasn't as precise as I'd like), so I tried to fix it but in trying to fix it I made it worse (I messed with cable tension (the barrell adjuster and how its mounted) and the H-limit screw). Now when the shifter's in the highest gear but on the 3rd gear. I'm not asking how to fix all these problems just how can I get it back to roughly normal so I can use a guide sense I don't think they'll work with the current condition of my bike.

The Park Tools instructional videos on YouTube are really good.

Posted: Feb 22, 2020 at 0:08 Quote
Are there any bottom cup headsets that are easily interchangeable between a 1.5 into a 1 1/8 steerer instead of having to change the cup? Currently running a tapered FSA headset Fox 36, but want to pick up a Fox 40 or Boxxer for fun. Not to sure what to really look for or what works with what.

Posted: Feb 22, 2020 at 0:11 Quote
Conversion fork race

Posted: Feb 22, 2020 at 0:12 Quote
BDN93 wrote:
Are there any bottom cup headsets that are easily interchangeable between a 1.5 into a 1 1/8 steerer instead of having to change the cup? Currently running a tapered FSA headset Fox 36, but want to pick up a Fox 40 or Boxxer for fun. Not to sure what to really look for or what works with what.
Put a crown race reducer on your 40.

Posted: Feb 22, 2020 at 0:23 Quote
gotohe11carolina wrote:
BDN93 wrote:
Put a crown race reducer on your 40.

nojzilla wrote:
Conversion fork race

Ahh.. thanks! sorry brain fart i guess haha.. don't know why i didn't think of that.

Posted: Feb 22, 2020 at 4:13 Quote
No worries. Enjoy the parks this summer!

Posted: Feb 22, 2020 at 10:24 Quote
is there a certain way to re-align the stanchion of the shock with the forwards eyelet, or just twist, and see if it's right?

Posted: Feb 22, 2020 at 10:45 Quote
traqs wrote:
is there a certain way to re-align the stanchion of the shock with the forwards eyelet, or just twist, and see if it's right?
It's freespinning just turn until it's aligned.

Posted: Feb 22, 2020 at 10:57 Quote
awesome, thank you!

Posted: Feb 22, 2020 at 16:30 Quote
Just got it all back together.. took it out on my jump, and it lost a bunch of pressure right away, pumped it back up, and it held it for the rest of the session. only thing is, it made this sound, in the video below.. don't know if it is bad, or what it is. If it isn't bad, I don't care about that noise, as I can't hear it over my cassette. it made this sound before the service, but not this loud.. thanks

(you will probably need to turn it up fairly loud to hear it.. and sorry for the horrific video quality)

Views: 87    Faves: 0    Comments: 0

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.038222
Mobile Version of Website