Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]
Posted: Feb 19, 2020 at 21:30 Quote
This is probably the most stressful and yet most rewarding part of working on your bike. That moment when you think things are kinda f*cked up, followed shortly by that moment when you figure it all out.

It also makes you really appreciate this thread... right in between the clueless 14 yearolds and grumpy 50 yearolds on these boards lay a handful of folks that may actually know what they are talking about and are willing to help you out.

Salute

Posted: Feb 19, 2020 at 21:35 Quote
yeah, to be honest, without this thread I would probably be $150 down at a bike shop. need to get rid of my job at a restaurant and get one at a bike shop

Posted: Feb 19, 2020 at 21:38 Quote
Clean everything with isopropyl, and do whatever your service manual says for lube, put a little bit of grease like sickoleoum or Judy butter or that SRAM Red shit on the oring before you slide the can back on it will help it slide over a bit easier and stop the Oring from get torn

Posted: Feb 19, 2020 at 21:39 Quote
for sure, thank you very much mate

Posted: Feb 19, 2020 at 21:41 Quote
Orientation: No worries, it's free to rotate.

Cleaning: Meh, I say just wipe it with a lint-free cloth unless there's clearly dirt in there.

Posted: Feb 19, 2020 at 21:43 Quote
yeah, don't see any dirt yet, but due to my bad service habits, I keep my bikes super clean, so I'm hoping I won't find to many issues with dirt. With the orientation, that is what I was assuming, but glad to have some reassurance, thank you

Posted: Feb 20, 2020 at 11:07 Quote
Anyone got any tips for checking if there's a leak in a brake caliper? Strap holding the lever 'on' overnight with brake blocks in or something?

Posted: Feb 20, 2020 at 11:12 Quote
That's always the first thing to try. Clean everything thoroughly first so it's easier to spot the leak.

Posted: Feb 20, 2020 at 11:55 Quote
dingus wrote:
Anyone got any tips for checking if there's a leak in a brake caliper? Strap holding the lever 'on' overnight with brake blocks in or something?

Sprinkle baby powder on the caliper and lever body. Actuate the brake a few times and look for wet spots.

Posted: Feb 20, 2020 at 15:14 Quote
got it all off, and cleaned.. just need to get reassembled and greased now! thanks to all that helped me out

Posted: Feb 20, 2020 at 21:11 Quote
seraph wrote:
dingus wrote:

Sprinkle baby powder on the caliper and lever body. Actuate the brake a few times and look for wet spots.

This, an leave overnight

Posted: Feb 21, 2020 at 14:29 Quote
What would cause a shock to knock with the LSC dial closed and one click back

Posted: Feb 21, 2020 at 14:55 Quote
hey everyone what linkage bearing press is everyone using??

Posted: Feb 21, 2020 at 16:19 Quote
turfjon wrote:
hey everyone what linkage bearing press is everyone using??

Combination of Sockets, washers and an old nut & bolt.

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.011001
Mobile Version of Website