Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]
Author Message
Posted: Feb 22, 2020 at 16:30 Quote
Just got it all back together.. took it out on my jump, and it lost a bunch of pressure right away, pumped it back up, and it held it for the rest of the session. only thing is, it made this sound, in the video below.. don't know if it is bad, or what it is. If it isn't bad, I don't care about that noise, as I can't hear it over my cassette. it made this sound before the service, but not this loud.. thanks

(you will probably need to turn it up fairly loud to hear it.. and sorry for the horrific video quality)

Views: 68    Faves: 0    Comments: 0

Posted: Feb 22, 2020 at 16:33 Quote
Sounds like my bed when the misses is over

Posted: Feb 22, 2020 at 16:57 Quote
cyberoptixs wrote:
Sounds like my bed when the misses is over

Hopefully the noise in traqs' shock also stops in about three minutes.

Posted: Feb 22, 2020 at 16:58 Quote
do y'all think it's bad? like a scratching or something? Should I just not worry about it?

Posted: Feb 22, 2020 at 17:00 Quote
Sounds like air and oil mixing. I think there's a bad seal in there somewhere.

Posted: Feb 22, 2020 at 17:02 Quote
I see.. Would you advise taking it apart and checking them again? and what am I looking for on them?

Posted: Feb 22, 2020 at 17:04 Quote
EDIT: I'm not sure what's up with it. You could try taking it apart and ensuring the negative chamber isn't full of oil. If that doesn't do it, it's likely the IFP or damper, which may be more intensive than you (or most of us) are keen to undertake.

Posted: Feb 22, 2020 at 17:06 Quote
how would I get that out?

Posted: Feb 22, 2020 at 17:10 Quote
R-M-R wrote:
EDIT: I'm not sure what's up with it. You could try taking it apart and ensuring the negative chamber isn't full of oil. If that doesn't do it, it's likely the IFP or damper, which may be more intensive than you (or most of us) are keen to undertake.

I see, I'll slide the negative sleeve off real quick, cause I can do that without taking the bike off the shock, I'll let you know if it is

Posted: Feb 22, 2020 at 17:23 Quote
no oil in it.. very little, at least. What should I do if it loses pressure again? assume a broken seal or something? take it into a shop?

Posted: Feb 22, 2020 at 18:23 Quote
traqs wrote:
no oil in it.. very little, at least. What should I do if it loses pressure again? assume a broken seal or something? take it into a shop?
You lost pressure initially due to the chambers balancing.

Posted: Feb 22, 2020 at 20:32 Quote
ah i see, wasn't too sure, but thank you.

Posted: Feb 22, 2020 at 21:21 Quote
R-M-R wrote:
cyberoptixs wrote:
Sounds like my bed when the misses is over

Hopefully the noise in traqs' shock also stops in about three minutes.

Hahaha ouch man that hurt lol

Posted: Feb 22, 2020 at 21:53 Quote
ajax-ripper wrote:
traqs wrote:
no oil in it.. very little, at least. What should I do if it loses pressure again? assume a broken seal or something? take it into a shop?
You lost pressure initially due to the chambers balancing.

Thats definitely part of it.


It also sounds like the damper fluid could be aerated. Therefore you need to get a damper service done by a reputable shop or suspension service center.

Yes, it is possible to do the damper service at home. For the cost of damper oil and the tools etc you'd be better off getting it done by someone who does damper service on rock shox.

Here's the service PDF if you're trying to see how it is done:
https://www.servicearchive.sram.com/sites/default/files/techdocs/gen0000000004932_rev_b_2016_monarch_rt3_r_english.pdf

Posted: Feb 23, 2020 at 1:07 Quote
R-M-R wrote:
cyberoptixs wrote:
Sounds like my bed when the misses is over

Hopefully the noise in traqs' shock also stops in about three minutes.
lol lol lol


 
Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.011855
Mobile Version of Website