Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]
Posted: Feb 23, 2020 at 7:38 Quote
nubbs wrote:
It also sounds like the damper fluid could be aerated. Therefore you need to get a damper service done by a reputable shop or suspension service center.

that's definitely what that sound is.

Posted: Feb 23, 2020 at 8:34 Quote
Hi I'm looking to replace the air shaft assembly on my 2016 Fox 34 27.5+. I am trying to decrease the travel to 120mm. The fox part number that I need is 820-02-401-KIT according to the fox manual. I cannot find that part online.

My question is, are any of the newer air shaft assemblies compatible? I saw that they are still using the NA2 air shaft on the new 34's.

Thank you!

Posted: Feb 23, 2020 at 8:44 Quote
Hi is it worth it to replace my air shock for a coil shock on my old géométrie bike: 2013 stumpjumper evo

Posted: Feb 23, 2020 at 9:00 Quote
etier wrote:
Hi I'm looking to replace the air shaft assembly on my 2016 Fox 34 27.5+. I am trying to decrease the travel to 120mm. The fox part number that I need is 820-02-401-KIT according to the fox manual. I cannot find that part online.

My question is, are any of the newer air shaft assemblies compatible? I saw that they are still using the NA2 air shaft on the new 34's.

Thank you!

What’s the current travel of the fork? I

Posted: Feb 23, 2020 at 9:23 Quote
Matpelletier16 wrote:
Hi is it worth it to replace my air shock for a coil shock on my old géométrie bike: 2013 stumpjumper evo

No, for three reasons:

1. Unless the shock is in poor condition, the money would be better put toward a new bike, eventually. If the shock is in poor condition, then a new shock isn't a bad idea, but get a very cheap one.

2. That bikes requires a shock with a proprietary mount, so your options are extremely limited. You may be able to find a stock shock on sale for about the same price as a full service on your current shock.

3. The motion ratio curve of that bike is poorly suited to a coil.

Posted: Feb 23, 2020 at 9:24 Quote
R-M-R wrote:
Matpelletier16 wrote:

No, for three reasons:

1. Unless the shock is in poor condition, the money would be better put toward a new bike, eventually. If the shock is in poor condition, then a new shock isn't a bad idea, but get a very cheap one.

2. That bikes requires a shock with a proprietary mount, so your options are extremely limited.

3. The motion ratio curve of that bike is poorly suited to a coil.

if he gets a yolk he can swap to whatever shock he wants but i think the yolk is 150 bucks

Posted: Feb 23, 2020 at 9:32 Quote
cyberoptixs wrote:
if he gets a yolk he can swap to whatever shock he wants but i think the yolk is 150 bucks

True. I'm hesitant to recommend putting more money into the bike, though a BikeYoke and heavily discounted shock (with air spring) wouldn't be too expensive and could keep the bike going for another couple of years.

Posted: Feb 23, 2020 at 9:45 Quote
cyberoptixs wrote:
etier wrote:

Thank you!

Current travel is 150

Posted: Feb 23, 2020 at 9:48 Quote
etier wrote:
cyberoptixs wrote:
etier wrote:

Thank you!

Current travel is 150

couldnt you just use spacers to lower it and then adjust oil levels in the damper to what a 120mm fork would run?

Posted: Feb 23, 2020 at 10:01 Quote
cyberoptixs wrote:
etier wrote:
cyberoptixs wrote:

Current travel is 150

couldnt you just use spacers to lower it and then adjust oil levels in the damper to what a 120mm fork would run?
I am not sure. What I saw on youtube was to get a new air shaft. Fox makes the specific 120 air shaft but i cannot find it for sale anywhere l.

Posted: Feb 23, 2020 at 10:13 Quote
You are correct - you need the air shaft to lower your travel. Have you tried having your lbs order the shaft from Fox?

Posted: Feb 23, 2020 at 10:19 Quote
kwapik wrote:
You are correct - you need the air shaft to lower your travel. Have you tried having your lbs order the shaft from Fox?

Cool figured it would be like a RS fork where you could throw spacers in there

Posted: Feb 23, 2020 at 10:30 Quote
kwapik wrote:

Not yet, they are closed on Sunday. Thanks for your help

Posted: Feb 23, 2020 at 12:25 Quote
Yesterday the Norco branded hub of my 2018 125 went from loud, to almost silent to “catching” and making some really terrible noises. For the most part, the pawls catch when pedalling forward and spins freely when pedalling stops, but every once and a while, the freehub no longer spins freely. Obviously somethings going on and I want to pull things apart and take a look, but after pulling the cones off, the freehub body and axle are still solidly in place.

Any tips for pulling out the axle and/or pulling out the freehub body?

Posted: Feb 23, 2020 at 13:04 Quote
jsnfschr wrote:
Yesterday the Norco branded hub of my 2018 125 went from loud, to almost silent to “catching” and making some really terrible noises. For the most part, the pawls catch when pedalling forward and spins freely when pedalling stops, but every once and a while, the freehub no longer spins freely. Obviously somethings going on and I want to pull things apart and take a look, but after pulling the cones off, the freehub body and axle are still solidly in place.

Any tips for pulling out the axle and/or pulling out the freehub body?

Thread the nut on one end of the axle. Then use a appropriate size socket and hammer. tap the axle out of the hub. The freehub may require a 12mm or so Allen key

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.018736
Mobile Version of Website