Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]
Posted: Feb 25, 2020 at 17:31 Quote
RT-Hines wrote:
cmcrawfo wrote:
RT-Hines wrote:
I have Formula DHL-135 135x12mm thru axle hubs and want to upgrade to a louder hub, what is compatible with this. I have a sram x7 derailleur and cassete. and shimano deore 203mm 6 bolt brakes, the wheel is a 26" Syncros FR32. any help is appreciated.

Hope pro 4
that's what I was looking at but couldn't fine any that were 135x12mm they were all 150.

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/hope-pro-4-mtb-rear-hub-135mm-x-12mm-axle/rp-prod145297

First thing that came up in google.

Jensons also has them

Or just head over to the LBS.... you are gonna need them to build the wheel anyway.

Posted: Feb 25, 2020 at 21:04 Quote
cyberoptixs wrote:
RT-Hines wrote:
I have Formula DHL-135 135x12mm thru axle hubs and want to upgrade to a louder hub, what is compatible with this. I have a sram x7 derailleur and cassete. and shimano deore 203mm 6 bolt brakes, the wheel is a 26" Syncros FR32. any help is appreciated.

Get a hope pro 4 they sound angry

If noise is the biggest factor, pro 2 is louder

Posted: Feb 25, 2020 at 22:11 Quote
So been looking a coil springs and I see that some now especially the super lights will do from 2.5 to 3 inch strokes with a spacer behind it, so couldn’t a guy who has a 76mm stroke Shock buy a 65mm progressive spring and put a 10mm spacer like the SLS spring has and have 1mm preload, wouldn’t this work or I’m a crazy?

Posted: Feb 25, 2020 at 22:15 Quote
cyberoptixs wrote:
So been looking a coil springs and I see that some now especially the super lights will do from 2.5 to 3 inch strokes with a spacer behind it, so couldn’t a guy who has a 76mm stroke Shock buy a 65mm progressive spring and put a 10mm spacer like the SLS spring has and have 1mm preload, wouldn’t this work or I’m a crazy?
It depends. Some manufacturers list the actual stroke of the spring whereas others list the stroke of the matching shock. If your 65 mm sitting binds at 65 mm of compression your losing travel and will have the world's harshest bottom.

Posted: Feb 25, 2020 at 22:45 Quote
ajax-ripper wrote:
If your 65 mm sitting binds at 65 mm of compression your losing travel and will have the world's harshest bottom.

Perhaps not: the deformation and tearing of the preload collar should cushion the impact nicely. Wink

Posted: Feb 25, 2020 at 22:56 Quote
nojzilla wrote:
cyberoptixs wrote:
RT-Hines wrote:

Aren't pro 2 hubs prone to cracking when they are used with a 12 mm axle? IIRC because of the bearing size, the 12 mm axle's wall thickness had to be pretty thin that lead to poor durability.

Posted: Feb 26, 2020 at 0:02 Quote
Marasdfg wrote:
nojzilla wrote:
cyberoptixs wrote:

Aren't pro 2 hubs prone to cracking when they are used with a 12 mm axle? IIRC because of the bearing size, the 12 mm axle's wall thickness had to be pretty thin that lead to poor durability.

Didn't they find that, that was to do with maxles going thinner in the middle an not supporting the axle. Pretty sure Hope beefed up the axle an warrantied anyone affected?

Posted: Feb 26, 2020 at 1:10 Quote
nojzilla wrote:
Marasdfg wrote:
nojzilla wrote:

Didn't they find that, that was to do with maxles going thinner in the middle an not supporting the axle. Pretty sure Hope beefed up the axle an warrantied anyone affected?

But isn't it physically impossible to fit a beefier 12 mm axle to Pro 2 hubs? That's why Pro 2 evo exists, they are different hubs.

Posted: Feb 26, 2020 at 2:07 Quote
err yeah..........

Posted: Feb 26, 2020 at 2:19 Quote
Marasdfg wrote:
nojzilla wrote:
Marasdfg wrote:

But isn't it physically impossible to fit a beefier 12 mm axle to Pro 2 hubs? That's why Pro 2 evo exists, they are different hubs.

Original Pro 2 inner axles stepped down to 15mm under the freehub. When that started going sideways they revised the axle and released the evo, which has a 17mm OD inner axle under the freehub.
It is possible to update a pro 2 to evo, you have to replace the inner axle, freehub, endcaps and the little spacer for between the freehub body and the drive side hubshell bearing. The shell of a regular pro 2 and an evo is the same, bar some laser engraving...
Pro 4 axles and caps are backwards compatible, freehubs are not.

Posted: Feb 26, 2020 at 5:03 Quote
el-booto wrote:
Marasdfg wrote:
nojzilla wrote:

Original Pro 2 inner axles stepped down to 15mm under the freehub. When that started going sideways they revised the axle and released the evo, which has a 17mm OD inner axle under the freehub.
It is possible to update a pro 2 to evo, you have to replace the inner axle, freehub, endcaps and the little spacer for between the freehub body and the drive side hubshell bearing. The shell of a regular pro 2 and an evo is the same, bar some laser engraving...
Pro 4 axles and caps are backwards compatible, freehubs are not.

The more you know.. I always thought that Pro 2 evo bearings and freehub couldn't be fitted to regular Pro 2 hubs.

Posted: Feb 26, 2020 at 9:50 Quote
Hey guys

I am new to racing and got a race plate on my DH-bike. When I looked up how to put the race number onto the plate, I only found guides that explain how to mount the race plate on the bike.
So maybe someone in here can help me with that question.
I didn't know where to put this question, so I put it in this thread.

Edit: Now that I tried putting the Race plate on the bike, I am having issues with the cable routing. If I put the cables kind of along the handlebar and then route from the top behind the race plate, the cables are too long and also they move a lot back and forth, when I move the handlebar and scratch up on the plate and a few other spots. Will these problems go away if I just shorten the cables?

Jakob

Posted: Feb 26, 2020 at 11:47 Quote
You could try cutting holes in the race plate so the cables sit in their original spot? If you post a photo, that might make it easier to suggest cable routing options for you.

Posted: Feb 26, 2020 at 17:19 Quote
riish wrote:
You could try cutting holes in the race plate so the cables sit in their original spot? If you post a photo, that might make it easier to suggest cable routing options for you.
You need to check with your race organizer before cutting your plate. Some races are extremely picky about plate cutting.

Posted: Feb 26, 2020 at 18:20 Quote
talkingspoon wrote:
R-M-R wrote:
No harm in hitting the nut. If the axle puts up any resistance, it's best to not side-load the bearing, so a socket to support the inner race would be ideal.

Based off the picture. It looks like one of the bearings is required to come out with the axle

I've been beating the axle pretty darn good, but neither it nor the bearings are budging even a little bit. Any suggestions?

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.012572
Mobile Version of Website