Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]
Posted: Feb 26, 2020 at 18:32 Quote
What spring rate calculator does everyone use ? I have tried the TF tuned and ride fox one both give me different numbers and they even close to each other lol

Posted: Feb 26, 2020 at 20:24 Quote
cyberoptixs wrote:
What spring rate calculator does everyone use ? I have tried the TF tuned and ride fox one both give me different numbers and they even close to each other lol

That is strange. I was curious so i ran my set up thorough both. The 2 calculators are returning diff springs rates for me as well. The fox calculator returning 300lbs while the TF tune calculator returns 375. Confused

Naive guess, the calculators assume different values for frame progressivity.

Posted: Feb 26, 2020 at 20:48 Quote
I have a pair of 2020 fox 36 831 boost 26in 100m. My buddy wants my fork lower legs cause i painted them orange and i want fox forks on my trail bike. Would it be possible to convert my fox 36 forks to a 29/27.5+ setup by changing the fork lower legs to boost 29/27.5+ and the air leg to a 150mm? i know it will be a steeper rake but i want that

Posted: Feb 26, 2020 at 21:23 Quote
freestyIAM wrote:
cyberoptixs wrote:

That is strange. I was curious so i ran my set up thorough both. The 2 calculators are returning diff springs rates for me as well. The fox calculator returning 300lbs while the TF tune calculator returns 375. Confused

Naive guess, the calculators assume different values for frame progressivity.

Yea I got 450 on the fox one and 600 on the TF tuned

Posted: Feb 26, 2020 at 22:03 Quote
cyberoptixs wrote:

I used the TF tuned one, it gave me a weight about 50lbs too low as i didn't know the leverage curve of my bike. But to be totally fair, what the calculator says is a calculated "estimate" normally ill use it to get a general idea, then order 2 springs close to it, and *cough* return the *unused* one Smile ex. Tried the 450lb and 500lb coil for my Cane Creek shock, ended up using the 500lb one as it was more supportive than the recommended 450lb one

Posted: Feb 26, 2020 at 22:27 Quote
I've allways understood, use a calculator then add 50-100lb depending on how you ride

Posted: Feb 26, 2020 at 22:58 Quote
nojzilla wrote:
I've allways understood, use a calculator then add 50-100lb depending on how you ride

Yeah that's what I done, the calcs always give reccommend a spring that is 50lbs light for me.

Posted: Feb 27, 2020 at 7:59 Quote
bigburd wrote:
nojzilla wrote:

Yeah that's what I done, the calcs always give reccommend a spring that is 50lbs light for me.

For what its worth, I have my bike modeled in Linkage X3 which also has a spring rate calculator but one that does take into account the actual kinematics of the bike and it returns ~425lbs. So bang on for the TF Tuned calculated value (375) with the extra 50lbs that everyone is talks about adding.

Posted: Feb 27, 2020 at 20:29 Quote
Little problem that I thought would come up. I have just built up a dirt jump bike and carried over many parts that I had laying around. One part was the rear wheel which surprisingly was the right width but it just has a QR axel. The frame just has drop outs nothing fancy so the wheel slides forward when ridding it. Is there a solution to this like swapping the axle for something or is it just needing a wheel with nuts to secure it?
Thanks as always.

Posted: Feb 27, 2020 at 20:53 Quote
bike2850 wrote:
Little problem that I thought would come up. I have just built up a dirt jump bike and carried over many parts that I had laying around. One part was the rear wheel which surprisingly was the right width but it just has a QR axel. The frame just has drop outs nothing fancy so the wheel slides forward when ridding it. Is there a solution to this like swapping the axle for something or is it just needing a wheel with nuts to secure it?
Thanks as always.
What hub do you have?

Posted: Feb 27, 2020 at 22:55 Quote
I'm sure I've seen bmx style chain tensioners that for a QR axle skewer, couldn't tell you where unfortunately.

Posted: Feb 28, 2020 at 0:24 Quote
bike2850 wrote:
Thanks as always.

Not a cheap fix, but a set of surly tuggnuts will get you sorted. Or could buy a cheapy set of BMX tensioners and some of the QR adapters that surly offer to suit...

Posted: Feb 28, 2020 at 1:06 Quote
So, spoke tension. How do you guys do it? Had my wheels properly realigned and checked by LBS this winter, but had a few problems with spokes coming loose last summer and I just tightened them to feel.

Any rules of thumb to how much tension there should be? Are noises normal for a short period after re-tightening?

Posted: Feb 28, 2020 at 3:10 Quote
Upduro wrote:
So, spoke tension. How do you guys do it? Had my wheels properly realigned and checked by LBS this winter, but had a few problems with spokes coming loose last summer and I just tightened them to feel.

Any rules of thumb to how much tension there should be? Are noises normal for a short period after re-tightening?
120 kg force on the Driveside of a rear wheel and the disk side of the front, received on the opposite side needs to be set so that dish is correct. You'll get some variance which is okay so long as the when is true.

Posted: Feb 28, 2020 at 3:30 Quote
ajax-ripper wrote:
Upduro wrote:

120 kg force on the Driveside of a rear wheel and the disk side of the front, received on the opposite side needs to be set so that dish is correct. You'll get some variance which is okay so long as the when is true.

Any way to get this right without a spoke tension meter?

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.011145
Mobile Version of Website