Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]
Posted: Feb 28, 2020 at 19:38 Quote
ways to true a wheel without a truing stand? first time doing this, have a wrench, but no stand.. How do I know how tight to go? and all that goodness?

Posted: Feb 28, 2020 at 19:41 Quote
traqs wrote:
ways to true a wheel without a truing stand? first time doing this, have a wrench, but no stand.. How do I know how tight to go? and all that goodness?
zip tie on the chainstay or seatstay.

Posted: Feb 28, 2020 at 20:17 Quote
cyberoptixs wrote:
anyone run oval chainrings? Do they actually make a difference

I noticed the difference straight away, the smoother, even pedal stroke definitely puts out more torque but at the cost of using more energy too. Like being in the next gear so, its line a 34 feels like a 36.. for clipped in long distance they're good but for flat pedals or getting sideways not worth it

Posted: Feb 28, 2020 at 20:27 Quote
nojzilla wrote:
cyberoptixs wrote:
anyone run oval chainrings? Do they actually make a difference

I noticed the difference straight away, the smoother, even pedal stroke definitely puts out more torque but at the cost of using more energy too. Like being in the next gear so, its line a 34 feels like a 36.. for clipped in long distance they're good but for flat pedals or getting sideways not worth it

I found they really help give you more power longer during technical climbs and then are invisible otherwise.... I would say my technique could use some work in terms of pedal mashing too...

Posted: Feb 28, 2020 at 21:07 Quote
Good to know maybe I will start will some better technique first and go from there was never much of a climber

Posted: Feb 28, 2020 at 21:11 Quote
cyberoptixs wrote:
Good to know maybe I will start will some better technique first and go from there was never much of a climber
Will work wonders, a round pedal stroke makes riding more enjoyable.

Posted: Feb 28, 2020 at 21:34 Quote
sosburn wrote:
If my rear shock is making squelching noises (air in damper) is it fine to ride it one last day or nah? my other shock is still at fox so can’t swap them out yet.

I rode 8 hrs of continuous bike park laps on my squeaky cane creek air shock while my cane creek coil was in the shop. sent the biggest drop i could find, then dripped silicon oil into the seal after every lap. I think you'll be good to ride it though

Posted: Feb 29, 2020 at 1:14 Quote
traqs wrote:

As nobble said, a zip tie or any indicator is sufficient for lateral trueness. It can also work in the radial direction if you position it carefully and ensure it doesn't move.

You can ensure the rim remains centered in a similar manner or by measuring the distance to the frame with calipers.

Tension is more difficult. I seem to recall a phone app that would calculate tension from acoustic frequency, but I can't find it in the Play store. You can check evenness by ear, but you won't know if they're all correct or uniformly incorrect.

Posted: Feb 29, 2020 at 5:32 Quote
hi, I'm not expecting one to exist but can't hurt to ask, does anyone know of a 26.0mm diameter dropper post?

Posted: Feb 29, 2020 at 6:02 Quote
Hoboinalambo wrote:
hi, I'm not expecting one to exist but can't hurt to ask, does anyone know of a 26.0mm diameter dropper post?
Maybe gravity dropper depending on your needs, you'd be limited to 100mm drop and external only routing.

Posted: Feb 29, 2020 at 15:43 Quote
Hi, guys is there any way for me to make my coil fork more progressive without adding more oil ?

Thanks.

Posted: Feb 29, 2020 at 15:52 Quote
Blackmetalgoat wrote:
Hi, guys is there any way for me to make my coil fork more progressive without adding more oil ?

• Progressive-wound springs.
• Multiple springs of different rates.
• Similar effect from a damper modification: firmer high-speed compression damping with a more digressive tune.

There's a fair chance you can find an off-the-shelf progressive spring. Other modifications may require custom parts and/or expensive service work.

Posted: Feb 29, 2020 at 16:04 Quote
R-M-R wrote:
Blackmetalgoat wrote:

• Progressive-wound springs.
• Multiple springs of different rates.
• Similar effect from a damper modification: firmer high-speed compression damping with a more digressive tune.

There's a fair chance you can find an off-the-shelf progressive spring. Other modifications may require custom parts and/or expensive service work.
Thanks .

Posted: Feb 29, 2020 at 17:12 Quote
Blackmetalgoat wrote:

Thanks.

what fork

Posted: Feb 29, 2020 at 18:09 Quote
Get some headphones, put them up to the fork, and blast some After the Burial.

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.011637
Mobile Version of Website