Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]
Posted: Mar 24, 2020 at 17:14 Quote
riish wrote:
cyberoptixs wrote:
Would a Shimano GS cage derailleur work with a 11-42 cassette and a 32 tooth chainring

On a hardtail or FS bike?

FS... I also have a goat link too if that makes a difference

Posted: Mar 24, 2020 at 17:22 Quote
toddball wrote:
Installed a OneUp dropper post on the GF's Diamondback Sync'r, and can't clamp the post tight enough to keep the seat in the right position without the dropper binding up. Tried applying fiber grip to get a little more friction out of the clamp interface, didn't work. Any ideas?

Grease the inside of the seatpost collar and the bolt, try again
The other thing to check is the pressure in the cartridge. Both my oneup posts were under half the recommended pressure... the teflon paste grease they use can hold up the works too, maybe dismantle it and clean/reassemble with some thinner grease (I like slickoleum for this task)

Posted: Mar 24, 2020 at 17:24 Quote
cyberoptixs wrote:
riish wrote:
cyberoptixs wrote:
Would a Shimano GS cage derailleur work with a 11-42 cassette and a 32 tooth chainring

It does make a bit of difference. I know a few people on here that have successfully got it working with Zee derailleurs, although it won't shift optimally and your results will vary depending on how much chain growth the frame has. Do you already have the parts?

Posted: Mar 24, 2020 at 17:28 Quote
riish wrote:
cyberoptixs wrote:
riish wrote:

It does make a bit of difference. I know a few people on here that have successfully got it working with Zee derailleurs, although it won't shift optimally and your results will vary depending on how much chain growth the frame has. Do you already have the parts?

Wasn’t going to run a zee derailleur I was going to run a XT M786 with a zee shifter, roommate knocked my bike over and mangled my derailleur, the M786 is the only 10 speed I could find jensonUSA has one review saying the Medium cage would work but I never trust reviews lol

Posted: Mar 24, 2020 at 17:41 Quote
That der has a 35t capacity. Assuming you are 1x on the front, 42-11=31, so you should be good to go.

Posted: Mar 24, 2020 at 17:50 Quote
el-booto wrote:
toddball wrote:
Installed a OneUp dropper post on the GF's Diamondback Sync'r, and can't clamp the post tight enough to keep the seat in the right position without the dropper binding up. Tried applying fiber grip to get a little more friction out of the clamp interface, didn't work. Any ideas?

Grease the inside of the seatpost collar and the bolt, try again
The other thing to check is the pressure in the cartridge. Both my oneup posts were under half the recommended pressure... the teflon paste grease they use can hold up the works too, maybe dismantle it and clean/reassemble with some thinner grease (I like slickoleum for this task)

Thank you! The post only had 125psi at full extension, pumped it up to recommended 250-300psi and it works now!

Posted: Mar 24, 2020 at 17:50 Quote
Yeah you’re good to go. Even on long travel bikes with long chain growth, GS cage is enough up to the 46t cassette. SGS is only needed for the 3x set up.

Posted: Mar 24, 2020 at 18:13 Quote
Awesome thanks guys

Posted: Mar 25, 2020 at 1:57 Quote
luke2012 wrote:
Anybody used Race face Atlas Cinch cranks for SS setup?

I've seen them used on singlespeed bikes, but not sure if any modding is required,

Looking at using this as a setup;

Race face cinch cranks
with this chainring

and this BSA 30 EURO 68mm bb

So in essence, can i just buy that bb, cranks, chainring and i'm good to go for a singlespeed setup? I.E 10T rear driver, 28t Chainring?

I understand this is a very basic question to some, but i have more of a bmx background. Not really ridden in about 7 years.

Yes, just make sure if you are using a BMX driver/cog that you get a chain wide enough for that. If you are using a SS spacer kit on an mtb hub with 1 cog out of a 10 speed cassette then your mtb chain will be good (will have to go bigger than 28x10t though).
Also getting a cheaper steel cinch chainring wouldn't hurt.

Posted: Mar 25, 2020 at 2:52 Quote
arphia wrote:
luke2012 wrote:

I've seen them used on singlespeed bikes, but not sure if any modding is required,

Race face cinch cranks
with this chainring

So in essence, can i just buy that bb, cranks, chainring and i'm good to go for a singlespeed setup? I.E 10T rear driver, 28t Chainring?

I understand this is a very basic question to some, but i have more of a bmx background. Not really ridden in about 7 years.

Yes, just make sure if you are using a BMX driver/cog that you get a chain wide enough for that. If you are using a SS spacer kit on an mtb hub with 1 cog out of a 10 speed cassette then your mtb chain will be good (will have to go bigger than 28x10t though).

Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated,
I’ll be using a 135 spacing mtb hub with a 10t driver (Octane One pro hub)

And good shout on the chainring, just found a cheaper one!

Do I Interpret “crank arms only” as minus the spindle? Because the only spindles I can find for it are part of conversion kits. Apologies for the follow up question, labour to press order so just wanted to make sure. Thanks again, much appreciated.

Posted: Mar 25, 2020 at 15:51 Quote
Any issues with running XTR FC-M980 cranks on a boost bike w/ 11sp? Preferably 32t on the outer ring.

Posted: Mar 25, 2020 at 21:48 Quote
Ideas for mounting this cheapo front light that came with by ebike kit. Mount bracket is plastic so can't take a bolt that needs real torque on it (i'd thought to put it on one of the stem bolts before i realized that).

I think it assumes the fork it was destined for was a cheapo drilled for a front reflector mount through the arch (something like this https://www.srsuntour.com/products/fork/XCE28-6328.html) and my fork doesn't have that, not that this dart 3 is high end.

Thx

Posted: Mar 26, 2020 at 6:20 Quote
I'm servicing a RS monarch plus. I have problems during bleeding of the damper. I filled the shaft and installed the air piston. After pushing the shaft down i cant pull the shaft up. It is as if it is locked. (Rebound is full open)
I am following the rockshox service manual.

So i opened it again to check shim stack and piston orientation and that is ok.

Could something be wrong with the rebound circuit?

Posted: Mar 26, 2020 at 6:48 Quote
luke2012 wrote:
arphia wrote:
luke2012 wrote:

Race face cinch cranks
with this chainring

Do I Interpret “crank arms only” as minus the spindle? Because the only spindles I can find for it are part of conversion kits. Apologies for the follow up question, labour to press order so just wanted to make sure. Thanks again, much appreciated.

At that price one would hope the spindle comes with them... you also gotta choose shell width so i'd think it does, but it doesn't hurt shooting them an email?
Im on a very similar setup, turbine cinch + hope 30mm bb, been trouble free for more than 2 years now.
Half link chains chew up the ring a bit, so either get a steel one or, if your wheel slammery allows, run a normal chain.

Posted: Mar 26, 2020 at 7:55 Quote
noisette wrote:
luke2012 wrote:
arphia wrote:

At that price one would hope the spindle comes with them... you also gotta choose shell width so i'd think it does, but it doesn't hurt shooting them an email?
Im on a very similar setup, turbine cinch + hope 30mm bb, been trouble free for more than 2 years now.
Half link chains chew up the ring a bit, so either get a steel one or, if your wheel slammery allows, run a normal chain.

Confirmed spindle does so that's a good sign. Been advised to use the hope BB you run, apparently the RF one is naff, thanks for the advice re chain.

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.012518
Mobile Version of Website