Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]
Posted: Mar 27, 2020 at 14:34 Quote
cmcrawfo wrote:
seraph wrote:
You're not gonna reuse the rim unless it's carbon though. Alloy rims can't be re-laced.

You are a really Debbie downer on the marginal maintenance practices today, aren’t you. Wink

I'm a professional wheel builder. We don't reuse alloy rims.

Posted: Mar 27, 2020 at 14:41 Quote
seraph wrote:
You're not gonna reuse the rim unless it's carbon though. Alloy rims can't be re-laced.

Carbon Rovals. the roval hub sucks tho. thinking maybe onyx or CK.

Posted: Mar 27, 2020 at 14:45 Quote
seraph wrote:
cmcrawfo wrote:
seraph wrote:

You are a really Debbie downer on the marginal maintenance practices today, aren’t you. Wink

I'm a professional wheel builder. We don't reuse alloy rims.

Ya, I get it. But just like the repacking of a sealed bearing, it can be pulled off in a pinch... backyard self service standards are ( and should be ) lower than paid for pros.

Posted: Mar 27, 2020 at 14:52 Quote
Just puzzled as to why one cannot reuse an alloy rim?
If it is straight and sound, what is the difference, other than cost?

Posted: Mar 27, 2020 at 14:56 Quote
mark-p wrote:
Same thought

Posted: Mar 27, 2020 at 15:47 Quote
cyberoptixs wrote:
Would a Shimano GS cage derailleur work with a 11-42 cassette and a 32 tooth chainring

Probably answered but I'm running 34 front ring and 11-42 with an xt GS cage with no problems on a fs bike

Posted: Mar 27, 2020 at 16:27 Quote
bike2850 wrote:
mark-p wrote:
Same thought

I honestly feel it’s a throw back to rim brake rims and lower quality rims ( although, at best I am a hack, not a pro) . .. but, nipple holes could have been loaded / bedded in one direction and a re-lace could change that, stressing them. If you feel the rim is in great condition, it shouldn’t pose any risk.

On a professional mechanic level ... anything that could increase risk of failure isn’t worth charging a customer for, and if the rim isn’t Perfect, it’s going reflect added time to the rebuild, and make even tensioning very challenging.

Posted: Mar 27, 2020 at 17:43 Quote
cmcrawfo wrote:
On a professional mechanic level ... anything that could increase risk of failure isn’t worth charging a customer for, and if the rim isn’t Perfect, it’s going reflect added time to the rebuild, and make even tensioning very challenging.

That's the answer.

I like building wheels and can still be talked into it on occasion. If I'm building for a customer, I would urge them to reconsider if it doesn't sit perfectly flush against a new rim or if there's significant wear on the brake track, it would cost more because I have to undo all the nipples (rather than cutting out the spokes), and I wouldn't offer follow-up service (tensioning and minor truing), which is enough to dissuade almost anyone. Some people are super keen to maintain original parts on a vintage bike, for example.

If I'm building for my own cobbled-together commuter bike, then sure, I'll reuse everything and I have no one but myself to blame if it's a fiasco.

Posted: Mar 27, 2020 at 22:03 Quote
cmcrawfo wrote:
bike2850 wrote:
mark-p wrote:
Same thought

I honestly feel it’s a throw back to rim brake rims and lower quality rims ( although, at best I am a hack, not a pro) . .. but, nipple holes could have been loaded / bedded in one direction and a re-lace could change that, stressing them. If you feel the rim is in great condition, it shouldn’t pose any risk.

That's what it is for me. As the in-house wheel expert for my shop it's easiest for me to just stay in "pro wheel builder" mode all the time. Sure you can rebuild on old alloy rims, but like cmcrawfo said, getting even tension and true is harder once a rim has already been built into a wheel once before.

Posted: Mar 28, 2020 at 9:28 Quote
thova wrote:
I'm servicing a RS monarch plus. I have problems during bleeding of the damper. I filled the shaft and installed the air piston. After pushing the shaft down i cant pull the shaft up. It is as if it is locked. (Rebound is full open)
I am following the rockshox service manual.

So i opened it again to check shim stack and piston orientation and that is ok.

Could something be wrong with the rebound circuit?

Yes I have had this exact problem a few times. The rebound circuit needs to be pulled apart and cleaned and re greased. There's a seal or two that are not moving freely enough within the adjustment assembly behind the actual rebound knob.

Not too difficult to take care of if do it slowly and ensure things go back correctly.

Posted: Mar 28, 2020 at 10:46 Quote
The creak is back. Maybe the stem is walking up the steerer? I am running a Trust fork. Maybe I'm not getting it tight enough or maybe I need some carbon assembly paste

Posted: Mar 28, 2020 at 11:09 Quote
Did you check your handlebar stem interface? Your creak could be from there.

Posted: Mar 28, 2020 at 11:26 Quote
Trust forks have so many pivots and it could be from any one of them. Blank Stare

Posted: Mar 28, 2020 at 11:34 Quote
seraph wrote:
Trust forks have so many pivots and it could be from any one of them. Blank Stare

That’s probably Biggest draw back to unconventional fork designs like that.

Posted: Mar 28, 2020 at 11:50 Quote
Its none of that. It does it when I turn the handlebars from side to side and im not on it.

I'll post it on youtube and give you guys a link.

https://youtu.be/qerD7NUWwy4

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.012582
Mobile Version of Website