Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]
Posted: Apr 1, 2020 at 20:32 Quote
ajax-ripper wrote:
MTBrandonLee wrote:
Hey guys, I'm curious whether or not the Oneup EDC tool will fit in a rockshox boxxer. I don't see why not as the tool is the same diameter throughout. I see that One up says it has to be a tapered steerer, but that doesnt make sense cuz the tool cant be wider at the bottom...otherwise you couldnt pull it out of the steerer tube.
Note: I don't care if i'm "not supposed to do it" nor do I care if its a safety hazard. I just want to know if it would fit.
Lots of straight steer tube have a taper as well. they get smaller towards the bottom which will prevent the tools from fitting.
That makes a lot of sense actually. Thanks for clearing that up!

Posted: Apr 1, 2020 at 21:20 Quote
Can I used sickoleoum to lube my freehub?

Posted: Apr 1, 2020 at 21:45 Quote
cyberoptixs wrote:

Sure, it wont last as long as thicker greases, but i've been using it in my Hope hubs for 6 years now and i see no issues.

Posted: Apr 1, 2020 at 21:58 Quote
goytay wrote:
cyberoptixs wrote:

Sure, it wont last as long as thicker greases, but i've been using it in my Hope hubs for 6 years now and i see no issues.

Cool I tried the park tool grease in my hope hubs and even though I used very little it silenced the hub and I want that loud zing that hopes have

Posted: Apr 1, 2020 at 22:13 Quote
cyberoptixs wrote:

I think you'd be better off with an oil instead of a grease. I've had good luck using a coating of transmission oil in my 240s hub and on the bmx too.

Posted: Apr 1, 2020 at 22:16 Quote
cyberoptixs wrote:
Cool I tried the park tool grease in my hope hubs and even though I used very little it silenced the hub and I want that loud zing that hopes have

The thinner the lubricant, the louder the buzz.

Posted: Apr 1, 2020 at 22:19 Quote
R-M-R wrote:
cyberoptixs wrote:

But will the thinner lube have negitive effects like more wear and tear on the pawls?

Posted: Apr 1, 2020 at 22:35 Quote
cyberoptixs wrote:
R-M-R wrote:
cyberoptixs wrote:

But will the thinner lube have negitive effects like more wear and tear on the pawls?
Realistically you could run your hope hubs without lube and the pawls/ring gear would likely outlive the rest of the hub.

Posted: Apr 1, 2020 at 22:42 Quote
ajax-ripper wrote:
cyberoptixs wrote:
R-M-R wrote:

Realistically you could run your hope hubs without lube and the pawls/ring gear would likely outlive the rest of the hub.

Okay fair enough lol

O+
Posted: Apr 2, 2020 at 5:02 Quote
MTBrandonLee wrote:
ajax-ripper wrote:
MTBrandonLee wrote:
Hey guys, I'm curious whether or not the Oneup EDC tool will fit in a rockshox boxxer. I don't see why not as the tool is the same diameter throughout. I see that One up says it has to be a tapered steerer, but that doesnt make sense cuz the tool cant be wider at the bottom...otherwise you couldnt pull it out of the steerer tube.
Note: I don't care if i'm "not supposed to do it" nor do I care if its a safety hazard. I just want to know if it would fit.
Lots of straight steer tube have a taper as well. they get smaller towards the bottom which will prevent the tools from fitting.
That makes a lot of sense actually. Thanks for clearing that up!

I ran the EDC in a Fox 40. The tool will fit in there just fine, as it slides in above where the straight steerer starts to taper. You can't run the storage compartment or CO2 screwed onto the bottom of the tool though, not enough room for that. Just the tool, which is still better than not carrying any tools on the DH bike. You also can't run the plug that presses into the bottom of the steerer, so I just used a chunk of motto foam in there to stop mud and dirt from getting in.

Posted: Apr 2, 2020 at 10:16 Quote
riish wrote:
R-M-R wrote:
That's encouraging.

riish, if the air loss doesn't stop, maybe raise the pressure a little to really force the sealant into the casing. Once air loss slows or stops at 50 - 60 psi, test whether air loss is effectively zero at normal riding pressure.
Got it to seal up after 36 hours of flipping and pumping, now it holds 25psi consistently. Thanks for the help! Salute

You can also spray the inside of the sidewalls with Flex Seal or any rubber spray.
I like Rust-Oleum LeakSeal. Only $10 a can.
Works best with new (dry) tire.

O+
Posted: Apr 2, 2020 at 15:53 Quote
I mounted up a new set of tires this morning but had to use a tube in the rear (long story). Of course, pinch flatted towards the end of my ride today and so i gotta take the tube out. But i literally cannot get the tire off of the wheel no matter how hard i pull. Can't even get a tire lever underneath. it's a WTB trail boss. Any tips for getting it off? i tried using a flathead screwdriver but stopped as i don't want to pierce the tire bead.

Posted: Apr 2, 2020 at 16:00 Quote
newbermuda wrote:
I mounted up a new set of tires this morning but had to use a tube in the rear (long story). Of course, pinch flatted towards the end of my ride today and so i gotta take the tube out. But i literally cannot get the tire off of the wheel no matter how hard i pull. Can't even get a tire lever underneath. it's a WTB trail boss. Any tips for getting it off? i tried using a flathead screwdriver but stopped as i don't want to pierce the tire bead.

Get your thumbs together down low and push the bead towards the center of the rim. Sometimes pushing them towards the center channel can help them slide off the hook bead.

Posted: Apr 2, 2020 at 16:23 Quote
I have a hope. Pro4 front hub that is currently 20x110 can it be converted to 15x110 I emailed hope but with world events a response has been slow

O+
Posted: Apr 2, 2020 at 16:26 Quote
newbermuda wrote:
get a big industrial trash can, lay the wheel flat on the edge, and put all your weight down on the tire with hands on opposite sides.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.281239
Mobile Version of Website