Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]
Posted: Mar 31, 2020 at 3:04 Quote
R-M-R wrote:
riish wrote:
I'm using Joe's NoFlats as I have a bit left in a bottle. Might try Stans Race once I'm out of that.

Give the sealant a good swish all around the casing every time you flip it. I've done this at up to 5.5 bar (80 psi) on a fairly narrow tire, but you have to really trust the rim and tire to go that high!

Stan's Race is great at sealing punctures, but you can get away with a cheap, first-generation sealant like Stan's original or Orange Seal original for sealing a casing.

Normal to have nothing seeping through the sidewall at all during this process?
It seems like it needs a few strokes of the floor pump every 20 minutes to keep 50psi.

Posted: Mar 31, 2020 at 7:13 Quote
riish wrote:
Normal to have nothing seeping through the sidewall at all during this process?
It seems like it needs a few strokes of the floor pump every 20 minutes to keep 50psi.

Usually, you'll see tiny dots of sealant on the sidewall. If you don't see sealant on the sidewalls, maybe the air is escaping somewhere else.

Posted: Mar 31, 2020 at 7:38 Quote
FWIW I've had a couple of tires (WTBs) behave in exactly the way that Riish observed - definitely losing air through the sidewalls but no visible sealant seepage. Sealed perfectly after a couple of days of the shake / lay on one side / pump / shake / lay on the other side routine.

Posted: Mar 31, 2020 at 7:45 Quote
That's encouraging.

riish, if the air loss doesn't stop, maybe raise the pressure a little to really force the sealant into the casing. Once air loss slows or stops at 50 - 60 psi, test whether air loss is effectively zero at normal riding pressure.

Posted: Mar 31, 2020 at 8:38 Quote
Anyone know which bore cap tool it is for M4s? (x2 lever)

Caliper looks like this

Posted: Mar 31, 2020 at 11:57 Quote
Does anyone know what the weight of a Fox Factory 180mm 27.5" fork is and whether it can be converted to grip 2, and if it can how much it weighs post conversion?

Posted: Mar 31, 2020 at 12:03 Quote
Fox has most of their weights posted on their site. You should also be able to find the weight of their older forks as well.

Posted: Mar 31, 2020 at 12:09 Quote
Yo,

So been a bit of an idiot.

Setting up my bike tubeless (not for the first time) and have got to the point where the wheel is on the rim, with sealant inside, ready to inflate and i realise my floor pump is at my girlfriends. I can get it tomorrow morning (12 hours time) but with the sealant sitting inside overnight will this be an issue? Should i take the wheel of the rim and just restart tomorrow?

Thanks in advance.

G

Posted: Mar 31, 2020 at 12:23 Quote
Depends on the sealant. Some dry quickly, like Orange Seal original. Some essentially never dry, like Bontrager's sealant - I tested it by putting a drop on my work bench and it stayed liquid for months!

Even if your sealant dries quickly, overnight shouldn't be too bad. Try to reduce air exposure. Maybe put it outside, away from any breeze, if it's cooler outside than inside.

Posted: Mar 31, 2020 at 13:58 Quote
gotohe11carolina wrote:
Fox has most of their weights posted on their site. You should also be able to find the weight of their older forks as well.
not that I can find, they only seem to show the start weight of any given fork. No further details seem to be available.

Posted: Mar 31, 2020 at 14:22 Quote
gafraser92 wrote:
Yo,

Setting up my bike tubeless (not for the first time) and have got to the point where the wheel is on the rim, with sealant inside, ready to inflate and i realise my floor pump is at my girlfriends. I can get it tomorrow morning (12 hours time) but with the sealant sitting inside overnight will this be an issue? Should i take the wheel of the rim and just restart tomorrow?

Thanks in advance.

G

Couldn't you infante it at the petrol station?

Posted: Mar 31, 2020 at 14:45 Quote
We can only do essential travel here.

Posted: Mar 31, 2020 at 14:54 Quote
Does anyone know is SRAM eagle nx shifters will work with SRAM sx Deoralliur

Posted: Mar 31, 2020 at 15:04 Quote
gafraser92 wrote:
Yo,

Thanks in advance.

G
it’s should be fine it’s Meant to not dry out ????

Posted: Mar 31, 2020 at 15:27 Quote
landscapeben wrote:
Does anyone know what the weight of a Fox Factory 180mm 27.5" fork is and whether it can be converted to grip 2, and if it can how much it weighs post conversion?

I think if it’s 2015 or newer, it can be converted to grip 2 and I think it adds less than 100g. Here’s my old 36 180. It’s a 26”, but the weight should be the same as the 27.5. The steerer is cut to 8” on this one.

2015 Fox 36 Float 180 4.19 lbs with steerer tube cut to 8

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.011985
Mobile Version of Website