Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]
Posted: Mar 31, 2020 at 16:03 Quote
Cianryan wrote:
Does anyone know is SRAM eagle nx shifters will work with SRAM sx Deoralliur
all eagle works with all eagle

Posted: Mar 31, 2020 at 16:13 Quote
bigburd wrote:
We can only do essential travel here.
ah gotcha I don't watch the news or follow the covid thing, even though it's serious tv has to much fear mongering

Posted: Mar 31, 2020 at 17:19 Quote
What can happen if i put a 51mm offset fork to a bike designed for 42 44?

Posted: Mar 31, 2020 at 19:17 Quote
Noeserd wrote:

Short version: Nothing. It's fine.

Long version: About 7% less trail, meaning steering stability will feel like the head-tube angle is roughly a degree steeper, which decreases stability and gives a "lighter" steering feel. Front-centre and wheelbase are a touch longer, which slightly increases stability.

Rant: It doesn't matter what something was "designed for". When it comes to fit and handling, everything is approximate. It's even a good thing to experiment with options that weren't "designed" to work together because that's how things evolve. Every bike that was released in 1988 was "designed" to be perfect and every component was "designed" to work together, but we now know those bikes weren't perfect and bikes became better because people tried things outside of the original design envelope. So go nuts. Use whatever feels good.

Posted: Mar 31, 2020 at 19:48 Quote
Noeserd wrote:

The front wheel will 'flops' a bit more, like a chopper, but not nearly as bad. With the shorter stems, it actually feels more stable for straight lines.

Posted: Mar 31, 2020 at 22:01 Quote
Twenty6ers4life wrote:
landscapeben wrote:
Does anyone know what the weight of a Fox Factory 180mm 27.5" fork is and whether it can be converted to grip 2, and if it can how much it weighs post conversion?

I think if it’s 2015 or newer, it can be converted to grip 2 and I think it adds less than 100g. Here’s my old 36 180. It’s a 26”, but the weight should be the same as the 27.5. The steerer is cut to 8” on this one.

2015 Fox 36 Float 180 4.19 lbs with steerer tube cut to 8
Beer

Posted: Apr 1, 2020 at 7:40 Quote
R-M-R wrote:
Noeserd wrote:

Short version: Nothing. It's fine.

Long version: About 7% less trail, meaning steering stability will feel like the head-tube angle is roughly a degree steeper, which decreases stability and gives a "lighter" steering feel. Front-centre and wheelbase are a touch longer, which slightly increases stability.

Rant: It doesn't matter what something was "designed for". When it comes to fit and handling, everything is approximate. It's even a good thing to experiment with options that weren't "designed" to work together because that's how things evolve. Every bike that was released in 1988 was "designed" to be perfect and every component was "designed" to work together, but we now know those bikes weren't perfect and bikes became better because people tried things outside of the original design envelope. So go nuts. Use whatever feels good.

Thats good news. i just found a lyrik ultimate for 500 bucks Smile the hta is 64° and i do not say no for lighter steering thanks

Posted: Apr 1, 2020 at 7:52 Quote
Quick one guys;

What can the sektor solo airs handle? I’ve heard some people refer to them as a “newer” pike before the pikes returned, some say a lower quality rev, some say they can handle abuse, some say stick to light trails with them,

Anyone have any experience? Gone through the forums and usual review spots but not too much on general use.

I have an idea to lower one to 100mm and stick on a DJ bike...CRC have them from £400 down to £180 at minute...

Edit: this isn’t going to be a proper DJ rig, it’s more of ht trail frame. (Not the Zircus I’m building)

Posted: Apr 1, 2020 at 10:47 Quote
So another guy on the mtbr Trust shout thread is having the exact same issue as me.

It seems the expander plug is kinda crap. Ive temporary solved my problem by using my Tharsis pro stem. It expands from the bottom eliminating the need for a top cap.

Posted: Apr 1, 2020 at 11:11 Quote
reverend27 wrote:
So another guy on the mtbr Trust shout thread is having the exact same issue as me.

It seems the expander plug is kinda crap. Ive temporary solved my problem by using my Tharsis pro stem. It expands from the bottom eliminating the need for a top cap.
This isa pretty common thing with expander plugs, Its probably bets to try a different one.

Posted: Apr 1, 2020 at 11:19 Quote
ajax-ripper wrote:
reverend27 wrote:

This isa pretty common thing with expander plugs, Its probably bets to try a different one.
Apparently it makes the steerer bulge. So it becomes oval and obviously a oval steerer is going to hard to clamp onto.

Posted: Apr 1, 2020 at 18:38 Quote
Hey guys, I'm curious whether or not the Oneup EDC tool will fit in a rockshox boxxer. I don't see why not as the tool is the same diameter throughout. I see that One up says it has to be a tapered steerer, but that doesnt make sense cuz the tool cant be wider at the bottom...otherwise you couldnt pull it out of the steerer tube.
Note: I don't care if i'm "not supposed to do it" nor do I care if its a safety hazard. I just want to know if it would fit.

Posted: Apr 1, 2020 at 19:15 Quote
MTBrandonLee wrote:
Hey guys, I'm curious whether or not the Oneup EDC tool will fit in a rockshox boxxer. I don't see why not as the tool is the same diameter throughout. I see that One up says it has to be a tapered steerer, but that doesnt make sense cuz the tool cant be wider at the bottom...otherwise you couldnt pull it out of the steerer tube.
Note: I don't care if i'm "not supposed to do it" nor do I care if its a safety hazard. I just want to know if it would fit.
Lots of straight steer tube have a taper as well. they get smaller towards the bottom which will prevent the tools from fitting.

Posted: Apr 1, 2020 at 19:58 Quote
R-M-R wrote:
That's encouraging.

riish, if the air loss doesn't stop, maybe raise the pressure a little to really force the sealant into the casing. Once air loss slows or stops at 50 - 60 psi, test whether air loss is effectively zero at normal riding pressure.
Got it to seal up after 36 hours of flipping and pumping, now it holds 25psi consistently. Thanks for the help! Salute

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.019151
Mobile Version of Website