Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]
Posted: Apr 3, 2020 at 6:19 Quote
Redking wrote:
Shimano Deore LX E-Type derailleur FD-M580-E . Missing a small metal cap kind of piece that the bolt screws into to connect the spacer part to the derailleur. Does anyone know what this is called or where if I would be able to find one
Hey guys, quick question regarding Shimano Deore LX E-Type derailleur (FD-M580-E). I am missing a small metal cap kind of piece that the bolt screws into to connect the spacer part to the derailleur. Does anyone know what this is called or where/if I would be able to find one?

Cheers!

I believe it's item no 5/6 on this diagram. Not sure what the thread is though.

Posted: Apr 3, 2020 at 7:14 Quote
It's actually a screw and spacer that thread directly into the frame you're missing. Nothing to special, I'm sure you could find a new one at a hardware store.

Posted: Apr 3, 2020 at 7:50 Quote
Duderz7 wrote:
It's actually a screw and spacer that thread directly into the frame you're missing. Nothing to special, I'm sure you could find a new one at a hardware store.

Ok sweet, my misinterpretation! Thank you Smile

Posted: Apr 3, 2020 at 8:47 Quote
cyberoptixs wrote:
goytay wrote:
cyberoptixs wrote:
I have a hope. Pro4 front hub that is currently 20x110 can it be converted to 15x110 I emailed hope but with world events a response has been slow

Give the folks at kinetik cycles, i believe they have hope end caps you need. https://www.kinetikcycles.com/

cheers

Thanks man!!

Jenson also has them.

https://www.jensonusa.com/End-Caps-Conversion-Kits?brand=Hope+Technology

Posted: Apr 3, 2020 at 12:22 Quote
Any concerns with running a 27.5 fork on a 26?” And am I right in saying if I have a 110 boost spacing fork, I could run a 100 x 20 wheel?

Basically, looking at these Suntour aions, amazing reviews.
https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/suntour-aion-35-rc-boost-forks/rp-prod194870

Incredible deal on them. There’s also these for comparison not sure which are
Better suited.
https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/suntour-aion-35-boost-forks-2018/rp-prod194871

Posted: Apr 3, 2020 at 12:32 Quote
luke2012 wrote:
Any concerns with running a 27.5 fork on a 26?” And am I right in saying if I have a 110 boost spacing fork, I could run a 100 x 20 wheel?

Basically, looking at these Suntour aions, amazing reviews.
https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/suntour-aion-35-rc-boost-forks/rp-prod194870

Incredible deal on them. There’s also these for comparison not sure which are
Better suited.
https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/suntour-aion-35-boost-forks-2018/rp-prod194871
no issues running a 27.5 fork with 26. It'll raise your bb a tiny bit and slack out a little. in order to run a 100x15 hub you'll need a boost adapter that fits your hub, I think the MRP one is the best https://mrpbike.com/products/better-boost-hub-conversion-kits

Posted: Apr 3, 2020 at 12:37 Quote
Thankyou very much for your help. Hugely
Appreciated.

Posted: Apr 3, 2020 at 13:35 Quote
Hey guys - quick question. I have a giant contact switch dropper post with the old style dropper lever. The post wont extend to the top of its stroke every time and it seems like the lever is just finicky. Do you think a new lever would solve my problem? Thanks in advance.

Posted: Apr 3, 2020 at 14:33 Quote
Seeing as all the lever does is tell the post to go rather than how high it is most likely a problem with the post. It still may be the lever for some odd reason though and better not to completely rule it out as a possibility. Make sure that the lever stops due to the actuator on the post reaching its limit not because the lever has reached its limit.

When the post stops is it a dead stop like its binding or caught on anything or is it like a stop due to the cylinder inside the post? If it’s a hydraulic stop or it feels spongy at the top you most likely have air in the oil cartridge making that it will bob up and down, compressing the oil.

Also what model year is the post? Giant’s early posts (2017 and earlier) weren’t know for their reliability. This may be a warranty issue.

Posted: Apr 3, 2020 at 14:37 Quote
grambikes wrote:
Hey guys - quick question. I have a giant contact switch dropper post with the old style dropper lever. The post wont extend to the top of its stroke every time and it seems like the lever is just finicky. Do you think a new lever would solve my problem? Thanks in advance.
No. If your seatpost clamp is too tight it can cause it to bind. If not the cartridge inside will require replacement.

Posted: Apr 3, 2020 at 14:51 Quote
grambikes wrote:

No, a new lever won't solve your problems, but it will be worlds better to use than the older style levers. Even if the cable was extremely loose, if the post actuates at all, it should go to the top of the available travel.

You can test the functionality of the cartridge by unhooking the cable from the post and actuating the plunger the cable was connected to with your fingers, (or VERY gently with some pliers if your fingers don't fit) to see if it goes to full extension. If you need a cartridge replacement, they're dumb cheap and you can replace it with a few small allen keys (and possibly an adjustable wrench/bench vise if it's internally routed and the base is on too tight).

If you do go the route of fixing it, it might be around a hundred bucks for the cartridge, lever, and cable depending on where you find those parts. If it's one of the more recent iterations, or it's still tight without excess play or wear, it's probably worth it to fix imo.

Ajax is right about the binding, but it seems to be pretty difficult to get those giant posts to bind up - I've seen a few customers seemingly give it a good shot with about double the recommended torque with no issues.

Posted: Apr 3, 2020 at 16:06 Quote
Thanks guys. Bummer cause its brand new. I guess I will be going back to the shop!

Posted: Apr 3, 2020 at 16:13 Quote
Bflutz625 wrote:
Seeing as all the lever does is tell the post to go rather than how high it is most likely a problem with the post. It still may be the lever for some odd reason though and better not to completely rule it out as a possibility. Make sure that the lever stops due to the actuator on the post reaching its limit not because the lever has reached its limit.

When the post stops is it a dead stop like its binding or caught on anything or is it like a stop due to the cylinder inside the post? If it’s a hydraulic stop or it feels spongy at the top you most likely have air in the oil cartridge making that it will bob up and down, compressing the oil.

Also what model year is the post? Giant’s early posts (2017 and earlier) weren’t know for their reliability. This may be a warranty issue.

Im not sure exactly what year but I got it with a '19 Reign 2

Posted: Apr 3, 2020 at 20:46 Quote
grambikes wrote:
Bflutz625 wrote:

Im not sure exactly what year but I got it with a '19 Reign 2
I have a '19 reign as well, different externals, should be running on the same cartridge. It's been dead reliable, as have all the other contact series droppers I've sold in the past couple of years.
If you got it from a shop, it's under warranty. Lots of giant shops will keep a couple of those cartridges in stock.

IIRC even the cheapest '19 reigns coming with a shifter (paddle) style dropper lever, which is pretty smooth and I didn't see a real benefit to upgrading it - if you got a different style, that's just bad luck.

Posted: Apr 4, 2020 at 17:42 Quote
My buddy has a CC double barrel inline coil shock and its making a squelching noise when we turn in the HSR when it HSR is all the way out the shock is silent but a half a turn in and the noise starts, any ideas?

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.012776
Mobile Version of Website