Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]
Posted: Apr 9, 2020 at 20:25 Quote
It's definitely the CSU with the wheel out if I twist the fork legs a bit they pop

Posted: Apr 9, 2020 at 21:07 Quote
cyberoptixs wrote:
It's definitely the CSU with the wheel out if I twist the fork legs a bit they pop

worn bushings? Or do you mean popping of the stanchion/csu interface?

Posted: Apr 9, 2020 at 21:14 Quote
SS-Minox wrote:
cyberoptixs wrote:

where the stantchions are pressed into the crown

Posted: Apr 9, 2020 at 21:39 Quote
cyberoptixs wrote:
SS-Minox wrote:
cyberoptixs wrote:

Well that’s crappy...

Posted: Apr 9, 2020 at 22:12 Quote
SS-Minox wrote:
cyberoptixs wrote:
SS-Minox wrote:

Well that’s crappy...

Seems to be a common thing with long travel single crown forks, the green loctite is suppose to fix that

Posted: Apr 9, 2020 at 23:15 Quote
cyberoptixs wrote:

I also had this on a Pike. I used Loctite 290 penetrating compound. It did reduce the creaking noise. I applied some drops on the interface with the bike upside down. Let it penetrate the gap (it's actually amazing how it can flow in tiny spaces) dyring a night.

Posted: Apr 9, 2020 at 23:27 Quote
cyberoptixs wrote:
What number green loctite is used for a creaky CSU?

I've had great luck with Loctite 609. No creaks after a couple of years. I heard of some using Loctite 680 also. (I never have, I stick with 609) Here's a few differences I looked up:

609 — general purpose retaining compound. Low viscosity. Ideal for gaps up to .005". Sheer strength of 3000 psi and good for temperatures up to 300°F. Fully fixtures in 24 hours.

680 — high strength retaining compound. High viscosity. For gaps up to .015". Sheer strength of 4000 psi and temperatures up to 300°F. Fully fixtures in 10 minutes.

Posted: Apr 10, 2020 at 0:30 Quote
Thanks for the info guys

Posted: Apr 10, 2020 at 5:45 Quote
Just for context bike came with the cane creek 10 series headset which does have a plastic crown race, swapped it for a metal one for a 40 and it went right away.

Posted: Apr 10, 2020 at 10:41 Quote
So I have busted my ultimate guide lever, I cant afford a brand new one. Can I mix and match the levers? So get 2 relatively cheap guide level T, guide R etc. (I can't have mismatched levers)
How much of a downgrade is it if I'm keeping the guide calipers? Will I notice that I have less power or modulation?

Thanks.

Posted: Apr 10, 2020 at 10:45 Quote
thedad71 wrote:
So I have busted my ultimate guide lever, I cant afford a brand new one. Can I mix and match the levers? So get 2 relatively cheap guide level T, guide R etc. (I can't have mismatched levers)
How much of a downgrade is it if I'm keeping the guide calipers? Will I notice that I have less power or modulation?

Thanks.
All guide levers are interchangeable, all you lose is adjustments by going to a cheaper lever. You could try warranting your existing lever as there was a recall on those.

Posted: Apr 10, 2020 at 10:50 Quote
Looking to replace my NX 11 speed stuff with the new MICRO shift 10 speed stuff for more range. 10s will fit on my FH, correct?

Posted: Apr 10, 2020 at 10:50 Quote
As long as it is an hg freehub then yes.

Posted: Apr 10, 2020 at 10:51 Quote
ajax-ripper wrote:
thedad71 wrote:

Thanks.
All guide levers are interchangeable, all you lose is adjustments by going to a cheaper lever. You could try warranting your existing lever as there was a recall on those.
Thanks, I'm not original owner but worth a go. Will the power and modulation stay the same?

Posted: Apr 10, 2020 at 10:53 Quote
Speaking of advent, does anyone know what the cable pull is for advent 9? I’d like to do a little shimano brifter, advent derailleur 9 speed gravel combo.

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.012869
Mobile Version of Website