Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]
Posted: May 29, 2020 at 14:49 Quote
brokemywristbyfallingoffmybike wrote:
Hey does anybody know what this lever works with? I took it off of an avid juicy ultimate brakeset, but I can't find anything that looks like this. Trying to either find an identical lever or sell this one and buy two regular metal levers that will work with my brakes (my brakes are both avid juicy ultimates)

Elixirs? Not sure, but looks very similar.

Posted: May 29, 2020 at 14:58 Quote
noisette wrote:
Hey does anybody know what this lever works with? I took it off of an avid juicy ultimate brakeset, but I can't find anything that looks like this. Trying to either find an identical lever or sell this one and buy two regular metal levers that will work with my brakes (my brakes are both avid juicy ultimates)

Looks like the old Code lever.

Posted: May 29, 2020 at 15:15 Quote
Figuring out anglesets...which angleset is compatible with a straight 44mm headtube and tapered steerer?
Specifically for this frame: https://canfieldbikes.com/pages/2013-2015-canfield-nimble-9

My best guesses:
Works: https://www.workscomponents.co.uk/20-degree-ec44-ec44-angle-headset---to-suit-tapered-steerer-tube-1136-p.asp

Cane Creek: doesn't look like they have one? Would need external upper and lower cups, right?

Posted: May 29, 2020 at 15:37 Quote
cmcrawfo wrote:
iffy wrote:
and make some shaft clamps with a bit of wood and an old inner tube Wink

The first time I tore down a reverb, I f*cked the IFP the same way.

Hard way to learn a lesson, but I haven't done it since. I made soft jaws just as you described after.

You can get rubber golf club clamps that sit into your vice, they're ideal for reverb shafts etc. and they're only £2 off ebay.

Posted: May 29, 2020 at 15:49 Quote
bigburd wrote:
noisette wrote:

Looks like the old Code lever.

Thanks! Do you know what year/model?

Posted: May 29, 2020 at 16:46 Quote
Definitely not a Code lever. Stock Code levers were never carbon. That's likely a Juicy Carbon lever.

Posted: May 29, 2020 at 17:00 Quote
toddball wrote:
Figuring out anglesets...which angleset is compatible with a straight 44mm headtube and tapered steerer?
Specifically for this frame: https://canfieldbikes.com/pages/2013-2015-canfield-nimble-9

My best guesses:
Works: https://www.workscomponents.co.uk/20-degree-ec44-ec44-angle-headset---to-suit-tapered-steerer-tube-1136-p.asp

Cane Creek: doesn't look like they have one? Would need external upper and lower cups, right?

I think it would be the second one down on the drop down menu. But you could contact Canfield to confirm the size you would need.

https://www.canecreek.com/product/angleset/

Posted: May 29, 2020 at 17:06 Quote
seraph wrote:
Definitely not a Code lever. Stock Code levers were never carbon. That's likely a Juicy Carbon lever.
Its from a juicy ultimate, I dont care if i get a carbon lever, I just need a lever that will work with the same brake.

Posted: May 29, 2020 at 17:10 Quote
What do you think of going from 150 to 170mm fork on YT Jeffsey CF comp 2019? I don’t want to ruin the bike but I need some more travel

Posted: May 29, 2020 at 17:19 Quote
NikoLucic wrote:
What do you think of going from 150 to 170mm fork on YT Jeffsey CF comp 2019? I don’t want to ruin the bike but I need some more travel

In my personal experience, over forking 20mm isn’t usually a big deal.

More correct answer is to see if there is a recommendation for axel to crown length on that frame, then compare that to axel to crown measurement to the fork you are looking to use.

Posted: May 29, 2020 at 17:31 Quote
NikoLucic wrote:

Be interested in how you get on with that.. Would you report back if you go that route?

Posted: May 29, 2020 at 17:41 Quote
gnarcissistictendency wrote:
NikoLucic wrote:

Be interested in how you get on with that.. Would you report back if you go that route?

Yeah sure I will let you know how it does if I decide to do it

Posted: May 29, 2020 at 18:06 Quote
seraph wrote:
Its from a juicy ultimate, I dont care if i get a carbon lever, I just need a lever that will work with the same brake.

Cool, then look for a Juicy lever. I'm not sure what the issue is here. It's an old lever design that's not used anywhere else on any brakes nowadays.

Posted: May 29, 2020 at 18:18 Quote
lifted-d wrote:
gbrackett wrote:
gbrackett wrote:
I have a Giant Advance Defy 0 ~ 2012-13 (I bought it used a couple of years ago). I broke a rear spoke, they are straight and have nipples on both ends. I cannot find a US supplier for the nipples that enter the hub. The hub says DT Swiss and shows the numbers P1250562YL 432DTA PF 3194. Any ideas?

you tried dt already?

A quick search shows that's a road bike? Regardless (road questions are fine here as well) I couldn't find much, or rather, anything on it. I'd just shell out $300-$500 on a new wheel and replace the other one later.

Alternatively swing by a Giant dealer (or email them), they probably have access to some old documentation that will give them a part number for it, and then they can check some dusty corner in a warehouse for the 1 of the 5 remaining spokes in inventory.

Posted: May 29, 2020 at 19:12 Quote
watch123 wrote:
lifted-d wrote:
gbrackett wrote:

you tried dt already?

A quick search shows that's a road bike? Regardless (road questions are fine here as well) I couldn't find much, or rather, anything on it. I'd just shell out $300-$500 on a new wheel and replace the other one later.

Alternatively swing by a Giant dealer (or email them), they probably have access to some old documentation that will give them a part number for it, and then they can check some dusty corner in a warehouse for the 1 of the 5 remaining spokes in inventory.

I believe what you need is called a Giant/DT hub nipple. In a perfect world, any giant/DT dealer should be able to help you out... if not, get it online / shipped internationally. It would be awful if a 2$ part was the only reason to bin a wheel.

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.013167
Mobile Version of Website