Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]
Posted: May 30, 2020 at 18:57 Quote
Client9 wrote:
Which chain should I use with a SunRace MZ90 12-speed cassette?

My deraileur is XO Eagle (not that it matters)

I was just about to order a SRAM GX chain.

Should I consider a KMC X12 _or_ Shimano XT chain instead?

Should be fine, most of the 12 speed drivetrains are interchangeable. The ones you mentioned are (I haven't tried it, but I don't see why it wouldn't be). Personally I run a 11 speed KMC chain with my 11 speed SunRace cassette.

Posted: May 30, 2020 at 20:57 Quote
Do most brakes typically fit most mountain bikes? I have a 2017 Norco Sight A7.1 that has SRAM Guide R brakes that are on their last legs.

Looking at others like SRAM Code R, SRAM Guide RS, SRAM Guide RSC etc. Open to recommendations as well. I'm just a casual all mountain rider. Leaning more towards budget vs high performance.

Thanks!

O+
Posted: May 30, 2020 at 22:19 Quote
Yes any recent brakes should mount up no issues. There is a new mount standard called flat mount but those should be clearly marked and for XC/gravel bikes.

Nothing wrong with guides if they have enough power for you.

I quite like my Code R although the non bearing pivot does developer some slop after a year.

Shimano slx/deore brakes are pretty good to

Really can’t go wrong... SRAM more modulation and Shimano more bite faster power generally speaking.

Posted: May 30, 2020 at 22:57 Quote
Just be sure the caliper is the right type of mount. As mtbman1980 said, most will be "post mount", with screws in the plane of the bike, but there's a chance you'll find an old-school "IS" mount, with screws perpendicular to the plane of the bike, or "flat mount".

Code R is a good good product for the price. The Guide RE is a hybrid Guide R lever and Code R caliper that's an even better deal, if you can find one.

I agree with mtbman1980 that Shimano Deore & SLX are also great products. The "non-series" BR-MT520 and BR-MT420 are usually great values, if you find them.

Posted: May 31, 2020 at 0:24 Quote
R-M-R wrote:
Using an Orange Stage 6 as a model, the 32 T reduces pedal feedback by under 10%. It's not quite the same as the proportional change in chainring size, but very close. This is about the threshold of what you can perceive if you do immediate, back-to-back runs; it's unlikely you would notice it if you rode one charinring one day and the other the following day.

Kickback while coasting is infrequent to nonexistent and, if it happens, usually not forceful, so there's no need to worry about it.

Thats perfect, thanks so much. I can always rely on you to get the numbers!

Posted: May 31, 2020 at 4:31 Quote
I need some Howitzer bb cups.
And cups out there with bearings with a ID of 21mm?

Why? I got some howitzer cranks and axle really really cheap. but not bearings cups And bolts.

Don’t really want to pay £40 for cups when the bearings have a sleeve to fit the 21mm diameter of the axle.

Posted: May 31, 2020 at 5:13 Quote
I have an xd rear hub and a shimano 10spd cassette on order, will the cassette fit?

O+
Posted: May 31, 2020 at 5:57 Quote
James-sear wrote:
I have an xd rear hub and a shimano 10spd cassette on order, will the cassette fit?

no

Posted: May 31, 2020 at 6:27 Quote
newbermuda wrote:
James-sear wrote:

no

You will have to buy a hyperglide freehub body.

O+
Posted: May 31, 2020 at 10:34 Quote
ryancanada wrote:
Do most brakes typically fit most mountain bikes? I have a 2017 Norco Sight A7.1 that has SRAM Guide R brakes that are on their last legs.

Looking at others like SRAM Code R, SRAM Guide RS, SRAM Guide RSC etc. Open to recommendations as well. I'm just a casual all mountain rider. Leaning more towards budget vs high performance.

Thanks!
I put a Guide RE on the front after my Guide R died. It is noticeably stronger, with great modulation. Can't wait for my rear to die, so I can replace it also. The Guide R brakes were just a bit too weak for me on long descents.
They don't have the bleeding edge port for bleeding like the Codes.

Posted: May 31, 2020 at 10:52 Quote
johnovey wrote:
ryancanada wrote:

Thanks!
I put a Guide RE on the front after my Guide R died. It is noticeably stronger, with great modulation. Can't wait for my rear to die, so I can replace it also. The Guide R brakes were just a bit too weak for me on long descents.
They don't have the bleeding edge port for bleeding like the Codes.
f*ck the blessing edge port.

O+
Posted: May 31, 2020 at 10:57 Quote
Yeah I really don’t have a problem with the regular bleed ports no need for the bleeding edge port....

Posted: May 31, 2020 at 10:58 Quote
ajax-ripper wrote:

Interesting. Why do you say that? I'm not in any way a Sram fanboy, but generally find the bleeding edge setup works like it's supposed to. Interested to know why you don't approve.

Posted: May 31, 2020 at 11:43 Quote
gabriel-mission9 wrote:
ajax-ripper wrote:

Interesting. Why do you say that? I'm not in any way a Sram fanboy, but generally find the bleeding edge setup works like it's supposed to. Interested to know why you don't approve.
I have a few reasons. The first is that if you apply slightly too much pressure you can very easily pop out the tool and say dot fluid everywhere. Second the resign of the caliper causes a regular Allen key to contact the caliper while installing the mounting hardware, a ballend unit must be used which is a pain trail side.

EDIT: They also leak like a f*cking c*nt and are less weatehrsealed then previous fitting

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.036086
Mobile Version of Website