Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]
Posted: Jun 20, 2020 at 11:01 Quote
What could be causing a clicking in the crank area while under power?

It seems to only happen on the downstroke of my right pedal while climbing out of the saddle, or if I pedal extra hard on flat terrain. So far have tightened pedals, chainring bolts, removed and reinstalled crank, taken bash guard off (the chainring spider was coming very close to contacting the chainguide, and I thought putting the pedals under power could have flexed enough to contact, but that was not the case), and still nothing has changed. I don't think it's suspension related because I never hear it without pedaling, and like I said it is rhythmic with the downstroke of the right pedal

I think my next move will be to take apart my pedal spindle and see if there's anything wrong with it, but needing suggestions for what else it could be

Posted: Jun 20, 2020 at 12:09 Quote
Bottom bracket bearings.

Posted: Jun 20, 2020 at 13:09 Quote
They seem to spin pretty smoothly with the cranks out, I'll have to take a more in-depth look at them

Posted: Jun 20, 2020 at 13:52 Quote
Anyone find blackspire oval chainrings feel and sound like crap for the first ten rides? My race face rings always feel smooth when I put on a new drivetrain. When I replace my drivetrain with blackspire chianring, it is grindy and rough feeling/sounding. I note that the blackspire seems to have a more aggressive oval, I assume that has something to do with it?

Posted: Jun 20, 2020 at 13:59 Quote
Sram Code RSC or Shimano XTR, opinions?

Posted: Jun 20, 2020 at 14:02 Quote
NikoLucic wrote:
Code.

I don't like throwing away whole caliper or lever assemblies when they need to be rebuilt.

Posted: Jun 20, 2020 at 14:04 Quote
I second the Code. Rebuildable with better lever feel.

Posted: Jun 20, 2020 at 14:16 Quote
NikoLucic wrote:

code

Posted: Jun 20, 2020 at 14:26 Quote
Noeserd wrote:
NikoLucic wrote:

İ would say mt7

No one asked you!

Posted: Jun 20, 2020 at 14:27 Quote
Noeserd wrote:
NikoLucic wrote:

İ would say mt7

Strange thing to say seeing as the question was about codes or xtrs.

I have codes currently (they came on my last bike) and theyre fine. However they are Sram so i'm expecting them to shit the bed at some point. I'd expect better reliability from shimano in general, but as has been pointed out, spare parts are not available.

Posted: Jun 20, 2020 at 14:33 Quote
seraph wrote:
Noeserd wrote:
NikoLucic wrote:

İ would say mt7

No one asked you!
[/P]

Confused

Posted: Jun 20, 2020 at 14:35 Quote
matt-15 wrote:

It seems to only happen on the downstroke of my right pedal while climbing out of the saddle, or if I pedal extra hard on flat terrain. So far have tightened pedals, chainring bolts, removed and reinstalled crank, taken bash guard off (the chainring spider was coming very close to contacting the chainguide, and I thought putting the pedals under power could have flexed enough to contact, but that was not the case), and still nothing has changed. I don't think it's suspension related because I never hear it without pedaling, and like I said it is rhythmic with the downstroke of the right pedal

I think my next move will be to take apart my pedal spindle and see if there's anything wrong with it, but needing suggestions for what else it could be

It may be the pedal bearing, it is is worn then the balls can jam slightly under load. Does the RH one fell smooth if you spin it?
Is it loose or can you feel a slight tight spot?
Sometimes just the fact the bearing is slightly worn or can give enough play.

Posted: Jun 20, 2020 at 14:38 Quote
matt-15 wrote:

It's probably pedal bearings, my stamps did that a while ago

Posted: Jun 20, 2020 at 15:09 Quote
Noeserd wrote:
NikoLucic wrote:

code
Depends on your technique and skill level, and preferences for feel. Xtr have much more initial bite, if you are a precise skilled operator some prefer this. I however find the modulation of the code rsc to help control my bike through over braking (oh sh!t moments and poor technique) and find I skid much less and can go faster on the codes.

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.012312
Mobile Version of Website