Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]
Posted: Jul 12, 2020 at 22:26 Quote
watch123 wrote:
As for the shop being able to find the ever so slight bend (presumably with a derailleur hanger tool), but not bending back while they were there? That's crazy, I'd go to a different shop next time.

Any shop that doesn't have or won't use a hanger alignment gauge to do a minor bend isn't a shop worth dealing with. Or maybe this indicates the hanger is bent more than is being described.

Posted: Jul 13, 2020 at 7:54 Quote
R-M-R wrote:
watch123 wrote:
As for the shop being able to find the ever so slight bend (presumably with a derailleur hanger tool), but not bending back while they were there? That's crazy, I'd go to a different shop next time.

Any shop that doesn't have or won't use a hanger alignment gauge to do a minor bend isn't a shop worth dealing with. Or maybe this indicates the hanger is bent more than is being described.

Maybe the actual frame is bent?

Posted: Jul 13, 2020 at 8:47 Quote
SS-Minox wrote:
R-M-R wrote:
watch123 wrote:

Maybe the actual frame is bent?

What rteally chaps my ass about this is that the tool used to check the alignment is the same one you use to fix it. Provided that it is only a minor bend it takes all of 5 additional minutes to fix it if youve already got the dag out...

Posted: Jul 13, 2020 at 9:22 Quote
I just bought the zeb and it uses 200mm standart post mount. my rotor is 203, what size spacers do i need?

Posted: Jul 13, 2020 at 9:23 Quote
Noeserd wrote:
I just bought the zeb and it uses 200mm standart post mount. my rotor is 203, what size spacers do i need?
1.5mm washers under the caliper.

Posted: Jul 13, 2020 at 9:24 Quote
ajax-ripper wrote:
Noeserd wrote:
1.5mm washers under the caliper.

flat or cone versions ?

Posted: Jul 13, 2020 at 9:33 Quote
el-booto wrote:
FirstFox wrote:
can Anyone tell me is it possible to put sram Guide ULT pistons in a Guide R caliper rather than the plastic ones that come in them normally ?

as far as I was aware they were all the same stuff?

well the all the models except the ULT have ful plastic/composite caliper pistons , where as the ULT has a composite wrapped in i believe brass so the contact area of the piston to the rubber ring seal in the caliper stays smoother and reduces heat. ive had the problem of the pistons sticking or not all actuating equally so im looking to reduce this from happening as easily as it does on the plastic/composite versions

O+
Posted: Jul 13, 2020 at 11:46 Quote
Hey guys, my bomber 58 seems to be sitting about 2-5mm down in its travel with no weight on the fork. Is this a thing or am i tripping?

How to fix?
Cheers

Posted: Jul 13, 2020 at 13:31 Quote
StanMarsh wrote:
Hey guys, my bomber 58 seems to be sitting about 2-5mm down in its travel with no weight on the fork. Is this a thing or am i tripping?

charged negative spring

Posted: Jul 13, 2020 at 19:19 Quote
Hey everyone,

I just got a set of i9 wheels for my 2006 gt ruckus that has horizontal dropouts. The rear hub is a 10x135 thru hub that I need an axle for. I have tried the DT swiss RWS 10x135 thru-axle but that didn't have enough clamping power, so when I pedaled the whole rear wheel would shift forward. I tried chain tensioners on the axle by pushing on the end of the dropouts. I'm looking to try and find a 10mm to female bolt-on axle or a 10x135 bolt-on axle(like what they have on BMX bikes). The picture below is somewhat of what I'm looking for but I don't know if it will work as it has threads where the hub is meant to be for a thru-axle.
https://wheelsmfg.com/pub/media/catalog/product/cache/1e85cabfbf03a43b84ee59a0bbfef50d/a/x/axle-06.jpg

So if any of you can give me some suggestions, that would be much appreciated.

Oliver

Posted: Jul 13, 2020 at 20:30 Quote
owlane50 wrote:
Hey everyone,

I just got a set of i9 wheels for my 2006 gt ruckus that has horizontal dropouts. The rear hub is a 10x135 thru hub that I need an axle for. I have tried the DT swiss RWS 10x135 thru-axle but that didn't have enough clamping power, so when I pedaled the whole rear wheel would shift forward. I tried chain tensioners on the axle by pushing on the end of the dropouts. I'm looking to try and find a 10mm to female bolt-on axle or a 10x135 bolt-on axle(like what they have on BMX bikes). The picture below is somewhat of what I'm looking for but I don't know if it will work as it has threads where the hub is meant to be for a thru-axle.
https://wheelsmfg.com/pub/media/catalog/product/cache/1e85cabfbf03a43b84ee59a0bbfef50d/a/x/axle-06.jpg

Oliver

Or i could make my own axle out of plain steel with a width of 10mm and put in my own threads. Would that work too?

Posted: Jul 13, 2020 at 20:35 Quote
owlane50 wrote:
Hey everyone,

Oliver

Hope Pro Trials for SS or 10mm bolt up Axle hub for gears (though you can run 6-7 speed on the SS cassette)

Run them on 3 bikes an they NEVER move

Posted: Jul 13, 2020 at 20:37 Quote
nojzilla wrote:
owlane50 wrote:
Hey everyone,

Oliver

Hope Pro Trials for SS or 10mm bolt up Axle hub for gears (though you can run 6-7 speed on the SS cassette)

Run them on 3 bikes an they NEVER move

I know I could just buy a whole new hub, but I don't want to. Do the Hope Pro Trials hubs have an axle or are there threads in the hub that allow it screw in?

Posted: Jul 13, 2020 at 21:47 Quote
The 10mm bolts thread into the hub axle. So the bolts go through the frames drop out.

I once tapped a thread into a chromo QR axle an used some big washers I had from an old cantilever brake. Later I had a trialtech hub that used the same set up.

Posted: Jul 13, 2020 at 21:48 Quote
The 10mm bolts thread into the hub axle. So the bolts go through the frames drop out.

I once tapped a thread into a chromo QR axle an used some big washers I had from an old cantilever brake. Later I had a trialtech hub that used the same set up.

Could try some serated washers under the DT axle

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.038541
Mobile Version of Website