Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]
Author Message
Posted: Jul 28, 2020 at 22:32 Quote
What's the big problem with using spacers/washers???
I don't get it?

Plenty of my bikes over the years have needed spacers on the brake mounts

Posted: Jul 28, 2020 at 22:33 Quote
seraph wrote:
MTBrandonLee wrote:
Nicktennis1 wrote:
Hi everyone, I am installing a 12 Spd m8100 Shimano shifter and derailleur. I am only getting 11 clicks out of the shifter even without the cable engaged into the derailleur. Any thoughts on how to get the last click? removed the Cap on the shifter and understand how the points of engagement work, although am reaching out here to see if I am missing an easy fix. Thanks!

If you yank the shift cable too hard when you're tightening it. sometimes you move the derailleur a bit. make sure on the smalles gear the cable is straight and mildly taught. (I guess kind of like a guitar string, just a teeny bit tighter)

Nono, there are only supposed to be 11 clicks. A 9 speed shifter has 8 clicks, a 10 speed shifter has 9 clicks, an 11 speed shifter has 10 clicks, and a 12 speed shifter has 11 clicks. You start on gear 1. 1 + 11 = 12.

my b. read it wrong.

Posted: Jul 28, 2020 at 22:39 Quote
nojzilla wrote:
What's the big problem with using spacers/washers???
I don't get it?

Plenty of my bikes over the years have needed spacers on the brake mounts

I mean as long as your brake mounting bolts have ample thread purchase, you should be fine. I suppose it might decrease braking power on paper, but it's hardly noticeable in reality. I could also see how it might make the caliper a little harder to align.

Posted: Jul 28, 2020 at 22:43 Quote
How though? I mean spacers are completely normal, hope sell a spacer pack, avid/sram have those conical spacers to help alignment.....

On another note

Any UK mechs got any info on how the new voucher system is working?

Could I use it for tools or parts as part of a 'service' Wink

Posted: Jul 28, 2020 at 23:08 Quote
Just heard on't radio website has has allready crashed, there's a surprise ¿ :'D

Posted: Jul 28, 2020 at 23:21 Quote
nojzilla wrote:
How though? I mean spacers are completely normal, hope sell a spacer pack, avid/sram have those conical spacers to help alignment.....
In general I totally agree. I did some experimenting with a spare pair of Hope rotors a while ago, and found that in my setups the front required a stack of washers that really did diminish the overlap between pad and rotor, and at that point I decided that losing 20-30% of the pad area wasn't a sensible compromise just for a bit of bling. Other setups might not require such significant adjustment thought - certainly not saying it isn't worth trying Wink

Had hoped that it was early enough to catch the vouchers before the crashing started. If Boris wants to pay to service my forks then who am I to argue lol

Posted: Jul 29, 2020 at 3:47 Quote
Hello all,

Trying to remove my free hub from my 27.5 wheel , bearings are full of gunk and i was looking to upgrade anyway, the set up i am going for now requires a micro spline , so this needs to come off.

i have tried 10mm hex , its way too small , iv tried 7/16" ( Cant get hold of an 11mm) from both the drive and no drive side and still no joy.

it is tight !!!! any tips as to getting this SOB off its driving me crazy.

thanks

Posted: Jul 29, 2020 at 5:48 Quote
Little help please. I bought a set of Formula Cura brakes a few months ago and have bled five or six times. First lever pull goes to the bar and firms up after three or four. If I don’t use the brakes right away, the same thing happens. If I forget to keep them pumped up, they sound like Huffy’s. I’m a decent mechanic, but this is my first set of hydro’s. And... 26 isn’t dead. Thank you everyone.

Posted: Jul 29, 2020 at 6:17 Quote
Sounds like my old formulas, awesome brakes when they worked.... when

Posted: Jul 29, 2020 at 7:20 Quote
titaniumcrank wrote:
Little help please. I bought a set of Formula Cura brakes a few months ago and have bled five or six times. First lever pull goes to the bar and firms up after three or four. If I don’t use the brakes right away, the same thing happens. If I forget to keep them pumped up, they sound like Huffy’s. I’m a decent mechanic, but this is my first set of hydro’s. And... 26 isn’t dead. Thank you everyone.

Sounds like you still have air in the lines.

Posted: Jul 29, 2020 at 7:25 Quote
Wreck2019 wrote:
Hi all. Wondering if anyone has the same issue.

I have the older style TRP Quadiems (silver) with Hope rotors and a Hope 180-203mm adapter on a Fox 36 fork. The bottom inside of the caliper comes in contact with the rotor unless I insert a washer between caliper and adapter, then I have enough clearance. Same goes for the rear, again with a Hope 180-203mm adapter.

Not a show stopper for me, just would prefer the rotors would fit the calipers out of the box.

While I'm at it, is anyone safely running a 220mm rotor with Fox 36's?

Thanks

Seems like your TRP calipers are possibly slightly shallower than Hope calipers are. I think the washers are your only solution with that combo. And spacers are fine to use.

Posted: Jul 29, 2020 at 7:34 Quote
OneBanana wrote:
Wreck2019 wrote:
OnionRing wrote:
Taking individual componentry and forcing them to work in standardized (Shimano) assemblies is my guess.

Hey- I’m lost as to why Shimano was brought into the discussion. None of my components are Shimano, including adapters.

So- back on topic- I have another bike, with another set of Fox 36’s with a hope 203mm rotor and a hope 180-203mm adapter, with a hope E4 calliper, and NO clearance issue.

The clearance issue seems to be with the Quadiems.So again, has anyone got the same issue?


These the Hope floating rotors? Catching at the joins between the alu spider and the braking surface?

Hope's caliper shape is designed to work with this, but other brands aren't - some will work, some won't. You can space it with a washer or two but there are potentially compromises to doing so.

That’s not his issue. The top edge of the rotor is hitting the top inside edge of the caliper between the pads, not the rivets holding the carrier to the braking surface.

Posted: Jul 29, 2020 at 8:36 Quote
Twenty6ers4life wrote:
OneBanana wrote:
Wreck2019 wrote:


Hey- I’m lost as to why Shimano was brought into the discussion. None of my components are Shimano, including adapters.

So- back on topic- I have another bike, with another set of Fox 36’s with a hope 203mm rotor and a hope 180-203mm adapter, with a hope E4 calliper, and NO clearance issue.

The clearance issue seems to be with the Quadiems.So again, has anyone got the same issue?


These the Hope floating rotors? Catching at the joins between the alu spider and the braking surface?

Hope's caliper shape is designed to work with this, but other brands aren't - some will work, some won't. You can space it with a washer or two but there are potentially compromises to doing so.

That’s not his issue. The top edge of the rotor is hitting the top inside edge of the caliper between the pads, not the rivets holding the carrier to the braking surface.

The issue is these are not being used for Hope Tech brakes.

The shim packs Hope provide center adapters.

Glad to be taking part in all of this.

Posted: Jul 29, 2020 at 12:36 Quote
Twenty6ers4life wrote:
titaniumcrank wrote:
Little help please. I bought a set of Formula Cura brakes a few months ago and have bled five or six times. First lever pull goes to the bar and firms up after three or four. If I don’t use the brakes right away, the same thing happens. If I forget to keep them pumped up, they sound like Huffy’s. I’m a decent mechanic, but this is my first set of hydro’s. And... 26 isn’t dead. Thank you everyone.

Sounds like you still have air in the lines.


 
Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.018890
Mobile Version of Website