Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]
Posted: Aug 3, 2020 at 21:13 Quote
MTBrandonLee wrote:
watch123 wrote:
Does anyone know the compatibility of Boxes' 9 speed stuff with Shimano/SRAM's 9 speed stuff? I've looked around a bit, but haven't found much. Mainly if the derailleur is compatible with either shifter, and the compatibility of the chains?

Likely not compatable. i haven't checked the actuation ratios of box, but as far as i know the box 7spd dh is not compatable with sram dh 7spd. I would stick to using box with box tho

Correct, Box uses a different cable pull that is not compatible with other brands.

from Box's website FAQ:

Q: Is the Box Three Prime 9 Derailleur compatible with other 9 speed components?
A: No, traditional 9 speed systems use a Cable Pull that is not compatible with Prime 9.

Posted: Aug 4, 2020 at 5:53 Quote
watch123 wrote:
Does anyone know the compatibility of Boxes' 9 speed stuff with Shimano/SRAM's 9 speed stuff? I've looked around a bit, but haven't found much. Mainly if the derailleur is compatible with either shifter, and the compatibility of the chains?

I plan on picking up one of those derailleurs and trying to make it work with my XO 9 speed grip shift.
Sometimes you can mod the cable pole ratio with spacers.
https://ridemonkey.bikemag.com/attachments/derailleur-spacer-003-jpg.113316/

Posted: Aug 4, 2020 at 6:00 Quote
Client9 wrote:
watch123 wrote:

I plan on picking up one of those derailleurs and trying to make it work with my XO 9 speed grip shift.
Sometimes you can mod the cable pole ratio with spacers.
https://ridemonkey.bikemag.com/attachments/derailleur-spacer-003-jpg.113316/

This may be of use to you: http://blog.artscyclery.com/science-behind-the-magic/science-behind-the-magic-drivetrain-compatibility/

No Box stuff on there, but info that should be useful.

Posted: Aug 4, 2020 at 6:57 Quote
In terms of the box stuff a pretty decent article...
https://bikepacking.com/gear/box-prime-9-review/
The takeaway is that it seems to be a closed ecosystem much like the advent stuff from micro shift. That said I’m sure there’s some shed-ineering that could get this to work, just look at the shimergo abominations.

Posted: Aug 4, 2020 at 13:17 Quote
Has anyone had any experience with stripping the paint off of fork crowns and polishing them up? Im just wondering how much of a pain in the arse it'd be and how long the aluminium lasts before it goes dull again? Love the look and I'm not against putting a good bit of elbow grease in for it but I'm worried it'll be a never ending battle to keep it looking half decent if I actually ride the bike a decent amount

Posted: Aug 4, 2020 at 13:26 Quote
james-skipper wrote:
Has anyone had any experience with stripping the paint off of fork crowns and polishing them up? Im just wondering how much of a pain in the arse it'd be and how long the aluminium lasts before it goes dull again? Love the look and I'm not against putting a good bit of elbow grease in for it but I'm worried it'll be a never ending battle to keep it looking half decent if I actually ride the bike a decent amount

Polished a set of marzocchi z1s many years ago. They went dull after a few months. Actually really easy to polish though. Takes maybe half an hour to get them to a gleaming mirror shine.

Posted: Aug 4, 2020 at 13:35 Quote
gabriel-mission9 wrote:
They went dull after a few months.

A "polymer" type car polish helps seal out the oxygen and keeps it fresh for longer.

Posted: Aug 4, 2020 at 13:43 Quote
Sweet! Tbh I was imagining it would be loads worse than that so that's good news. Obviously I'd strip the while thing down for the initial paint strip procedure but for just a top up polish with a rag could I get away with doing that with it still on the bike do you think?

Posted: Aug 4, 2020 at 13:44 Quote
R-M-R wrote:
"polymer" type car polish helps seal out the oxygen and keeps it fresh for longer.

Thats sounds like a very handy tip, will definitely be looking into that

Posted: Aug 4, 2020 at 14:18 Quote
christopheryang wrote:
MTBrandonLee wrote:
watch123 wrote:

Likely not compatable. i haven't checked the actuation ratios of box, but as far as i know the box 7spd dh is not compatable with sram dh 7spd. I would stick to using box with box tho

Correct, Box uses a different cable pull that is not compatible with other brands.

from Box's website FAQ:

Q: Is the Box Three Prime 9 Derailleur compatible with other 9 speed components?
A: No, traditional 9 speed systems use a Cable Pull that is not compatible with Prime 9.

Ok, thanks for all that have commented, clearly I should've gone and read the FAQ more closely.

Posted: Aug 4, 2020 at 14:19 Quote
james-skipper wrote:
Sweet! Tbh I was imagining it would be loads worse than that so that's good news. Obviously I'd strip the while thing down for the initial paint strip procedure but for just a top up polish with a rag could I get away with doing that with it still on the bike do you think?

Absolutely

Posted: Aug 4, 2020 at 14:30 Quote
Brilliant, much less concerned about doing it now! Thanks for your help as always guys Salute

Posted: Aug 4, 2020 at 14:34 Quote
james-skipper wrote:
R-M-R wrote:
"polymer" type car polish helps seal out the oxygen and keeps it fresh for longer.

Thats sounds like a very handy tip, will definitely be looking into that

Automotive paint shops often recommend against polymer polishes because they're too good and complicate the process of touching up or repainting when factory paint is now so good that it doesn't need as much protection.

I don't buy that argument, as I've never repainted a car, but I've had paint get dull after many years. In any case, it speaks highly of how good a polish can be, which is perfect for our needs of protecting a raw aluminum surface.

Posted: Aug 4, 2020 at 15:35 Quote
james-skipper wrote:

had the same idea for my boxxer. just haven't gotten around to it

O+
Posted: Aug 4, 2020 at 15:44 Quote
Before I go out and buy a new chainring and cassette I wanted to come here to get a second opinion. So I replaced my chain after some shifting problems and after installing the new chain and dialing in the limit screws it was shifting well in my bike stand. However, when I went out for a ride and pedal hard a loud noise is coming from the drivetrain also when I pedal full out the chain jumps. I believe I need to replace the cassette and possibly the chainrings, what do you guys think?
https://www.pinkbike.com/photo/19160939/
https://www.pinkbike.com/photo/19160938/

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.035767
Mobile Version of Website