Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]
O+
Posted: Sep 3, 2020 at 9:23 Quote
Nobble wrote:
To be fair, the stans tape does hold up pretty well if you get a good install. It's much less likely to be damaged by tire levers than gorilla tape.

But still not really worth it IMO.

I should also mention that I've had a spoke break and punch a hole in that same tape I struggled to put on. Not saying gorilla wouldn't have done the same but its a data point.

Posted: Sep 3, 2020 at 10:30 Quote
If I have a 27.5 will it mess with the geometry too much and harm the bike to put forks and wheels that are 26 ?

Posted: Sep 3, 2020 at 10:53 Quote
Kotabike wrote:
If I have a 27.5 will it mess with the geometry too much and harm the bike to put forks and wheels that are 26 ?

Bike will be lower, keep the 27.5 fork and put 26 to it

Posted: Sep 3, 2020 at 10:57 Quote
FloridaHasMTBToo wrote:
I have had terrible luck with keeping Stan's tape to stick to the rim. You guys got any reasons why this might be happening? I'm a die hard Gorilla Tape fan, but I don't think I should have to have a buddy hold the tape in place while I wrap it.

The rim not being clean enough is what I usually discover.

Posted: Sep 3, 2020 at 12:50 Quote
Hi, I’m building my fist mountain bike so this may be a stupid question but can I use an 11 speed chainring with a 12 speed drivetrain?
Thanks

Posted: Sep 3, 2020 at 16:54 Quote
seraph wrote:
Phil's Tenacious Oil is way too thick for my tastes. It works well as a heavy chain lube in super wet conditions but it's got no place inside a freehub.

It's the factory recommendation for some models. Some even recommend grease.

O+
Posted: Sep 3, 2020 at 18:42 Quote
mtbman1980 wrote:
I still have the original stans tape on my 4 year old Flow EX front wheel it has never given me a problem...now that I have said this it will fail in short order.

I use the narrow 12 mm Stan’s tape to cover the rim channel only, but I set the rim and tape in the sun or use a blow drier to warm them up so the tape will stretch and adhere really good. When the roll of tape is warm you can pull it really tight and it will stretch and conform to the channel. But prior to applying the tape I also use rubbing alcohol and a clean rag to wipe down the rim bed so the adhesive on the tape sticks better. It all takes a little more prep time, but the end result lasts for several seasons without issues.

O+
Posted: Sep 3, 2020 at 18:47 Quote
Kotabike wrote:

Not if you use plus size tires, like 2.8’s. Their diameter is just about 27.5” depending on the rim width. Mine, (DHR2’s) are 27.5 in diameter on 40i rims.

Posted: Sep 3, 2020 at 18:54 Quote
Twenty6ers4life wrote:
Kotabike wrote:

Not if you use plus size tires, like 2.8’s. Their diameter is just about 27.5” depending on the rim width. Mine, (DHR2’s) are 27.5 in diameter on 40i rims.

Agreed. Definitely won't harm the bike, assuming the tires don't rub on the frame. A shorter fork will make the steering a little quicker / less stable and the BB will sit a bit lower, which may not be to your liking, but it won't be a huge difference.

Posted: Sep 3, 2020 at 20:52 Quote
FloridaHasMTBToo wrote:
I have had terrible luck with keeping Stan's tape to stick to the rim. You guys got any reasons why this might be happening? I'm a die hard Gorilla Tape fan, but I don't think I should have to have a buddy hold the tape in place while I wrap it.

If you want tape to really stick... Apply a very light coating of spray glue and let it dry to a tack before applying the rim tape. I have multiple rims with tape that was applied using that method that are over 10 years old and tape is still fine.

Posted: Sep 3, 2020 at 20:58 Quote
shredjekyll wrote:
If you want tape to really stick... Apply a very light coating of spray glue and let it dry to a tack before applying the rim tape. I have multiple rims with tape that was applied using that method that are over 10 years old and tape is still fine.

If you've ever had to remove it - replacing a spoke, for example - how did it go?

Posted: Sep 3, 2020 at 21:47 Quote
R-M-R wrote:
shredjekyll wrote:

If you've ever had to remove it - replacing a spoke, for example - how did it go?

Not too bad, maybe added 10 minutes of scrubbing and scraping in order to get rim completely clean.

O+
Posted: Sep 4, 2020 at 8:18 Quote
Anyone know the difference between the Shimano 12 speed Deore chain and XT chain besides the extra $22? The weight is exactly the same, Shimano has no technical specs on the Deore chain on their site.

O+
Posted: Sep 4, 2020 at 8:40 Quote
Usually its is a difference in weight and coatings with some changes to plate shape.

Usually worth it to spring for a good chain as they tend to stand up to corrosion and have a longer life span.

O+
Posted: Sep 4, 2020 at 8:50 Quote
mtbman1980 wrote:
Usually its is a difference in weight and coatings with some changes to plate shape.

Usually worth it to spring for a good chain as they tend to stand up to corrosion and have a longer life span.

I had the XT chain, which was fine but replace it with a Deore chain after about 1800 miles. Have a little hiccup in my shifting I can’t get rid of so I guess I will pick up a new XT today and see if that helps. On my old 11x system I usually just ran GX chains and never an issue but 12 speed Shimano seems to be a bit more finicky.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.044721
Mobile Version of Website