Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]
Author Message
Posted: Sep 2, 2020 at 17:54 Quote
There are probably some chain lubes that work better than some greases, but it's overall a bad idea. If we look at the reasons to do so:

1. Reduce friction: Friction from hub bearing lubricant is so low that you could probably gain as much efficiency from the improved aerodynamics of shaving your eyebrows. There are better ways to go faster.

2. Don't have grease: Go buy some grease, it's cheap and available everywhere. Your neighbour probably has some.

Posted: Sep 2, 2020 at 18:02 Quote
EliasFritzen wrote:
Bit of a weird question, but how bad of an idea is it to use chain lube as hub grease? Dry or wet lube?

I traditionally use thin lubes on pawl/spring systems because I find that grease slows the system down and can cause some spring delay. On high end systems like Project 321 and DT Star Ratchet and/or EXP ratchet, I use Dri Slide only. But I also like a loud AF hub and I service my freehub once every few months.

Posted: Sep 2, 2020 at 18:55 Quote
Right, yes, chain lube works well in the driver mechanism. Wet lube for that. I was thinking axle bearings.

Posted: Sep 2, 2020 at 20:51 Quote
My personal favorite for pawl systems is a 1:1 mix of dumonde tech liquid grease and their freehub oil.

Posted: Sep 2, 2020 at 21:18 Quote
R-M-R wrote:
Right, yes, chain lube works well in the driver mechanism. Wet lube for that. I was thinking axle bearings.

Ok cool, thanks yeah ive got plenty of grease that I use for headset, bearing etc, I was thinking of putting in the driver mechanism so ill give it a go

Posted: Sep 3, 2020 at 0:15 Quote
Depends on the hub and the lube, but yeah, a thick chain lube is typically fine. Some drivers specify a light grease and some recommend a heavy oil; not much difference between those two.

As Nobble said, Dumonde Freehub Oil and Liquid Grease are popular choices. Phil's Tenacious Oil has been a bike shop standard for ages.

You can buy a 19 L bucket of 85W140 extreme pressure gear oil for the price of five to ten 0.12 L bottles of chain lube and I wouldn't be surprised if it's better than any "bike-specific" product, though I haven't tried it. Don't know what you'd do with 19 L of gear oil, just saying industrial products are often identical, sometimes better, and always cheaper.

Posted: Sep 3, 2020 at 1:00 Quote
R-M-R wrote:
Depends on the hub and the lube, but yeah, a thick chain lube is typically fine. Some drivers specify a light grease and some recommend a heavy oil; not much difference between those two.

As Nobble said, Dumonde Freehub Oil and Liquid Grease are popular choices. Phil's Tenacious Oil has been a bike shop standard for ages.

You can buy a 19 L bucket of 85W140 extreme pressure gear oil for the price of five to ten 0.12 L bottles of chain lube and I wouldn't be surprised if it's better than any "bike-specific" product, though I haven't tried it. Don't know what you'd do with 19 L of gear oil, just saying industrial products are often identical, sometimes better, and always cheaper.

Phil's Tenacious Oil is way too thick for my tastes. It works well as a heavy chain lube in super wet conditions but it's got no place inside a freehub.

Posted: Sep 3, 2020 at 6:08 Quote
Anyone got any recommendations on tubeless rim tape? (Excluding Gorilla tape) Either good ones to go for or any to avoid?

Posted: Sep 3, 2020 at 6:13 Quote
dingus wrote:
Anyone got any recommendations on tubeless rim tape? (Excluding Gorilla tape) Either good ones to go for or any to avoid?

Stans is good but not the best

Posted: Sep 3, 2020 at 6:28 Quote
dingus wrote:
Anyone got any recommendations on tubeless rim tape? (Excluding Gorilla tape) Either good ones to go for or any to avoid?

both DT Swiss and Mucoff are good

Posted: Sep 3, 2020 at 7:10 Quote
Noeserd wrote:
dingus wrote:
Anyone got any recommendations on tubeless rim tape? (Excluding Gorilla tape) Either good ones to go for or any to avoid?

Stans is good but not the best

I was shocked at how poorly Stan's conformed to my rims. the we'll wasn't that deep but it wrinkled super badly regardless of anything I did. Can't believe they still sell it.

Posted: Sep 3, 2020 at 7:17 Quote
rclugnut wrote:
Noeserd wrote:
dingus wrote:
Anyone got any recommendations on tubeless rim tape? (Excluding Gorilla tape) Either good ones to go for or any to avoid?

Stans is good but not the best

I was shocked at how poorly Stan's conformed to my rims. the we'll wasn't that deep but it wrinkled super badly regardless of anything I did. Can't believe they still sell it.
sounds like you might have used one that was too wide.

The trick with Stan's tape it to install it, then put a tire on with a tube, inflate it, and leave it overnight. It will help adhere the tape properly.

That said, I'd just run gorilla tape and be done with it.

Posted: Sep 3, 2020 at 8:01 Quote
Nobble wrote:
rclugnut wrote:
Noeserd wrote:


Stans is good but not the best

I was shocked at how poorly Stan's conformed to my rims. the we'll wasn't that deep but it wrinkled super badly regardless of anything I did. Can't believe they still sell it.
sounds like you might have used one that was too wide.

The trick with Stan's tape it to install it, then put a tire on with a tube, inflate it, and leave it overnight. It will help adhere the tape properly.

That said, I'd just run gorilla tape and be done with it.

Ya thats a lot of faffin about to get the stans tape to work when you can use gorilla tape and not have to put a tube in it and wait overnight, it just airs up. Honestly i can't figure out why brands still make their own rim tapes when gorilla tape works as well and apparently better.

Posted: Sep 3, 2020 at 8:19 Quote
To be fair, the stans tape does hold up pretty well if you get a good install. It's much less likely to be damaged by tire levers than gorilla tape.

But still not really worth it IMO.

Posted: Sep 3, 2020 at 8:20 Quote
I still have the original stans tape on my 4 year old Flow EX front wheel it has never given me a problem...now that I have said this it will fail in short order.


 
Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.012918
Mobile Version of Website