Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]
Posted: Sep 16, 2020 at 14:11 Quote
whattheheel wrote:
Twenty6ers4life wrote:
whattheheel wrote:
Inflating your girlfriend...

lol lol lol Stop spying on me bro! Stalking is a crime!

The gig is up!!!

Busted bro! lol

Posted: Sep 16, 2020 at 15:13 Quote
In this case its 38c panaracer gravel kings on roval CL50 wheels. Ive been letting them sit parallel to the ground all day so the sealant gets spread around, hopefully after work i can make it happen cap’n

Update; I've since tried for about an hour to get these tires to seat with the valve core removed, no success. tires are confirmed tubeless ready but the bead is not super tight, got these for free so might just not use them and buy some worthwhile tires.

Posted: Sep 16, 2020 at 16:52 Quote
newbermuda wrote:
So i have a Giant Control tubeless tank, you pump it full of air and then release the air and it seats your tire. it only works about half the time and my floor pump just shat the bed on me yesterday.
What are some good options for seating tubeless tires that actually work? Should i just buy an air compressor?

Pumps with an auxiliary pressure tank are really cool and useful. They're great because you can use them for tubeless setup and take em in the truck with you as a normal pump. However they're just as expensive or more than a small compressor ($150 for a Topeak or JoeBlow). That said...
You can get a small (1-2 gal) compressor at Lowe's or similar store for around $100. The tricky part is getting the presta inflator as they're usually another $50 or so. Or you could use presta/Schrader adaptors and a standard tire inflator attachment as a stop gap measure. I've found however, that with the adapter you dont quite get as much airflow and sometimes it can make seating a really difficult bead tough.

In my opinion, a compressor is absolutely irreplaceable to have in the garage. Especially if you do a lot of your own wrenching (bikes, moto, cars, lawn mowers etc). I would 100% would buy the compressor and Presta inflator first and then down the road invest in a nicer pump to keep in the truck. You just have to always remember to check your air up on the way out the garage

Posted: Sep 16, 2020 at 23:23 Quote
dingus wrote:
How does one discern whether or not their 52mm headset bearing is or is not of the Italian variety(whatever that is, Google isn't coming up with much)? It's for a v4 Nomad if that helps.

The only difference in 52mm headset bearings I've come across is the angle on the chamfer on the inner/outer races(45/45 or36/45), and maybe the stack height of the bearing. The Italian designator usually refers tothethreadform on old road headsets - but your normally pretty clued up, so ?

Posted: Sep 16, 2020 at 23:51 Quote
I'll measure the chamfer. Pretty much the only mention I could find of Italian 52mm bearings is on Active Sport where I was going to buy from. For that reason alone I expect it's the regular one I need, just curious as to what the dickens the difference is.

Posted: Sep 17, 2020 at 0:46 Quote
$10 weed sprayer from home depot does the trick for me when my floor pump fails (rarely):
https://www.homedepot.com/p/HDX-1-Gal-Pump-Sprayer-1501HDXA/307766754

No additional parts necessary, I'd recommend it to anyone that isn't ready to jump for a compressor. PM me if you can't find how to get it set up.

Posted: Sep 17, 2020 at 4:27 Quote
Phil Kmetz has a good video on it:

Posted: Sep 17, 2020 at 6:36 Quote
A bit niche, but does anyone know the thread pitch of new the fork/damper interface on new rockshox lyrik/yari forks. the charger damper for lyriks is now a super fine pitch. I suspect the fork legs are tapped out to M32 x 0.5 but would be good if anyone else knew and could confirm?

I need to know for a custom project...

Cheers all,

Rich

Posted: Sep 17, 2020 at 7:17 Quote
Hi guys. I recently had a compound crack in the seatstay of my 2017 Stumpjumper. It is out of warranty as I am the second owner. Do any of you know is there somewhere where people part out their cracked frames? I have never seen something like that for sell here, but I thought I would ask around before buying a new frame.

Posted: Sep 17, 2020 at 8:07 Quote
patrickwhitesel wrote:
Hi guys. I recently had a compound crack in the seatstay of my 2017 Stumpjumper. It is out of warranty as I am the second owner. Do any of you know is there somewhere where people part out their cracked frames? I have never seen something like that for sell here, but I thought I would ask around before buying a new frame.
Specialized will still sell you a seatstay. As long as they have them in stock. 2017 is new enough that they probably do.

Posted: Sep 17, 2020 at 8:52 Quote
If specialized can't help you you could post up a wanted ad on here and some appropriate Facebook buy/sell groups, set up some search alerts on eBay etc. and cross your fingers. I've sold the odd frame part on here before and managed to get a lapierre chainstay for somewhere else, but failed to find parts for another frame.

Posted: Sep 17, 2020 at 9:15 Quote
Nobble wrote:
patrickwhitesel wrote:
Specialized will still sell you a seatstay. As long as they have them in stock. 2017 is new enough that they probably do.

I had to purchase new seat stays from specialized a few years ago and they where actually very reasonable on cost. As a side note seat stays/chain stays and suspension linkages where not covered under warranty it was only the main frame. Although that could have changed since then.

Posted: Sep 17, 2020 at 10:05 Quote
mtbman1980 wrote:
Nobble wrote:
patrickwhitesel wrote:

I had to purchase new seat stays from specialized a few years ago and they where actually very reasonable on cost. As a side note seat stays/chain stays and suspension linkages where not covered under warranty it was only the main frame. Although that could have changed since then.

That's rather surprising to hear, I would've thought they'd hold all of a frame to the same standards, vs just the main triangle.

Posted: Sep 17, 2020 at 10:19 Quote
watch123 wrote:
mtbman1980 wrote:
Nobble wrote:

That's rather surprising to hear, I would've thought they'd hold all of a frame to the same standards, vs just the main triangle.

ya that is some lame fine print.

Posted: Sep 17, 2020 at 10:27 Quote
https://www.specialized.com/ca/en/warranty

GLOBAL WARRANTY POLICY

[ ... ]

• We stand behind our frames—forever. This means we offer a lifetime warranty to the original owner against structural defects in material or workmanship on ALL models of Specialized-branded frames and forks. This includes seatstays and chainstays on full-suspension bikes.
• Just like our frames, Roval wheels are warrantied for life.
• Other Specialized-branded products (as well as frame paint and graphics) are covered by a two-year warranty. Turbo batteries have a warranty for 2 years or 300 charge cycles—whichever comes first.
• If you're the second, or later, owner of a Specialized or Roval product, you are eligible for a two-year warranty from the date of the original retail purchase.

[ ... ]

Specialized Warranty FAQs

[ ... ]

What is NOT covered by your warranty?
Replacement of wear and tear parts, damage from a crash or other accidental damage, and damage from abuse or corrosion are all examples of what is not covered. See the complete warranty policy for a more detailed list.

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.012130
Mobile Version of Website