Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]
Posted: Sep 18, 2020 at 13:18 Quote
watch123 wrote:
NikoLucic wrote:
Hi, I have e*thirteen cassete on my bike but I want to buy new one from Sram so I’m wondering if I can just swap them? Will sram cassete fit?
I'm pretty sure that e13 only makes XD drivers, so as the other person said, you need one with an XD driver.

I'd look into Sunrace, they're a fair bit cheaper than both SRAM and e13 (I've been running one all year fine).

I've sent back way too many Sunrace cassettes recently to agree here, rivets coming loose and making a ton of noise. Almost every Marin we've had with a Sunrace cassette has needed to be swapped. Get Sram for sure.

There's a reason Sunrace is cheap. I wouldn't risk my cassette shitting the bed mid ride, even if it's more of an annoyance than a safety issue.

Posted: Sep 18, 2020 at 13:29 Quote
sherbet wrote:
watch123 wrote:
NikoLucic wrote:
Hi, I have e*thirteen cassete on my bike but I want to buy new one from Sram so I’m wondering if I can just swap them? Will sram cassete fit?
I'm pretty sure that e13 only makes XD drivers, so as the other person said, you need one with an XD driver.

I'd look into Sunrace, they're a fair bit cheaper than both SRAM and e13 (I've been running one all year fine).

I've sent back way too many Sunrace cassettes recently to agree here, rivets coming loose and making a ton of noise. Almost every Marin we've had with a Sunrace cassette has needed to be swapped. Get Sram for sure.

There's a reason Sunrace is cheap. I wouldn't risk my cassette shitting the bed mid ride, even if it's more of an annoyance than a safety issue.

Hmm, I haven't had this happen to me, thanks for the insight. Perhaps I got lucky and got a good one though (or it just hasn't broken yet).

Posted: Sep 18, 2020 at 13:45 Quote
I have had 3 sunrace cassettes and have had one fail. I folded one of the large cogs because the rivet broke. The 2 after that have been fine.

Definitely not the highest quality but they seem to do the job.

I will be getting a Deore 11-51 11sp cassette and derailleur once they have stock somewhere.

Posted: Sep 18, 2020 at 13:53 Quote
mtbman1980 wrote:
I have had 3 sunrace cassettes and have had one fail. I folded one of the large cogs because the rivet broke. The 2 after that have been fine.

I will be getting a Deore 11-51 11sp cassette and derailleur once they have stock somewhere.

Used to warranty sunrace cassettes. Saw a couple with folded over largest cogs, and a few 11t cogs snapped in two. But given the number sold the failure rate was pretty reasonable. Certainly given the low cost. I've still got one on an old bike that I don't care about enough to throw megabucks at. Theyre ok

Posted: Sep 18, 2020 at 16:46 Quote
Hello,

I bought the new 2021 Specialized Rockerhopper Elite 10-Speed. I am very much enjoying the ride of my first hardtail.

There is one thing I have been trying to upgrade, but I cannot find the correct replacement parts for the bike. Hopefully, someone here can lead me in the right direction.

The bike is equipped with a 9 QR X 135mm rear hub 29" wheel. The engagement of it is complete crap. So, I have been searching for a new 25mm or 26mm width wheel with a rear hub minimum of 36T. I checked Shimano wheels, but they do not offer a 25mm width wheel. Same with DT Swiss. I think I ran out of wheel options, but if anybody can come up with anything, please post.

Thank you

Posted: Sep 18, 2020 at 19:05 Quote
4Runner02 wrote:
Hello,

I bought the new 2021 Specialized Rockerhopper Elite 10-Speed. I am very much enjoying the ride of my first hardtail.

There is one thing I have been trying to upgrade, but I cannot find the correct replacement parts for the bike. Hopefully, someone here can lead me in the right direction.

The bike is equipped with a 9 QR X 135mm rear hub 29" wheel. The engagement of it is complete crap. So, I have been searching for a new 25mm or 26mm width wheel with a rear hub minimum of 36T. I checked Shimano wheels, but they do not offer a 25mm width wheel. Same with DT Swiss. I think I ran out of wheel options, but if anybody can come up with anything, please post.

Since I have been having too much trouble finding a 25mm wheel and a 9 QR X 135mm, it may be easier to convert the 9 QR X 135mm rear hub to a 12mm axle and 142mm. Do I need a hanger? I am sure wheel searching will be simple after converting it.

Thank you

A bit wider than you're looking but the new nukeproof horizon would be worth a look... Just put one on my dad's older bike because you could get end caps in 135 qr

Posted: Sep 19, 2020 at 11:43 Quote
4Runner02 wrote:
Hello,

Thank you

Maybe Novatec? http://www.novatecusa.net/product/diablo-29/ They look to come with XD642SB hubs which IIRC is one of their super high engagement hubs.

I built up a set a few months ago myself with Novatec hubs, Sapim spokes and Raceface rims (Arc Offset). Though I haven't had much time on them they seem very solid.

Posted: Sep 19, 2020 at 18:41 Quote
Novatec hubs are awful.

Posted: Sep 19, 2020 at 19:39 Quote
I’m looking for some good MTB vacuum racks any experiences?

Posted: Sep 20, 2020 at 7:30 Quote
Anyone got any tips for removing the bushes from Crank Bros Stamp 7 pedals? According to the manual you should be able to remove them with just a paperclip, but I'm getting nowhere with that.

*Edit - used an easy-out and they came out somewhat easily.

Posted: Sep 20, 2020 at 7:35 Quote
[Quote="gabriel-mission9"]
mtbman1980 wrote:

Used to warranty sunrace cassettes. Saw a couple with folded over largest cogs, and a few 11t cogs snapped in two. But given the number sold the failure rate was pretty reasonable. Certainly given the low cost. I've still got one on an old bike that I don't care about enough to throw megabucks at. Theyre ok[/Quote

Do you know which model Sunrace? I have been using the most expensive 10 and 11 speed sunrace cassettes for over 2 years with zero issues. In my experience their more premium offerings are absolutely fantastic.

This year alone I have 1150 miles on my MX3 11-40 on my slayer and its been flawless.

Posted: Sep 20, 2020 at 10:56 Quote
Hi guys so my dhx rc4 rear shock leaked A LOT of oil from the rebound knob area when the bike is upside down, so i decided to take the shock apart and noticed that the red o ring by the end of the shaft is missing . Is the lack of the o ring what is causing the leak .https://www.ridefox.com/fox17/help.php?m=bike&id=192
Thanks.

Posted: Sep 20, 2020 at 11:39 Quote
How much stronger does boost 148 make a rim compared to 142?

Posted: Sep 20, 2020 at 11:52 Quote
Hey guys i just recently started having issues with my Code RSC levers. The brakes are only like 5 months old. The front brake lever is not returning to normal position and is just sitting at the bite point.. my other lever returns normally like its has spring to it. the first photo is of the normal lever and second is the lever im having issues with. Anyone know what the problem might be? I have had issues with the levers before so this is starting to get annoying.

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.016913
Mobile Version of Website