Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]
Posted: Sep 20, 2020 at 20:47 Quote
FloridaHasMTBToo wrote:
izzygaafar wrote:
Quick update: I can't seem to fix my cassette!! Should I ask the original owner to send me a real slx cassette like shown on the ad?
Did you make the transaction through PayPal? If so, you should be able to file a claim with them because the item listed/shown is not the item received. I am not totally sure about this though, so by all means correct me if I'm wrong.

I would ask the seller to send the right cassette before doing that. They may be compliant

Posted: Sep 20, 2020 at 23:51 Quote
Hi, so I was lookin to buy 12-speed drivetrain and I’m wondering if old Sram GX eagle derailleur is compatible with new Sram GX eagle lunar cassete, shifter and chain?

Posted: Sep 21, 2020 at 0:54 Quote
NikoLucic wrote:
Hi, so I was lookin to buy 12-speed drivetrain and I’m wondering if old Sram GX eagle derailleur is compatible with new Sram GX eagle lunar cassete, shifter and chain?

Yes but not the new 52t cassette.

Posted: Sep 21, 2020 at 1:04 Quote
NikoLucic wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-K6YvP5j1kU

open 7.40

Posted: Sep 21, 2020 at 2:42 Quote
izzygaafar wrote:
After my first ride on real trails,the cheap chinese slx copy cassette i got on a bike bought on here, the cassette rings are moving side to side independently in groups. how do i fix it?

If the lock ring is tight, then you probably have an 11 speed mtb cassette(or 10) on an 11 speed road width freehub. A spacer behind the cassette will fix it.

Posted: Sep 21, 2020 at 4:34 Quote
Hi, my buddy has a TRP G spec slate and the lever just died.

I was wondering if my XT M8000 lever would work with it? Just thought i’d ask before I take mine apart to try.

Cheers

Posted: Sep 21, 2020 at 10:25 Quote
gnarcissistictendency wrote:
Hey guys i just recently started having issues with my Code RSC levers. The brakes are only like 5 months old. The front brake lever is not returning to normal position and is just sitting at the bite point.. my other lever returns normally like its has spring to it. the first photo is of the normal lever and second is the lever im having issues with. Anyone know what the problem might be? I have had issues with the levers before so this is starting to get annoying.

It's a very well known issue with sram brakes. More so on the guides but we've seen it on codes too. There are two probable reasons that we have heard kicked around: the seals swell after time and dont allow free movement of sliding shafts over time. And: the mechanical bits inside the lever corrode due to the use of DOT fluid, and, as such they stop sliding past each other smoothly as they should.

If the brakes are only 5 months old take the bike back to where you got it and replaced under warranty. Or give sram a call and see where they say to take it.

Posted: Sep 21, 2020 at 10:27 Quote
Trudeez wrote:
Hey guys i just recently started having issues with my Code RSC levers. The brakes are only like 5 months old. The front brake lever is not returning to normal position and is just sitting at the bite point.. my other lever returns normally like its has spring to it. the first photo is of the normal lever and second is the lever im having issues with. Anyone know what the problem might be? I have had issues with the levers before so this is starting to get annoying.

It's a very well known issue with sram brakes. More so on the guides but we've seen it on codes too. There are two probable reasons that we have heard kicked around: the seals swell after time and dont allow free movement of sliding shafts over time. And: the mechanical bits inside the lever corrode due to the use of DOT fluid, and, as such they stop sliding past each other smoothly as they should.

If the brakes are only 5 months old take the bike back to where you got it and replaced under warranty. Or give sram a call and see where they say to take it.

When you get the new brakes, sell them and buy some Shimano XTR/XT or Hayes Dominions. No more lever failure issues for you.

Posted: Sep 21, 2020 at 11:04 Quote
newbermuda wrote:
FloridaHasMTBToo wrote:
izzygaafar wrote:
Quick update: I can't seem to fix my cassette!! Should I ask the original owner to send me a real slx cassette like shown on the ad?
Did you make the transaction through PayPal? If so, you should be able to file a claim with them because the item listed/shown is not the item received. I am not totally sure about this though, so by all means correct me if I'm wrong.

I would ask the seller to send the right cassette before doing that. They may be compliant

He said that the bike was custom built, and although he advertised the cassette as shimano, it's not a shimano cassette. I'm slightly annoyed right now, but I don't know what to do.

My parents bought me the bike so I really don't want to tell them something is wrong with it, and I don't have the experience or knowledge to decide if its worth opening a ticket over just a part.

Posted: Sep 21, 2020 at 11:18 Quote
izzygaafar wrote:
newbermuda wrote:
FloridaHasMTBToo wrote:

He said that the bike was custom built, and although he advertised the cassette as shimano, it's not a shimano cassette. I'm slightly annoyed right now, but I don't know what to do.

My parents bought me the bike so I really don't want to tell them something is wrong with it, and I don't have the experience or knowledge to decide if its worth opening a ticket over just a part.

i mean i would be annoyed too, but i would give the guy a chance to be direct about the part issue. if you ask and he ignores you or is a dick about it then i would open a ticket. Make sure you have screenshots of his ad and his pictures as evidence.

Posted: Sep 21, 2020 at 12:03 Quote
newbermuda wrote:
izzygaafar wrote:
newbermuda wrote:

i mean i would be annoyed too, but i would give the guy a chance to be direct about the part issue. if you ask and he ignores you or is a dick about it then i would open a ticket. Make sure you have screenshots of his ad and his pictures as evidence.

This is the second time I asked him about it. I'm not sure why he expects me not to have a problem with it when he falsely advertised the part on the bike. I'm just not sure if its worth opening a ticker over a part that cost only a fraction of the bike. This is starting to really bother me...
"Please remember you asked this before. I purchased a frame not a complete bike. I no Original parts."

That was his response, and he apparently didn't know the cassette wasn't shimano, even though he bought the parts himself.

Posted: Sep 21, 2020 at 12:19 Quote
izzygaafar wrote:
newbermuda wrote:
FloridaHasMTBToo wrote:

I'd kick off over it, but then I'm a moody f*cker.

To be honest though, as mentioned above a 1mm cassette spacer behind the cassette will almost certainly solve your issue.

As for the guy not knowing what cassette was really on there. He may be trying to pull the wool over your eyes, but I'd imagine it really is more likely he didn't know. Having worked in the industry for many years, I can confirm that most people who are into bikes don't have any f*cking clue what they own. People are dumb.

If a spacer solves your issue, it might be worth just sucking it up and trying not to let it spoil the enjoyment of the bike for you. The cassette will need replacing in a year or two anyway, so in the long run you aren't really losing out on much.

Posted: Sep 21, 2020 at 12:22 Quote
Trudeez wrote:
Trudeez wrote:

When you get the new brakes, sell them and buy some Shimano XTR/XT or Hayes Dominions. No more lever failure issues for you.

Expect a drop in power vs Code if you go the Shimano route though. Also lever modulation basically doesn't exist on Shimano brakes so only get them if you like brakes that feel like on/off.

Posted: Sep 21, 2020 at 12:25 Quote
Shigura is the way to go Big Grin

Posted: Sep 21, 2020 at 12:28 Quote
Shimano or bust. I don't like squeezing a sponge of a brake when i ride heh heh heh

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.015233
Mobile Version of Website