Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]
Posted: Sep 21, 2020 at 16:05 Quote
My G2s have been flawless so far. Ninja

Posted: Sep 21, 2020 at 17:33 Quote
Three years in on my Codes R’s and no issues. Bled every 6 months or so and they just keep working.

Paint has started pealing and pivots are a bit sloppy so will probably get a new set next year.

I had 4 years on my previous DB5’s no issues other than some heat issues on sustained descents.

Posted: Sep 21, 2020 at 17:38 Quote
I’ve got a set of the dreaded sticky piston guide rs that have treated me fine for for nearly 4 years. That said, I’m all in on the dominions. They just feel better than my friends codes, my own v4s, saints, etc. They really are just that good.

Caveat: I have not ridden the quadiems. I’ve loved other trp products I’ve had but haven’t had the pleasure.

Posted: Sep 21, 2020 at 18:10 Quote
I wouldn’t mind giving the Quadniem or the Dominion a try. I shall see next year what kind of prices they have.

Posted: Sep 21, 2020 at 18:41 Quote
seraph wrote:
Trudeez wrote:
Trudeez wrote:

It's a very well known issue with sram brakes. More so on the guides but we've seen it on codes too. There are two probable reasons that we have heard kicked around: the seals swell after time and dont allow free movement of sliding shafts over time. And: the mechanical bits inside the lever corrode due to the use of DOT fluid, and, as such they stop sliding past each other smoothly as they should.

If the brakes are only 5 months old take the bike back to where you got it and replaced under warranty. Or give sram a call and see where they say to take it.

When you get the new brakes, sell them and buy some Shimano XTR/XT or Hayes Dominions. No more lever failure issues for you.

Expect a drop in power vs Code if you go the Shimano route though. Also lever modulation basically doesn't exist on Shimano brakes so only get them if you like brakes that feel like on/off.

This is the second time I’ve had issues with the levers. Seriously considering selling them. If I do I’m thinking I may check out Hayes Dominion’s. Seems like there hasn’t been Any real issues with them so far as I can tell

Posted: Sep 21, 2020 at 18:46 Quote
Hey y'all, my 2020 Yari RC has been making this awful clicking sound after any sizeable compression. I was wondering if this is common on these forks, and how to fix it. I have worked in a shop for most of my riding years, but have almost no clue on how to service suspension, so anything helps, thanks!

Posted: Sep 21, 2020 at 19:04 Quote
gnarcissistictendency wrote:
seraph wrote:
Trudeez wrote:

When you get the new brakes, sell them and buy some Shimano XTR/XT or Hayes Dominions. No more lever failure issues for you.

Expect a drop in power vs Code if you go the Shimano route though. Also lever modulation basically doesn't exist on Shimano brakes so only get them if you like brakes that feel like on/off.

This is the second time I’ve had issues with the levers. Seriously considering selling them. If I do I’m thinking I may check out Hayes Dominion’s. Seems like there hasn’t been Any real issues with them so far as I can tell

Hopefully they don’t have many issues almost no one uses them.

Posted: Sep 21, 2020 at 19:44 Quote
mtbman1980 wrote:
gnarcissistictendency wrote:
seraph wrote:

Hopefully they don’t have many issues almost no one uses them.
I've got 4 sets of Hayes mags still fully functional. Hopefully they get back to that kind of reliability.

Posted: Sep 21, 2020 at 20:10 Quote
FloridaHasMTBToo wrote:
Hey y'all, my 2020 Yari RC has been making this awful clicking sound after any sizeable compression. I was wondering if this is common on these forks, and how to fix it. I have worked in a shop for most of my riding years, but have almost no clue on how to service suspension, so anything helps, thanks!

possible it could be the csu. does it happen when you brake, or pedal?

Posted: Sep 21, 2020 at 21:48 Quote
R-M-R wrote:
newbermuda wrote:
Ok so i was pumping up a road tube, brand new specialized, in a brand new schwalbe tire for my girlfriend's road bike today, and around 45 psi the thing just exploded, sounded like a gunshot. take the tube out, and there's literally a 6 inch tear along the side. anyone else have this happen? like is this a normal thing?

I had a wheelset that was plagued with this problem. Tubeless-compatible rim with tubed tires.

Here's what was happening in my case:

Tubeless rims have a bead channel designed to quickly form a seal, then the tire beads slide up the rim under pressure. Enough pressure built up prior to the beads sliding that the tube was stuck against the rim. When the beads started to move, the tube didn't slip over the tire or rim; instead, the tube just ripped in the region where the bead began to move when the bead snapped into place against the edges of the rim.

The solution was to utterly coat the tire, tube, and rim in silicone spray. A hassle, but it worked ... most of the time.

Talcum powder..........

Posted: Sep 21, 2020 at 22:07 Quote
Wasn't adequate.

Posted: Sep 21, 2020 at 22:25 Quote
Shigura setup is pretty amazing IMO. PO had MT5 on the bike and the performance was good but the levers were flimsy. Bleeding them also sucked. After I had my front brake go out ten minutes into a 3000ft descent I pedaled up, I decided to try something different and bought some SLX levers on the cheap.

Setup was super easy, I just used Shimano olives and fittings on the Magura line. Simple top bleed and they were ready to go. I have about 300 miles on them so far and they feel great, have required no maintenance, and have made a few friends unhappy about their brake feel.

Only downside so far is I yeeted myself over the bars once or twice before getting used to them.

Posted: Sep 22, 2020 at 1:11 Quote
how can i make a diy seal driver for 36 and 40mm forks ?

I'm about to service a 36 and a 40 fork

Posted: Sep 22, 2020 at 2:26 Quote
Noeserd wrote:
how can i make a diy seal driver for 36 and 40mm forks ?

I'm about to service a 36 and a 40 fork

lots of option with pvc pipe and making one, but honestly I'd prefer hardwood turned round with a squared step and a recess for the lip.

Posted: Sep 22, 2020 at 7:27 Quote
MTBrandonLee wrote:
FloridaHasMTBToo wrote:

possible it could be the csu. does it happen when you brake, or pedal?
It sometimes happens during heavy braking, but not often, if ever, during pedaling. Also, since I'm no mechanic, what is a csu?

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.013902
Mobile Version of Website