Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]
Posted: Oct 17, 2020 at 13:56 Quote
Friend of mine has had problems with gx chains cracking and snapping, will the shifting be negatively effected with a different brand of chain?

Posted: Oct 17, 2020 at 14:00 Quote
GX chains have shown to be one of the strongest in multiple tests, and from personal anecdotes, they only snap when installed incorrectly or hit against something.

In short, if he's busting a lot of GX chains, chances are he's going to write off most any other chain.

Regarding shifting, third party chains, especially KMC, do shift fairly well. Wouldn't be worried about that.

Posted: Oct 17, 2020 at 14:04 Quote
dingus wrote:
Friend of mine has had problems with gx chains cracking and snapping, will the shifting be negatively effected with a different brand of chain?

my friends gx chain snapped 10 times so we bought slx 12spd chain,it shifted better but snapped 12 times, we dont know why

Posted: Oct 17, 2020 at 14:13 Quote
Noeserd wrote:
my friends gx chain snapped 10 times so we bought slx 12spd chain,it shifted better but snapped 12 times, we dont know why

Are you joining the chain with the proper, 2-part link? You're not just pushing a rivet out, then back in, right?

Posted: Oct 17, 2020 at 14:14 Quote
Noeserd wrote:
dingus wrote:

One time for each number of speeds.

Posted: Oct 17, 2020 at 14:28 Quote
Noeserd wrote:
dingus wrote:

In no particular order:

Smashing chainring into rocks?
Shifting under full load?
E-bike?
0 maintenance/lube?
incorrect assembly?
Bent tooth on chainring or cassette?
Bad chainline (boost chainring on non boost wheel or something)
Not paying attention to narrow/wide orientation on chainring or jockey wheels?
poorly set up shifter?

It's probably one of the above. It's probably not the chains fault, and unless your mate is chris hoy it's probably not his mighty thighs either.

Posted: Oct 17, 2020 at 14:50 Quote
R-M-R wrote:
Noeserd wrote:

Are you joining the chain with the proper, 2-part link? You're not just pushing a rivet out, then back in, right?

yep i used the quick link,

Posted: Oct 17, 2020 at 14:54 Quote
gabriel-mission9 wrote:
Noeserd wrote:
dingus wrote:

In no particular order:

Smashing chainring into rocks?
Shifting under full load?
E-bike?
0 maintenance/lube?
incorrect assembly?
Bent tooth on chainring or cassette?
Bad chainline (boost chainring on non boost wheel or something)
Not paying attention to narrow/wide orientation on chainring or jockey wheels?
poorly set up shifter?

It's probably one of the above. It's probably not the chains fault, and unless your mate is chris hoy it's probably not his mighty thighs either.

We installed the chain to a lbs specifically. everything is fine on the drivetrain, gear indexing is fine no bent or broken teets, it happens only when he loads the chain for tricks.i maintain the chain regularly(cleaning lubing) He is not the fittest guy either

just got the xx1 chain (both gx and slx is unusable) and i will install it with this video, if something happens like that again i will report here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wCt9BJRNew

Posted: Oct 17, 2020 at 17:12 Quote
Is it normal for derailleur cables to snap on rough trails?

This summer I did 6 full days of riding downhill park on my trail bike with a Shimano SLX 11-speed long cage derailleur. In those 6 days, I had 2 derailleur cables snap right in between the clamp on the derailleur and where the cable exited the housing at the back end. It has never snapped before in the 1 1/2 years I have been riding my bike, although I was riding much more aggressively in the park than I normally do at my local trail systems. I just find it odd that it happened twice in the same spot while being subject to the same conditions (which are not my normal riding conditions)

Posted: Oct 17, 2020 at 17:27 Quote
I have broken 1 rear derailleur cable and it was on my slx 11speed. 1 in 3 years and 2 different derailleurs. I know if the housing is a little short it can make the last bend a little tight.

Posted: Oct 17, 2020 at 18:11 Quote
You might've just weakened the first one over 2 years and it happened to fail that day (in part because the trails were so much rougher, so you expedite the wear on it).

As for the second one, you might've got a weaker cable than what you had before, I've personally found that the MEC cables fail on me surprisingly quickly (although they are 1/2 the price of the cheapest Shimano ones).

Is the point where it snapped have a particularly tight bend or something? Would it be affected by suspension movement?

Posted: Oct 17, 2020 at 18:39 Quote
matt-15 wrote:
Is it normal for derailleur cables to snap on rough trails? [ ... ] Shimano SLX 11-speed [ ... ]
mtbman1980 wrote:
I know if the housing is a little short it can make the last bend a little tight.

Shimano's rear derailleur cable routing has improved since the original set-up that entered directly from the rear, but their derailleurs still require more direction change than SRAM and people frequently run their rear derailleur housing poorly. Case in point, your Trance:

First couple laps down on my 2021 Fox DPX2 Factory

Your frame's intended routing is under the chainstay, which makes it nearly impossible to avoid awkward, tight bends for your Shimano derailleur. I recommend ignoring the frame's housing bosses and improving your own set-up with large-radius bends and enough housing that that the cable and housing enter the derailleur in a straight path, without making a change of direction directly at the point of entry.

Below is what I did with my Bird AM9. Extra length and it's not pretty, but the bends are smoother. Could be even better if I passed it over the chainstay pivot and kept it above the chainstay, though this would require additional hardware.

For you, since your cable naturally passes over the lower link, it may be best to keep it on top of the chainstay, then pass upward, inboard of the seatstay, as on my AM9.

2019 build details. Light where it can be heavy where it matters. Frame Bird Aeris AM9 size Large Shock EXT Arma Fork MRP Ribbon Coil Wheels - Hubs Extralite Hyperboost - Rims Race Face ARC Carbon 36 - Spokes Berd Polylight - Tires F Kenda Hellkat ATC 2.6 R Kenda Nevegal2 ATC 2.6 Brakes Magura MT7 203 mm Drivetrain - Cranks e thirteen TRS Plus - Chainring e thirteen SL Guidering 28T spaced non-Boost - Cassette e thirteen TRS Race 11sp 9-46 - Chain Box One 11sp - Shifter Box One - Derailleur Box One Seatpost BikeYoke Revive. 185 mm Bar Answer ProTaper Carbon 810 mm 25 mm rise Stem Answer AME 40 mm Headset Cane Creek 40 Pedals Look X-Track En-Rage Grips ODI Elite Pro or Oury push-on Saddle Velo

Posted: Oct 17, 2020 at 18:54 Quote
Rockshox Recon TK silver solo air FS-RCNS-TK-A2 not sure of exact year,
question: can I use a newer compression damper cartridge in an older fork?
my damper has a broken lip at the bottom that holds the seal in place, and I can't find an exact replacement,

Posted: Oct 18, 2020 at 2:49 Quote
Started experiencing frequent slipping from my drivetrain - the chain is about due to be replaced and the cassette with it as they just now measure 0.75 on my chain checker. However, that shouldn't be worn enough to slip like this in every single gear, and the N/W teeth seem too tall to have the chain be skipping there.

Could it be the star ratchet rings in my 240s hub? Have had the hub for 5 years now, they look like they're in OK condition but maybe the wear isn't super visible on those small wedge teeth.

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.012944
Mobile Version of Website