Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]
Posted: Nov 21, 2020 at 17:34 Quote
Hope I am not interrupting a good conversation, but I have a problem with my rock shocks Yari that I genuinely think is unfixable. I have owned it for about six months and have used it heavily for trail Enduro and downhill. The fork feels awesome and rides well. but my bike started to make a clicking noise that I could not solve. Clicking sounds drive me absolutely insane, and I just realized today that it’s coming from my fork, likely where the bushings are located (not the wiper seals) I put my hand on my fork, lock the front brake while pushing it back-and-forth and there is a clicking sound that you can also feel through your hand on the fork. Hope y’all can help me out or should I just upgrade to the zeb?

Posted: Nov 21, 2020 at 18:45 Quote
HunterBoMTB wrote:
Hope I am not interrupting a good conversation, but I have a problem with my rock shocks Yari that I genuinely think is unfixable. I have owned it for about six months and have used it heavily for trail Enduro and downhill. The fork feels awesome and rides well. but my bike started to make a clicking noise that I could not solve. Clicking sounds drive me absolutely insane, and I just realized today that it’s coming from my fork, likely where the bushings are located (not the wiper seals) I put my hand on my fork, lock the front brake while pushing it back-and-forth and there is a clicking sound that you can also feel through your hand on the fork. Hope y’all can help me out or should I just upgrade to the zeb?
Check your Crown race, it's pretty common for these to shift and cause a click or clunk type noise. I would start by completely disassembling the headset (remove the race from the fork aswell), clean all surfaces thoroughly, grease and reinstall, I would suggest you do a lowers service aswell.

Also brake pads can shift in the caliper resulting in a similar sound, a loose rotor has a similar effect, generally bushings will not have noticeable noise if worn due to the layers of things between them and your ears...

Posted: Nov 21, 2020 at 18:51 Quote
I've had a plastic crown race (cane creek 10) be pretty creeky on me as well.

Posted: Nov 21, 2020 at 18:53 Quote
The fit of the FSA unit I have on my alpine trail is abysmal and requires pretty frequent cleaning to keep the noises at bay.

Posted: Nov 21, 2020 at 19:19 Quote
HunterBoMTB wrote:

I have the same issue, and I have mostly kept it at bay by snugging down my top cap a little more than normal, and it seems to do the trick. It still returns every now and again, but it is not nearly as bad now.

Posted: Nov 21, 2020 at 20:18 Quote
Could this not be a CSU creak coming from where the stantchions are press fit into the crown ?

Posted: Nov 21, 2020 at 21:03 Quote
cyberoptixs wrote:
Could this not be a CSU creak coming from where the stantchions are press fit into the crown ?
Possible, however with diagnosis it's best to start by ruling out easy to repair items first.

Posted: Nov 21, 2020 at 22:37 Quote
ajax-ripper wrote:
cyberoptixs wrote:
Possible, however with diagnosis it's best to start by ruling out easy to repair items first.

Fair enough I was just throwing in my 2 cents my old lyrik made the same noise that’s why I commented

Posted: Nov 22, 2020 at 8:06 Quote
Hi the compression lever on my float dps can spin 360 in both derection when it should only go in three position and reasons ?

Posted: Nov 22, 2020 at 8:57 Quote
SamuelBallouard wrote:
Hi the compression lever on my float dps can spin 360 in both derection when it should only go in three position and reasons ?

Also have the same issue in mind, weird scenario there. I’m pretty sure some kids at school school actually just took it and twisted the crap out of it till it popped

Posted: Nov 22, 2020 at 9:54 Quote
Dumb question, are derailleur hangers proprietary or generic?

Posted: Nov 22, 2020 at 10:01 Quote
The vast majority are proprietary, with emergency hangers being more generic, but suboptimal for most bikes, their main purpose being getting you back to the trailhead.

There's a new standard by SRAM (?) floating around that some companies have started using (the only one that comes to mind is Trek).

Wheels Manufacturing has a nice tool on their site to track down what derailleur hanger you need for your bike. It's not perfect, but it's pretty good.

Posted: Nov 22, 2020 at 10:08 Quote
watch123 wrote:
The vast majority are proprietary, with emergency hangers being more generic, but suboptimal for most bikes, their main purpose being getting you back to the trailhead.

There's a new standard by SRAM (?) floating around that some companies have started using (the only one that comes to mind is Trek).

Wheels Manufacturing has a nice tool on their site to track down what derailleur hanger you need for your bike. It's not perfect, but it's pretty good.

Santa Cruz has also started using them on their latest bikes.

Posted: Nov 22, 2020 at 11:20 Quote
diamondback1x9 wrote:
Dumb question, are derailleur hangers proprietary or generic?

There are only about 34908739804573894573894759834753745 different derailleur hangers available.

Posted: Nov 22, 2020 at 11:45 Quote
Trudeez wrote:
watch123 wrote:

Santa Cruz has also started using them on their latest bikes.

Which makes sense to be honest

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.013056
Mobile Version of Website