Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]
Posted: Nov 29, 2020 at 2:33 Quote
JohnyBoy wrote:
So the dreaded 141 x QR question. Anyone know of an off the shelf cheap 27.5" rear wheel?

I'm pretty sure its a boost 148 hub with narrower adapters - but?
That's exactly what it is. What's your definition of cheap? Do you prefer to shop online or do you like keeping money in your local economy?

Posted: Nov 29, 2020 at 9:00 Quote
What way does a maxle ultimate thread? Also what do you do if you shear it.
2014 rockshox pike ultimate

Posted: Nov 29, 2020 at 9:48 Quote
ajax-ripper wrote:
JohnyBoy wrote:
So the dreaded 141 x QR question. Anyone know of an off the shelf cheap 27.5" rear wheel?

I'm pretty sure its a boost 148 hub with narrower adapters - but?
That's exactly what it is. What's your definition of cheap? Do you prefer to shop online or do you like keeping money in your local economy?

Anywhere i can get one in the UK. Shimano MT200 hub fits the bill, but can't find a built wheel. But ideally around £120

Posted: Nov 29, 2020 at 9:58 Quote
diamondback1x9 wrote:
2014 rockshox pike ultimate

All axles thread like a regular bolt. Righty-tighty lefty-loosey. If you shear the handle off, be prepared to drill and use an easy out.

Posted: Nov 29, 2020 at 12:58 Quote
seraph wrote:
diamondback1x9 wrote:
2014 rockshox pike

All axles thread like a regular bolt. Righty-tighty lefty-loosey. If you shear the handle off, be prepared to drill and use an easy out.
Yea we used an easy out so now i have another question. Idk what thru axle to get, i.e. do i have to get a maxle thru axle or can i get a regular one?

Posted: Nov 29, 2020 at 14:21 Quote
diamondback1x9 wrote:
seraph wrote:
diamondback1x9 wrote:
2014 rockshox pike

Yea we used an easy out so now i have another question. Idk what thru axle to get, i.e. do i have to get a maxle thru axle or can i get a regular one?

20mm Maxles on Boxxers should be replaced with genuine maxle replacements. Any other maxle (15mm front or 12mm rear), I would strongly advise replacing with something else. Maxles are overly expensive and more prone to failure than many alternatives.

However bear in mind I hate quick-release things in general, so I am a little biased here...

Posted: Nov 29, 2020 at 14:27 Quote
I'm a fan of Burgtecs offerings re: aftermarket axles. They are well designed (for example not having a stupid taper that leaves your driveside rear hub main bearing completely unsupported!!! Looking at you Syntace...) and a good price.

Posted: Nov 29, 2020 at 19:08 Quote
VTwintips wrote:
VTwintips wrote:
anoplura wrote:

Yes, the Suntour Zeron cranks use a 24mm bottom bracket, which is compatible with Shimano Hollowtech and RaceFace. It is NOT GXP compatible.

So, Shimano Zee cranks with a 73mm width are probably your best choice.

Thanks for the response. https://vitusbikes.com/products/mythique-29-vr-bike-deore-1x10

So is this a typo on their website? A Shimano Zee would be ideal, I think, if correct. What about the chainline? The 53mm BOOST issue.

Upon checking with micrometers, the crankset has 23.97mm and 23.96mm axle diameters. So I guess we'll be using a Shimano or Raceface Crankset. The next question is about that chainline. It appears a Shimano Zee will NOT work.

Yeah, non-Boost cranks often work fine on Boost-spaced bikes, but in your case, it's unlikely that the Zee cranks would fit unless you mounted the chainring on the outside - which would give you a chainline closer to 57mm and limit you to a 30t ring as the smallest.

SLX cranks are a great option for the money, except for the proprietary chainring spacing...

I suggest RaceFace Aeffect. You can use the same BB, and you'll have a large option of RaceFace and third-party chainrings - direct mount, and otherwise.

O+
Posted: Nov 30, 2020 at 8:43 Quote
Hi All who may know more than i do, well hopefully you do hence my question.

I run a 11 x 1 shimano XT set up with Hope cranks and Hope hubs, i want to upgrade to 12 x 1, what is the best route as i wanted to stick to shimano if possible but would change to scam sorry sram if needs must.

Cheers for any help

Posted: Nov 30, 2020 at 8:54 Quote
SMMclean281 wrote:
Hi All who may know more than i do, well hopefully you do hence my question.

I run a 11 x 1 shimano XT set up with Hope cranks and Hope hubs, i want to upgrade to 12 x 1, what is the best route as i wanted to stick to shimano if possible but would change to scam sorry sram if needs must.

Cheers for any help
You'll need a cassette, microspline freehub body, chain, derailleur Shifter and compatible chainring.

O+
Posted: Nov 30, 2020 at 8:57 Quote
Cheers Ajax- ripper, thought as much, over time it is lol, last question, do you know if the 12 speed shimano freehub would fit straight on to the hope hubs i have that at he moment have the 11 speed freehub, hope pro 4 hub

Posted: Nov 30, 2020 at 8:58 Quote
SMMclean281 wrote:
Cheers Ajax, thought as much, over time it is lol, last question, do you know if the 12 speed shimano freehub would fit straight on to the hope hubs i have that at he moment have the 11 speed freehub, hope pro 4 hub
You'll need the appropriate freehub body for your hub.

Posted: Nov 30, 2020 at 9:25 Quote
ajax-ripper wrote:
SMMclean281 wrote:
Cheers Ajax, thought as much, over time it is lol, last question, do you know if the 12 speed shimano freehub would fit straight on to the hope hubs i have that at he moment have the 11 speed freehub, hope pro 4 hub
You'll need the appropriate freehub body for your hub.

But yes, Hope make a microspline freehub

O+
Posted: Nov 30, 2020 at 10:01 Quote
Pretty sure Sunrace make a 12sp hg body cassette. Might save the cost of the freehub body swap for now.

You can also work a Deore/SLX 11/12 speed rear derailleur with your 11sp shifter and run a wider ratio 11-51 cassette if thats what you are looking for.

O+
Posted: Nov 30, 2020 at 10:16 Quote
New question for a pretty new bike with a SRAM (Eagle?) AXS derailleur.

Ideally I'm hoping to fix myself or work with SRAM. I noticed sometimes when shifting to a harder gear, I hear the digital AXS noise right when I hit the paddle, but the derailleur doesn't move. I've noticed this happens mostly when riding statically on the bike, like on a climb on the saddle, and when I change the compression/sag, it does something to initiate the shifting, and does shift fine into gear. So usually it's fine on the trail. Taking a closer look putting the bike on a stand, the issue is more apparent: I hear the noise but the derailleur usually doesn't move, especially going to a harder gear. The only thing I can think is that it's a chain length issue? Firmware has been updated, but same issue. I don't think it's a micro adjust thing, because there's no shifting noise or delay besides the main pause, but I could be wrong. Basically, it's almost like it works fine on trails as they're usually bumpy enough for any small bump/change in shock compression to 'help' the shifting, but if I were say climbing up a road and not moving around a bunch, the derailleur many times doesn't respond, until I get off the saddle. Thanks for any help.

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.023530
Mobile Version of Website