Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]
Posted: Dec 1, 2020 at 12:30 Quote
Ycroiger wrote:
PAINT

Can you customer paint an aluminum frame using paint for autos? 2008 BMW Carbon Schwartz in particular.

Yes. We have had many customers get their bikes custom sprayed at an automotive center. My experience is that the finish isn't usually as good as a factory finish, sometimes theres some overspray or tight areas that dont get as much attention. I would definitely recommend being very thorough with your taping. Whether you're doing it yourself or having a auto center do it. Make sure anything threaded - BOTTOM BRACKET ESPECIALLY - is well taped off or plugged. Chasing threads that have been painted over is a pain in the ass, and in some cases the taps dont exist. (Iscg mounts, brake caliper bosses, dropouts, bottle cage mounts). Also cover the seat tube and headset because overspray can affect fit of the seatpost and headset.

Posted: Dec 1, 2020 at 13:36 Quote
Ycroiger wrote:
PAINT

Can you customer paint an aluminum frame using paint for autos? 2008 BMW Carbon Schwartz in particular.

don't see why not. I had my road bike painted a factory Mopar green...(not such a great color choice...lol...but it was an automotive finish regardless....).

And yes...prep is key just as Trudeez noted. The shop that did my road bike didn't do such a hot job in every single area mentioned by Trudeez. It took me hours (days..!) of trying to clean paint out of the BB threads with no taps available to chase them with, carefully cleaning insides of the headtube and seattube, etc. Bike also had chrome dropouts which the paint ship eff'd up pretty badly much to my dismay... Frown I was really inexperienced when I decided to have this done.

excellent color choice on BMW's Carbon Black though if I don't say so myself Wink

2003 Euro 525i M-Sport Individual - Carbon Black w Cinnamon leather

Posted: Dec 1, 2020 at 13:55 Quote
Ycroiger wrote:
PAINT

Yes. We have had many customers get their bikes custom sprayed at an automotive center. My experience is that the finish isn't usually as good as a factory finish, sometimes theres some overspray or tight areas that dont get as much attention. I would definitely recommend being very thorough with your taping. Whether you're doing it yourself or having a auto center do it. Make sure anything threaded - BOTTOM BRACKET ESPECIALLY - is well taped off or plugged. Chasing threads that have been painted over is a pain in the ass, and in some cases the taps dont exist. (Iscg mounts, brake caliper bosses, dropouts, bottle cage mounts). Also cover the seat tube and headset because overspray can affect fit of the seatpost and headset.

Posted: Dec 1, 2020 at 18:27 Quote
cjeder wrote:
HunterBoMTB wrote:
Another question for the mechanics lounge, my rock shocks Yari (2021) has a bit of an issue upon attempting to remove the axle. Upon trying to loosen it, it makes a loud cracking and popping sound multiple times as I pull hard to loosen the axle. I usually torque it down to only 10 N meters with no issues or sounds, but the moment I try to loosen it up, even after being in for short periods of time it will make loud cracking and popping sounds, causing a fair deal of concern. Is this something I should be worried about??
Have you checked the alignment of the drop outs? The axle may be binding in the fork

Check that out, looks completely fine. Any other possible issues? I know that the hub and fork are both boost, any other guesses?

Posted: Dec 1, 2020 at 18:36 Quote
HunterBoMTB wrote:
cjeder wrote:
HunterBoMTB wrote:
Another question for the mechanics lounge, my rock shocks Yari (2021) has a bit of an issue upon attempting to remove the axle. Upon trying to loosen it, it makes a loud cracking and popping sound multiple times as I pull hard to loosen the axle. I usually torque it down to only 10 N meters with no issues or sounds, but the moment I try to loosen it up, even after being in for short periods of time it will make loud cracking and popping sounds, causing a fair deal of concern. Is this something I should be worried about??
Have you checked the alignment of the drop outs? The axle may be binding in the fork
Your putting a thin layer of grease on the thing right?
Check that out, looks completely fine. Any other possible issues? I know that the hub and fork are both boost, any other guesses?

Posted: Dec 1, 2020 at 21:39 Quote
ajax-ripper wrote:
HunterBoMTB wrote:
cjeder wrote:
Your putting a thin layer of grease on the thing right?

Yep.

Posted: Dec 2, 2020 at 2:11 Quote
What's the difference between a 68e/73mm bottom bracket and a 73mm bottom bracket? SRAM have 68mm, 68e/73mm and 73mm as options for the Powerspline BB but I can't seem to find an explanation.

Posted: Dec 2, 2020 at 5:53 Quote
68e is for an e-type derailleur (or chain guide without iscg mount) which would mount behind the bb cup.

Posted: Dec 2, 2020 at 13:05 Quote
Sup. Replaced Bearings in Hope Pro 4 Rear Hub inc shimano freehub. Pawls and springs refitted and Green Hub Seal Fitted. Cassette fitted. Mounted into frame, axle in and tightened. Rotate the cranks by hand and then come off, then the cranks keep rotating through like a fixed gear bike. Pawls are firing and returning well. My only thought is that the Green Hub Seal is deformed and interfering with the Pawls as it feels tighter when the seal is seated down with the seating tool. When the cassette is gripped, it will freewheel, but lacks smoothness. I've ordered New Pawls & Springs and Green Hub Seal. Have any of you Hope Pro 4 Riders, had these symptoms, and diagnosed it!?

Posted: Dec 2, 2020 at 13:20 Quote
Did you replace the spacer between the freehub and hub body?

Posted: Dec 2, 2020 at 13:21 Quote
Gone for a NX Sram 11 x 50 cassette, xt mech and shifter with a kmc 12 speed chain, saved me changing the freehub and works perfectly

Posted: Dec 2, 2020 at 15:27 Quote
Hello Pinkbike community,

I’ve just bought a bontrager aeolus 5 wheelset but I have a minor problem with compatibility. My drivetrain is Shimano 105 r5800 11-speed but the new wheelset freehub is a 10-speed bontrager freehub with dtswiss 180/240 internals.

I was originally planning on buying a new 11-speed freehub as bontrager sells them compatible for my wheels but I saw online that some people claimed that they got 10 speed shimano cassettes working with 11 speed drivetrains.

I was looking for the cheapest functional option. I have both 10 speed and 11 speed shimano cassettes so if the conversion is possible, I’d love to not have to spend another $110 on a new freehub.

Thanks!

Posted: Dec 2, 2020 at 15:40 Quote
nickkhuang wrote:

I’ve just bought a bontrager aeolus 5 wheelset but I have a minor problem with compatibility. My drivetrain is Shimano 105 r5800 11-speed but the new wheelset freehub is a 10-speed bontrager freehub with dtswiss 180/240 internals.

I was originally planning on buying a new 11-speed freehub as bontrager sells them compatible for my wheels but I saw online that some people claimed that they got 10 speed shimano cassettes working with 11 speed drivetrains.

I was looking for the cheapest functional option. I have both 10 speed and 11 speed shimano cassettes so if the conversion is possible, I’d love to not have to spend another $110 on a new freehub.

Thanks!

Unless bontrager was doing something strange your hub body is either HG or XD in either case they will fit an 11sp.

Posted: Dec 2, 2020 at 15:55 Quote
mtbman1980 wrote:
nickkhuang wrote:

Thanks!

Unless bontrager was doing something strange your hub body is either HG or XD in either case they will fit an 11sp.
Road 11 speed is a slightly wider HG freehub body. It's a f*cking PITA

Posted: Dec 2, 2020 at 16:04 Quote
[Quote="mtbman1980"]
nickkhuang wrote:

Thanks!

Unless bontrager was doing something strange your hub body is either HG or XD in either case they will fit an 11sp.[/Quote

The freehub body is 10 speed, it will not fit the 11 speed because the 11 speed cassette is too wide by a little bit I was wondering if theres any workarounds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv23 0.013306
Mobile Version of Website