Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]
Posted: Dec 5, 2020 at 18:43 Quote
tbeezle wrote:
FirstFox wrote:
Well let me say I Hate Sram Level Brakes . when working they are great but my issue is always the Bleeding of them. they say how great and easy it is with the bleeding edge system. Sure that is nice but my issue is the levers . You can watch 100 you tube videos and they just screw in the lever port adapter and then open the bleed port on the caliper and just push the fluid from lever to caliper then caliper to lever and it goes so smooth. NEVER has that been the case for me. and yes i have the lever reach set at 75-80mm from the center of the bars. and i can push hard enough that the hose will blow off the port fitting and it will not push through to the caliper or back. its driven me so crazy that i opened up a lever and hooked a hose and syringe up to it to see if the reach adjust maybe needed to go a little more or less. and it doesn't move through the lever. it just doesn't make sense. ive had tons of sram/avid brakes and bleed them hundreds of times but these just wont work . I don't know what to say or do . I've rebuilt them from top to bottom and nothing changes . I cant believe i am the only person who has had this issue. the brakes are Sram Level TLM brakes. so any ideas or people who had the same issues . anything is appreciated

Are you bleeding the caliper and lever independently and using pressure from the syringe to the lever when releasing it from the bar? My levels bleed flawlessly

My nephew also has levels and I bleed them all the time I followed epic bleed solutions and haven’t had a issue

Posted: Dec 6, 2020 at 3:19 Quote
Just wondering right now my bearings are completely gone in my hubs but I don’t know the size so will have to take out first do anywhere in uk sell bearings so it wouldn’t be long delivery My bikes on my account

Posted: Dec 6, 2020 at 6:59 Quote
kinny-pb wrote:
DISCLAIMER: I am not a mechanic, but thought I'd make a thread for quick questions for mechanics to answer all technical related enquiries.

I thought it'd be a good idea as when mechanics have seen this, they can subscribe, and most questions will be seen by one of the mechs to be answered if somebody is desperate for a quick answer.

Feel free to click HERE which will subscribe you to the thread, or just click subscribe above.

#BANS , #BANS

Posted: Dec 6, 2020 at 10:20 Quote
Ha-z wrote:
Just wondering right now my bearings are completely gone in my hubs but I don’t know the size so will have to take out first do anywhere in uk sell bearings so it wouldn’t be long delivery My bikes on my account

I'd call around to bicycle-specific shops in your area. To find the size I would try the manufacturer's website or contact the shop you purchased it at as they usually have more detailed info and could possibly have the size of the bearings. If you can't find that specific of info, find out what the model number on your hub is and then search to see if you can find further specs.

Posted: Dec 6, 2020 at 10:47 Quote
Most bearings will have the size molded into the seals. You may see something like 6802-2RS. The first part is the size code and the second is the seal type.

Posted: Dec 6, 2020 at 10:57 Quote
FirstFox wrote:
Well let me say I Hate Sram Level Brakes . when working they are great but my issue is always the Bleeding of them. they say how great and easy it is with the bleeding edge system. Sure that is nice but my issue is the levers . You can watch 100 you tube videos and they just screw in the lever port adapter and then open the bleed port on the caliper and just push the fluid from lever to caliper then caliper to lever and it goes so smooth. NEVER has that been the case for me. and yes i have the lever reach set at 75-80mm from the center of the bars. and i can push hard enough that the hose will blow off the port fitting and it will not push through to the caliper or back. its driven me so crazy that i opened up a lever and hooked a hose and syringe up to it to see if the reach adjust maybe needed to go a little more or less. and it doesn't move through the lever. it just doesn't make sense. ive had tons of sram/avid brakes and bleed them hundreds of times but these just wont work . I don't know what to say or do . I've rebuilt them from top to bottom and nothing changes . I cant believe i am the only person who has had this issue. the brakes are Sram Level TLM brakes. so any ideas or people who had the same issues . anything is appreciated

lol, Levels are so easy to bleed. I've literally never had a problem bleeding SRAM brakes. Bleeding Edge really does make it so damn easy.

Posted: Dec 6, 2020 at 12:41 Quote
But also f*ck bleeding edge

Posted: Dec 6, 2020 at 12:44 Quote
ajax-ripper wrote:

Nah, Bleeding Edge is awesome. I honestly can't find a fault with it.

Posted: Dec 6, 2020 at 12:52 Quote
seraph wrote:
ajax-ripper wrote:

Some people just have a warm place in their hearts for hose and nipples.

Posted: Dec 6, 2020 at 12:55 Quote
seraph wrote:
ajax-ripper wrote:

Perhaps you could share your technique for those who seems to have less consistent success.

Posted: Dec 6, 2020 at 12:56 Quote
R-M-R wrote:
seraph wrote:
ajax-ripper wrote:

Perhaps you could share your technique for those who seems to have less consistent success.

I do it the way SRAM tells you to. It never fails me. Nothing special about my bleed process.

Posted: Dec 6, 2020 at 13:04 Quote
İf there is a bleeding system that sucks, it is magura

I hate myself when i need to do a full bleed

Posted: Dec 6, 2020 at 13:08 Quote
Noeserd wrote:

Maguras are ok with the Jagwire mineral oil kit actually.

Posted: Dec 6, 2020 at 13:14 Quote
seraph wrote:
Noeserd wrote:

Maguras are ok with the Jagwire mineral oil kit actually.

Which model is it exactly? If it makes everything easier i'm into it

Posted: Dec 6, 2020 at 13:40 Quote
R-M-R wrote:
seraph wrote:
ajax-ripper wrote:

My issues are as follows:
1. The redesigned caliper requires a ball point when key to be used when tightening the caliper. A straight unit collides with the caliper and damages the paint.
2. The o ring on the syringe will wear out and can cause the caliper and the syringe to disconnect while bleeding the line resulting in DOT fluid every where.

I get that you're less prone to letting air in the system while disconnecting the syringe... But this isn't an issue for anybody who knows how to bleed a brake.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.064575
Mobile Version of Website