Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]
Posted: Jan 10, 2021 at 12:20 Quote
cyberoptixs wrote:
Noeserd wrote:
cyberoptixs wrote:
Will a crank what is 68/73 work with a PF92 BB
Jenson has some atlas cranks labeled 68/73 but I’m unsure about the spindle length

yep they are the same thing

Perfect that’s what I wanted to hear

I built a 2020 clash last year, it was pf92 and i used the boost dub eagle crank. so i think every standart size crank should be usable

Posted: Jan 10, 2021 at 12:48 Quote
Hello all,

I just got a Surly Krampus and am in the process of switching parts from my old non-boost monstercross onto this bike. I want to keep using my oldschool XTR M952 1x setup, but my mechanic mentioned that I will need a boost bottom bracket to work with my new frame.

I can't find anything online assisting this other than confusing boost schematics. Anyone have any advice or experience using older cranks on newer boost frames? A specific bb to order is what I'm looking to find out...

Thanks!

Posted: Jan 10, 2021 at 13:06 Quote
Does anyone know where I can warranty some Michelin tires? Doesn't seem to be anything on their website?

Posted: Jan 10, 2021 at 13:44 Quote
badsteve wrote:
Hello all,

I just got a Surly Krampus and am in the process of switching parts from my old non-boost monstercross onto this bike. I want to keep using my oldschool XTR M952 1x setup, but my mechanic mentioned that I will need a boost bottom bracket to work with my new frame.

I can't find anything online assisting this other than confusing boost schematics. Anyone have any advice or experience using older cranks on newer boost frames? A specific bb to order is what I'm looking to find out...

Thanks!

I've never heard of a boost bottom bracket. Boost spacing is in the rear hub and chainring offset.

Posted: Jan 10, 2021 at 14:00 Quote
hmstuna wrote:
Does anyone know where I can warranty some Michelin tires? Doesn't seem to be anything on their website?

Probably best to go through who ever you bought them from.

Posted: Jan 10, 2021 at 15:30 Quote
That seemed like a pain because I bought them from Germany. I was hoping there was a way to contact Michelin directly, preferably the U.S. branch. I'm just contacting customer service and hoping they will direct me.

Posted: Jan 10, 2021 at 15:49 Quote
hmstuna wrote:
That seemed like a pain because I bought them from Germany. I was hoping there was a way to contact Michelin directly, preferably the U.S. branch. I'm just contacting customer service and hoping they will direct me.

Phone number, clicked like twice to find it: 1-800-346-4098

Posted: Jan 10, 2021 at 15:53 Quote
Yeah I suppose I could call them, I just prefer email. I've got it now, doesn't seem like the bicycle warranty departments email is online. Thank you for your help.

Posted: Jan 10, 2021 at 22:09 Quote
seraph wrote:
badsteve wrote:
Hello all,

Thanks!

I've never heard of a boost bottom bracket. Boost spacing is in the rear hub and chainring offset.

Mechanic mentioned that the chainline would be out of wack or crank wouldn't fit properly on the frame due to the chainstays flaring out more.... Idk, I'll give it a shit with what I've got first.

Posted: Jan 10, 2021 at 22:12 Quote
If your chainring clears the crank, the chainline may actually be better with a non-Boost drivetrain.

Posted: Jan 11, 2021 at 7:55 Quote
Does an after market brake pad supplier make a metallic pad for the Shimano BR-MT400? I think someone ask about this a while back but i couldn't find the answer again in the previous posts.

TIA

Posted: Jan 11, 2021 at 9:11 Quote
Hey guys how to know when to use grease or loctite on bolts for my DH bike?

Some of the bolts has pre applied loctite- like the caliper mounting bolts, but then the caliper adapter screws into the fork with no loctite.

I also noticed similar things on my direct mount crown, some of the pinch bolts have pre applied lockdown, then the stem bolts don’t.

Is there a certain rule in where to use loctite and where not to?

Also is there certain bolts that should be greased? My worry with greasing the bolts is that it attracts dirt and possibly might not stay tight like a loctited bolt. But I also don’t want my bike all creaky.

Maybe Im splitting hairs but I just didn’t want to ask the LBS to pull out every bolt and apply loctite if needed. Would be something I can do myself and be particular about.

Posted: Jan 11, 2021 at 11:03 Quote
cyberoptixs wrote:
Will a crank what is 68/73 work with a PF92 BB
Jenson has some atlas cranks labeled 68/73 but I’m unsure about the spindle length
BB92 is the pressfit equivelent. They will work.

Posted: Jan 11, 2021 at 13:32 Quote
freestyIAM wrote:
Does an after market brake pad supplier make a metallic pad for the Shimano BR-MT400?

It's the same pad as used in many other models. (The link is to resin pads; the important detail is the compatibility list.)

DiscoBrakes has been a popular aftermarket source for ages.

Posted: Jan 11, 2021 at 13:39 Quote
Thepureface wrote:
Hey guys how to know when to use grease or loctite on bolts for my DH bike?

Every fastener should have either grease or threadlocker. There is never an advantage to dry threads.

The complication is that many torque specs are based on dry threads, it's rarely listed whether the spec is based on dry or otherwise, and the use of grease on a dry spec could lead to a very over-tightened fastener (when there's less friction between threads, more of your torque goes toward creating tension in the fastener).

You could try this strategy:

• If a fastener had threadlocker from the factory, continue to use it.
• If a fastener had grease from the factory, continue to use it.
• If a fastener was dry from the factory, use threadlocker.
• If a fastener always comes loose, even with threadlocker, you could try grease as a way to increase tension without additional torsional stress on the head, but keep a close eye on it.

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv23 0.012527
Mobile Version of Website