Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]
Posted: Jan 18, 2021 at 0:24 Quote
I've heard very good things about redline likewater. Never tried it myself though.

Posted: Jan 18, 2021 at 0:25 Quote
hmstuna wrote:
redline likewater

If you need a thin damping fluid, it's the thinnest.

Posted: Jan 18, 2021 at 0:37 Quote
mtbman1980 wrote:
Also do not put anything but the correct fluid near your brakes. Get some of the correct dot fluid and use a cue tip and rub around the pistons. Then cycle them that can help free sticky pistons.

Thanks, bought some dot 5.1 which is arriving tomorrow so will give it a good clean.

Wouldn't have thought to use any rubbing alcohol afterwards, thanks @seraph for the tip. Would white spirit work? (Don't have any rubbing lcohol to hand)

I tried the card trick, didn't completely solve the issue but will give it another go, not convinced I had it on the correct side.

Posted: Jan 18, 2021 at 5:28 Quote
R-M-R wrote:
hmstuna wrote:
redline likewater

If you need a thin damping fluid, it's the thinnest.

+1, i run this in the winter, along with its 5wt in the lowers, works nicely

Posted: Jan 18, 2021 at 12:38 Quote
Hey guys,

I am using new Shimano Deore MT6100 2 piston caliper with SM RT66 shimano rotors.

Rotors are metal compatible https://bike.shimano.com/en-EU/product/component/slx-m670/SM-RT66.html

Pad options include metal :
Pad_Option G04S Metal
Pad_Standard G03S Resin | J03A Resin

https://bike.shimano.com/en-AU/product/component/deore-m6100/BR-M6100.html

BUT caliper page remarks says : Remarks * : Only compatible with resin pad

This is just an error, right ? Thanks !

Posted: Jan 18, 2021 at 12:49 Quote
Yes they are probably only sold with resin compatible discs from the factory. The caliper doesn't really care about what pad you are running.

There are differences in the amount of heat that is transferred to the caliper depending on your brake pad material. Sintered allow more heat into the caliper and organic insulate it but tend to heat up the rotor more.

Posted: Jan 18, 2021 at 14:58 Quote
mtbman1980 wrote:
Yes they are probably only sold with resin compatible discs from the factory. The caliper doesn't really care about what pad you are running.

There are differences in the amount of heat that is transferred to the caliper depending on your brake pad material. Sintered allow more heat into the caliper and organic insulate it but tend to heat up the rotor more.

thanks man. but the rotor spec sheet says metal pads are fine

Posted: Jan 18, 2021 at 15:11 Quote
I have used metal pads on RT66 rotors. You will be fine

Posted: Jan 18, 2021 at 15:18 Quote
The RT66 is compatible with high metal content pads. The RT56 and lower models stipulate resin pads.

Posted: Jan 18, 2021 at 19:10 Quote
Just curious if anyone has had an issue with 29er rims. I had a raceface one fold underneath me today and I bought it yesterday. Manufacturing defect or 29er problems.

Posted: Jan 18, 2021 at 19:16 Quote
liam-fillinger wrote:
Just curious if anyone has had an issue with 29er rims. I had a raceface one fold underneath me today and I bought it yesterday. Manufacturing defect or 29er problems.
sounds like a bad wheel build or you're riding it way beyond what it was intended for.

Posted: Jan 18, 2021 at 19:42 Quote
liam-fillinger,

A 622 mm rim (29er) plus tire is about 5% larger than a 584 mm (27.5") and 10% larger than a 559 mm (26"). This creates more stress on the wheel, but not a huge amount more.

Most current wheels have "Boost" hub spacing, which is wider than the typical spacing on 559 mm wheel. If the hub is properly designed to take advantage of the extra width, the 622 mm wheel should be similar in strength.

As Nobble said, the problem is likely a mismatch between your equipment and your riding style or poor assembly. If properly assembled, a strong 622 mm rim with thick spokes, a high spoke count, and hubs with wide flange spacing will produce a wheel strong enough for almost any rider.

Posted: Jan 18, 2021 at 20:23 Quote
Nobble wrote:
liam-fillinger wrote:
sounds like a bad wheel build or you're riding it way beyond what it was intended for.

It was a raceface arc 30 rim which is intended for dh eebs and enduro. It was a very small hit mid trail and the rim folds underneath me causing me to go over the bar and lose 100% felling in my genital area. I was running a three cross spoke pattern, brass spoke nipples, dt swiss spokes and dt swiss 240s hubs as well as a 2.3 wide tire, setup tubeless with 42 PSI. I assume it is a manufacturing defect considering all my buddies run 29ers and beat the shit out of them with no issues. Ill see what I can get done with warranty. I know raceface has a quite good warranty

policy.https://www.raceface.ca/pages/warranty-information

Considering I rode down two and a half trails. and the rim was feeling amazing. Also to add the joint has separated on one side and there are two other massive cracks. I can attach some pictures if you would like.

Posted: Jan 18, 2021 at 20:35 Quote
It's impossible for us to say via the internet. Maybe the rim was faulty or maybe it was built with extremely low tension.

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.012548
Mobile Version of Website