Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]
Posted: Jan 20, 2021 at 8:44 Quote
michaelbozof wrote:
Hi guys,
I couldn't find any other forum to ask this question, so yeah. I'm looking to get a new fork, preferably air/compression. Do any of you know any good forks under $800?

Thanks

you are in the us, so i think rs and fox prices are similar. I would say go for a 36

Posted: Jan 20, 2021 at 9:41 Quote
dingus wrote:
Bit of a different question, what hand wash do people use for grime times? I've got a tub of the regular Swarfega gel stuff but I don't like it at all really. I had some paste stuff years ago that was good but I don't know what brand it was.
Orange goop. If you get it all on your hands and then scrub real good and wash it off with warm water and dish soap it usually does a pretty good job of getting all the crap and gunk off of your hands

Posted: Jan 20, 2021 at 10:11 Quote
michaelbozof wrote:
Hi guys,
I couldn't find any other forum to ask this question, so yeah. I'm looking to get a new fork, preferably air/compression. Do any of you know any good forks under $800?

Thanks

As newbermuda said, the Marzocchi Bomber Z1 or Z2 are great options for the price. You could also look into the Z1 coil which I think is still sub $800. Even the Rockshox Lyrik Select comes in at ~$750 and the Manitou Mezzer Expert as well.

Posted: Jan 20, 2021 at 10:59 Quote
dingus wrote:
what hand wash do people use

Gloves! Ounce of prevention vs. pound of cure.

I've tried a few "proper" shop hand washes with pumice and found better results with almost any soap or detergent in combination with a good surgical scrub brush. Dish washing detergent and a surgical scrub far outperform a pumice hand wash.

Posted: Jan 20, 2021 at 11:16 Quote
dingus wrote:
Bit of a different question, what hand wash do people use for grime times? I've got a tub of the regular Swarfega gel stuff but I don't like it at all really. I had some paste stuff years ago that was good but I don't know what brand it was.

HG Hand Cleansing Gel works great.

Posted: Jan 20, 2021 at 11:41 Quote
diamondback1x9 wrote:
dingus wrote:
Orange goop. If you get it all on your hands and then scrub real good and wash it off with warm water and dish soap it usually does a pretty good job of getting all the crap and gunk off of your hands

i use goat piss

O+
Posted: Jan 20, 2021 at 11:54 Quote
dookiehill wrote:
diamondback1x9 wrote:
dingus wrote:

i use goat piss

if you look carefully, sram manuals state that you must "bathe your hands with a fresh offering of pigs blood" after routine servicing, to appease the bike

O+
Posted: Jan 20, 2021 at 12:04 Quote
Question regarding brake adapters.

Currently I have a Trek Fuel ex 9.7 with SRAM guide t front and rear. 200mm rotor on front and 180 on rear. I purchased a set of SRAM code r from buy/sell that were brand new takeoffs from a santa cruz nomad. The seller indicated that they came with a 200mm adapter from the takeoff. I also bought a new centerline 200mm that I will swap on with the install. Should the adapter that comes with the code R be the correct one or should I be looking for a different P/N adapter?

Thanks in advance

edit: Is this as straightforward as it seems? I have a 180mm with a 20mm adapter currently. So that means I need a 40mm adapter for the 200mm rotor?

Posted: Jan 20, 2021 at 13:46 Quote
bryannn wrote:
Question regarding brake adapters.

Currently I have a Trek Fuel ex 9.7 with SRAM guide t front and rear. 200mm rotor on front and 180 on rear. I purchased a set of SRAM code r from buy/sell that were brand new takeoffs from a santa cruz nomad. The seller indicated that they came with a 200mm adapter from the takeoff. I also bought a new centerline 200mm that I will swap on with the install. Should the adapter that comes with the code R be the correct one or should I be looking for a different P/N adapter?

Thanks in advance

edit: Is this as straightforward as it seems? I have a 180mm with a 20mm adapter currently. So that means I need a 40mm adapter for the 200mm rotor?
It's exactly as straight forward as it seems.

Posted: Jan 20, 2021 at 14:20 Quote
R-M-R wrote:
dingus wrote:

Gloves! Once of prevention vs. pound of cure.

I've tried a few "proper" shop hand washes with pumice and found better results with almost any soap or detergent in combination with a good surgical scrub brush. Dish washing detergent and a surgical scrub far outperform a pumice hand wash.

Yeah, normally gloved up, just the odd occasion that I'm not sometimes end up messier than expected.

Posted: Jan 20, 2021 at 14:29 Quote
R-M-R wrote:
dingus wrote:

Gloves! Once of prevention vs. pound of cure.

dang....you beat me to that one Wink

dishsoap on greasy hands first...no water yet. Work it in, scrub nails with brush, then add water, finish the job off, then rinse

40 years of working on cars, bikes, motorcycles, whatever.... and it comes down to Dawn... Rolleyes

hey...if it works on ducks. Wink

Posted: Jan 20, 2021 at 14:37 Quote
The surgical scrub was the last piece of the puzzle for me. The cheap, ubiquitous "nail brushes" are less effective and more uncomfortable. This sort has worked far better for me:

photo

Posted: Jan 20, 2021 at 16:25 Quote
YT B KE

Hello friends, I want to consult you something. Thank you in advance for your answers.

I wonder if the bowl we attach to the headtube or if I explain as follows, is there a possibility that the headtube is Licking or the nest may be broken?

In short, even if it is inserted incorrectly, can the socket break?(licking could be?)

Posted: Jan 20, 2021 at 17:35 Quote
OK. Just picked up my first bike and something seems a little off. The front wheel is not centered in the front tubes.One side of the axle (?) is out farther than the other. Is this common or is it something needing adjusted? Thanks

Posted: Jan 20, 2021 at 17:48 Quote
tag1260,

Photos will be helpful. Upload several to your profile and we'll have a look.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.030960
Mobile Version of Website