Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]
Posted: Jan 18, 2021 at 21:14 Quote
liam-fillinger wrote:
Nobble wrote:
liam-fillinger wrote:
Just curious if anyone has had an issue with 29er rims. I had a raceface one fold underneath me today and I bought it yesterday. Manufacturing defect or 29er problems.
sounds like a bad wheel build or you're riding it way beyond what it was intended for.

It was a raceface arc 30 rim which is intended for dh eebs and enduro. It was a very small hit mid trail and the rim folds underneath me causing me to go over the bar and lose 100% felling in my genital area. I was running a three cross spoke pattern, brass spoke nipples, dt swiss spokes and dt swiss 240s hubs as well as a 2.3 wide tire, setup tubeless with 42 PSI. I assume it is a manufacturing defect considering all my buddies run 29ers and beat the shit out of them with no issues. Ill see what I can get done with warranty. I know raceface has a quite good warranty

policy.https://www.raceface.ca/pages/warranty-information

Considering I rode down two and a half trails. and the rim was feeling amazing. Also to add the joint has separated on one side and there are two other massive cracks. I can attach some pictures if you would like.

Just for the record the arc isn't a dh rim...you would want the arc HD... Arc as enduro rim is at the top end of its intended usage... You might be able to get something... Keep us posted!

Posted: Jan 18, 2021 at 21:50 Quote
Unrelated. But what is the reason that you are running 42 psi? That is crazy high.

Posted: Jan 18, 2021 at 21:55 Quote
Since we're still on the subject of liam-fillinger's wheels:

liam-fillinger, ask your wheel builder what tension or what tensiometer reading was used. If the answer is "I don't know" or "I don't use a tensiometer", find a different builder.

Posted: Jan 18, 2021 at 23:04 Quote
R-M-R wrote:

liam-fillinger, ask your wheel builder what tension or what tensiometer reading was used. If the answer is "I don't know" or "I don't use a tensiometer", find a different builder.

The builder of my wheels is a local mechanic. He builds all my wheels and gets them done right and promptly. He puts the tension around 120KGF so it's stiff and strong with a little bit of flex still. He has built all my wheels and I have never had a problem. I believe the rim is faulty because I have had the same one on my rear for about 5 months of riding and whistler tech and jumps with no problems. I run 42 psi because it gives me a really good feel on the trail and it's just personal preference since I don't like a lot of tire fold. I will attach some pictures in the morning. If I can get a warranty I might pay the extra 12.94$ for the HD version.

Posted: Jan 18, 2021 at 23:08 Quote
falkyn wrote:
liam-fillinger wrote:
Nobble wrote:
sounds like a bad wheel build or you're riding it way beyond what it was intended for.

It was a raceface arc 30 rim which is intended for dh eebs and enduro. It was a very small hit mid trail and the rim folds underneath me causing me to go over the bar and lose 100% felling in my genital area. I was running a three cross spoke pattern, brass spoke nipples, dt swiss spokes and dt swiss 240s hubs as well as a 2.3 wide tire, setup tubeless with 42 PSI. I assume it is a manufacturing defect considering all my buddies run 29ers and beat the shit out of them with no issues. Ill see what I can get done with warranty. I know raceface has a quite good warranty

policy.https://www.raceface.ca/pages/warranty-information

Considering I rode down two and a half trails. and the rim was feeling amazing. Also to add the joint has separated on
one side and there are two other massive cracks. I can attach some pictures if you would like.

Just for the record the arc isn't a dh rim...you would want the arc HD... Arc as enduro rim is at the top end of its intended usage... You might be able to get something... Keep us posted!

As you can see raceface deems the arc as an all around rim.
https://www.raceface.ca/products/arc-offset-rim

Posted: Jan 18, 2021 at 23:13 Quote
liam-fillinger wrote:
As you can see raceface deems the arc as an all around rim.
https://www.raceface.ca/products/arc-offset-rim

There appears to be an error in that bar chart, as the ARC and ARC HD both show max'ed out bars in all categories.

Posted: Jan 18, 2021 at 23:26 Quote
liam-fillinger wrote:
Just curious if anyone has had an issue with 29er rims. I had a raceface one fold underneath me today and I bought it yesterday. Manufacturing defect or 29er problems.

The fact the the fastest hardest hitting riders on Earth (EWS and WCDH) are almost across the board on 29 now should tell you that they're plenty strong by design. Something else went drastically wrong. Either with the build or a manufacturer defect. Sounds like a bummer of a day. Hope you're not too bashed up.

Posted: Jan 19, 2021 at 0:50 Quote
liam-fillinger wrote:
R-M-R wrote:

The builder of my wheels is a local mechanic. He builds all my wheels and gets them done right and promptly. He puts the tension around 120KGF so it's stiff and strong with a little bit of flex still. He has built all my wheels and I have never had a problem. I believe the rim is faulty because I have had the same one on my rear for about 5 months of riding and whistler tech and jumps with no problems. I run 42 psi because it gives me a really good feel on the trail and it's just personal preference since I don't like a lot of tire fold. I will attach some pictures in the morning. If I can get a warranty I might pay the extra 12.94$ for the HD version.

Your tire pressure is almost the same as my front + back pressure combined Eek

Posted: Jan 19, 2021 at 2:32 Quote
liam-fillinger wrote:
R-M-R wrote:

Which side did the builder do up to 120kgf?
42psi is waaay too high
Even a weak or damaged rim built well shouldn't catastrophically fail under a small hit mid trail. It's so hard to tell without seeing the wheel, but my immediate gut reaction is that quick a failure is down to a sideways landing or a bad build.

Posted: Jan 19, 2021 at 3:56 Quote
Got a slight problem with a GX shifter, when you push the thumb shifter as far as it will go it gets stuck and doesn't return. It only takes a slight push in the opposite direction to free it up again. Anyone got a fix for this? Had a wee peek inside and it looks pretty clean and greasy.

Posted: Jan 19, 2021 at 4:22 Quote
I once had that happen when the shifter was too close to the brake and once when a shift paddle was bent. Check for those issues before trying anything more involved.

Posted: Jan 19, 2021 at 4:29 Quote
Meant to say it's removed from the bike and there's no cable fitted.

Posted: Jan 19, 2021 at 4:35 Quote
Clearly not the brake lever, then. Do check for a bent paddle or debris before taking it apart.

Posted: Jan 19, 2021 at 8:08 Quote
I got a sorta new SLX 12 speed shifter and when I go to shift to an easier gear, I get this dead feeling in the lever every now and again where the paddle goes through its "travel" and doesn't have any resistance and won't shift. Any ideas on how to fix this?

Posted: Jan 19, 2021 at 8:11 Quote
R-M-R wrote:
Clearly not the brake lever, then. Do check for a bent paddle or debris before taking it apart.

I had an older sram shifter and had this problem it was bent ever so slighty but would stick on the other trigger.

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.012555
Mobile Version of Website