Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]
Posted: Jan 21, 2021 at 12:06 Quote
ajax-ripper wrote:
Gorilla tape, if you don't retape often and can deal with residue when the time comes

It's not widely available locally and too overpriced
https://www.amazon.com.tr/Gorilla-Tape-yap%C4%B1%C5%9Fkanl%C4%B1-Handyrole-3044401/dp/B001E5ZWT4

32 bucks...

Posted: Jan 21, 2021 at 12:07 Quote
dookiehill wrote:
diamondback1x9 wrote:
dingus wrote:
Bit of a different question, what hand wash do people use for grime times? I've got a tub of the regular Swarfega gel stuff but I don't like it at all really. I had some paste stuff years ago that was good but I don't know what brand it was.
Orange goop. If you get it all on your hands and then scrub real good and wash it off with warm water and dish soap it usually does a pretty good job of getting all the crap and gunk off of your hands

i use goat piss

ah a man of culture

Posted: Jan 21, 2021 at 12:10 Quote
tag1260 wrote:
OK. Just picked up my first bike and something seems a little off. The front wheel is not centered in the front tubes.One side of the axle (?) is out farther than the other. Is this common or is it something needing adjusted? Thanks

If it is the type of axle that you secure by tightening on nuts on each end of the axle, then the axle might need to be adjusted, but it sounds like you're having a different problem, can you flip the bike over and take a picture?

Posted: Jan 21, 2021 at 12:51 Quote
Crankset question, I'm looking at building up a Spartan which has Superboost. I have a non boost XT crank, is there any way to make the two work together, or should I factor in the cost of a new crank?

Posted: Jan 21, 2021 at 12:56 Quote
dirtnapped wrote:
Crankset question, I'm looking at building up a Spartan which has Superboost. I have a non boost XT crank, is there any way to make the two work together, or should I factor in the cost of a new crank?

m8000 or m8100, on m8000 the spider changes with boost or non boost model and uses same chainring. Maybe its possible if you buy a boost chainring from 3rd party brand like wolftooth for the boost crank. On m8100 the spindle lenght changes if i remember correctly

Posted: Jan 21, 2021 at 13:01 Quote
Noeserd wrote:
dirtnapped wrote:

m8000 or m8100, on m8000 the spider changes with boost or non boost model and uses same chainring. Maybe its possible if you buy a boost chainring from 3rd party brand like wolftooth for the boost crank. On m8100 the spindle lenght changes if i remember correctly

I have the m8000. Sounds like a new crank is needed then?

Posted: Jan 21, 2021 at 13:06 Quote
dirtnapped wrote:
Noeserd wrote:
dirtnapped wrote:

yeah, i was in the same way for boost, i changed the crank for the price of boost chainring and sold the old one

Posted: Jan 21, 2021 at 13:10 Quote
Noeserd wrote:
dirtnapped wrote:
Noeserd wrote:

yeah, i was in the same way for boost, i changed the crank for the price of boost chainring and sold the old one

Good to know. I appreciate it!

Posted: Jan 21, 2021 at 13:13 Quote
Alright, guys - How do I tell if carbon is cracked without looking at it? I dropped my road bike the other day on the carbon bar and my lazy ass don't feel like peeling all the tape off to look at it so I was wondering if there was like a flex test or sum that I could do to try and figure it out.

Honestly as I'm writing this ill prolly just take the tape off. If anyone has any suggestions that would be really great.

TANKS

Posted: Jan 21, 2021 at 13:22 Quote
Anyone know the torque spec on a santa cruz carbon handlebar? can't seem to find it on the interwebs

Posted: Jan 21, 2021 at 13:42 Quote
newbermuda wrote:
Anyone know the torque spec on a santa cruz carbon handlebar? can't seem to find it on the interwebs

I usually go by the stem torque rating.

Posted: Jan 21, 2021 at 14:28 Quote
dirtnapped wrote:
if you can snag a cheap raceface crank, you can just flip the direct mount chainring over.

Posted: Jan 21, 2021 at 14:31 Quote
Nobble wrote:
dirtnapped wrote:
if you can snag a cheap raceface crank, you can just flip the direct mount chainring over.

Now that's rad. Thanks!

Posted: Jan 21, 2021 at 14:46 Quote
dookiehill wrote:
Alright, guys - How do I tell if carbon is cracked without looking at it? I dropped my road bike the other day on the carbon bar and my lazy ass don't feel like peeling all the tape off to look at it so I was wondering if there was like a flex test or sum that I could do to try and figure it out.

Honestly as I'm writing this ill prolly just take the tape off. If anyone has any suggestions that would be really great.

TANKS

From my understanding, the only (obvious) way to tell in this scenario would be an x-ray (if you want to keep the bartape on). Keep in mind I'm not an expert on this, I'd wait a bit longer for others who deal with this more regularly to weigh in.

Posted: Jan 21, 2021 at 16:37 Quote
Didn't get pics but met a local bike mechanic and he found bearing/spacer issues. Easy fix and I'm good for now. I guess it's one of those things you get into when you buy a used bike and don't know what all to look at. Live and learn. Fortunately nothing expensive or serious. Don't think the seller knew as the bike hasn't been ridden much.

Thanks to everyone who offered to help!!! I will be needing you again I just know.

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.012555
Mobile Version of Website