Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]
Posted: Jan 23, 2021 at 11:34 Quote
watch123 wrote:
seraph wrote:
LK14 wrote:
Hello im 14 and i work on bikes alot but i have a question about different components so that i dont buy something that wont fit. My question is, will Hope Fortus Rear Wheel (link below) fit on a Kona Kahuna 29" frame. Your advise would help a ton. thanks Smile

Looks like the Fortus wheel is available in 142, 148, and 150mm rear axle spacings. Fitment will depend on what year your Kahuna is.

Looks like the Kahuna frame comes with a 135mm axle spacing, so I don't think it will. But as said above, what's the year of the frame?

142 can be converted to 135

Posted: Jan 23, 2021 at 11:39 Quote
watch123 wrote:
seraph wrote:
LK14 wrote:
Hello im 14 and i work on bikes alot but i have a question about different components so that i dont buy something that wont fit. My question is, will Hope Fortus Rear Wheel (link below) fit on a Kona Kahuna 29" frame. Your advise would help a ton. thanks Smile

Looks like the Fortus wheel is available in 142, 148, and 150mm rear axle spacings. Fitment will depend on what year your Kahuna is.

Looks like the Kahuna frame comes with a 135mm axle spacing, so I don't think it will. But as said above, what's the year of the frame?

hope makes a adapter for 142to135

Posted: Jan 23, 2021 at 12:25 Quote
I stand corrected, thanks all for jumping in and pointing this out!

Posted: Jan 23, 2021 at 14:07 Quote
Off topic, but does anyone know anything about KMX 125s? I need to rebuild my rear shock but cant find any ifp/oil weight specs. Whenever I ask in motorbike forums i get a lot of egos and basically no knowledge whatsoever.People saying shit like "theres no point mate, just buy a shock of a 2004 husky and fit that, they're only £700"
I know its a shit shock, but I wanna rebuild it cos it needs doing and I'm bored as shit with this lockdown. It's a 1998 shock with no piggyback which is a pain in the ass. If it had a piggyback I'd have it apart and sorted in 30 mins.

As it's not got a piggyback, I just need to know if the ifp is captive behind a circlip or if the things gonna blow up in my face if I undo the sealhead. Then I need to know what oil and ifp pressure to put back in. Anyone know any info, or a good place for me to look? It's not in the Haynes manual.

O+
Posted: Jan 23, 2021 at 16:29 Quote
LK14 wrote:

Check your hub spacing, axle standard and hub driver body and work your way from there.

O+
Posted: Jan 23, 2021 at 16:41 Quote
gabriel-mission9 wrote:
Off topic, but does anyone know anything about KMX 125s? I need to rebuild my rear shock but cant find any ifp/oil weight specs. Whenever I ask in motorbike forums i get a lot of egos and basically no knowledge whatsoever.People saying shit like "theres no point mate, just buy a shock of a 2004 husky and fit that, they're only £700"
I know its a shit shock, but I wanna rebuild it cos it needs doing and I'm bored as shit with this lockdown. It's a 1998 shock with no piggyback which is a pain in the ass. If it had a piggyback I'd have it apart and sorted in 30 mins.

As it's not got a piggyback, I just need to know if the ifp is captive behind a circlip or if the things gonna blow up in my face if I undo the sealhead. Then I need to know what oil and ifp pressure to put back in. Anyone know any info, or a good place for me to look? It's not in the Haynes manual.

I would call or email Procircuit and ask the suspension techs there. That doesn’t seem like it’s a stock shock though if it doesn’t have a piggyback or remote reservoir . I used to have a 92 KX125 and it had a piggyback rear shock..

https://www.procircuit.com/suspension.html

Posted: Jan 23, 2021 at 20:57 Quote
Hi,
so I just got a brand new 2021 36 factory fit4 and I noticed that there is a significant amount of play in the 3 position adjustment knob, I will link a video of it. Is it normal or is it a defect?
thanks

https://youtu.be/IoZ_qjhKEYc

O+
Posted: Jan 23, 2021 at 21:24 Quote
Gabrochefort wrote:
Hi,
so I just got a brand new 2021 36 factory fit4 and I noticed that there is a significant amount of play in the 3 position adjustment knob, I will link a video of it. Is it normal or is it a defect?
thanks

https://youtu.be/IoZ_qjhKEYc

That's normal. Unless it's so loose it is rattling when riding.

Easy to remove the bolt and pull it allout to check it out.

Posted: Jan 23, 2021 at 21:36 Quote
When removing the dials, ensure you don't lose the tiny bearing.
photo

O+
Posted: Jan 23, 2021 at 22:26 Quote
Anyone here go two cross on the front wheel?

Posted: Jan 23, 2021 at 22:34 Quote
rahrider wrote:

The larger the flange, the less of a concern.

If you want to get fancy, you can go 3X on the disc side and whatever you like on the right side, or you could go 2X on the disc side and 3X on the right side to transfer a little of the braking torque to the right side.

Posted: Jan 23, 2021 at 22:35 Quote
rahrider wrote:

I build 2x front and rear.

Posted: Jan 23, 2021 at 22:40 Quote
Possibly a contributing factor in our debate over aluminum vs. brass nipples! Geek

Posted: Jan 24, 2021 at 3:52 Quote
Can anyone help me identify the model of this Kona Kahuna?

https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2558396/

This would be extremely helpful so I know what size rear hub i need. Thank you. (:

Posted: Jan 24, 2021 at 4:40 Quote
rahrider wrote:

Why though? 3x is better.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.025280
Mobile Version of Website