Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]
Posted: Jan 21, 2021 at 18:07 Quote
bishopsmike wrote:
XStapse wrote:
YT B KE

Hello friends, I want to consult you something. Thank you in advance for your answers.

I wonder if the bowl we attach to the headtube or if I explain as follows, is there a possibility that the headtube is Licking or the nest may be broken?

In short, even if it is inserted incorrectly, can the socket break?(licking could be?)

I really want to answer this, but not sure if your question is about an inproperly seated headset cup, or something with the bearings or race... but I feel like whatever the issue is, you have the right tools in that room behind you!

Headset I change it,and unfortunately without tools I change it,and there were peeling in the headtub paint Peeling,You know giant dowhill bikes have bad paint,can nest licking could it be ? Because I don't think the headtube will be a solid spot licking

Posted: Jan 21, 2021 at 19:21 Quote
seraph wrote:
Stan's is the best IMO. Been using it for as long as its been around.

Yeah, decided not trying anything else since they are flawless

Posted: Jan 21, 2021 at 19:34 Quote
I am happy with stans on my bike but had to do the front wheel in gorilla tape after I damaged it on a Sunday putting a new tire on.

The original tape stayed on for 4 years and multiple tires.

Posted: Jan 22, 2021 at 4:21 Quote
Hi! My company is doing a study that needs bike mechanics! It's been a struggle doing outreach during lockdown, but if you're interested we're paying each participant a 10 dollar/pound amazon gift card! Here's the google form if you want to sign up ???? https://forms.gle/q9KewufdbJCUUoPv5 also feel free to message me and we can chat too about it if you'd like!

Posted: Jan 22, 2021 at 6:29 Quote
annacaptur wrote:
Hi! My company is doing a study that needs bike mechanics! It's been a struggle doing outreach during lockdown, but if you're interested we're paying each participant a 10 dollar/pound amazon gift card! Here's the google form if you want to sign up ???? https://forms.gle/q9KewufdbJCUUoPv5 also feel free to message me and we can chat too about it if you'd like!

Need more info before clicking links.... Whats it about?

Posted: Jan 22, 2021 at 7:46 Quote
ajax-ripper wrote:
Gorilla tape, if you don't retape often and can deal with residue when the time comes

There is a hack you can do to make sure there isn't any residue. Put some electrical tape down and stretch it so it's thin and covers the whole rim. Then put the gorilla tape on. When it needs replacing. No mess.

Posted: Jan 22, 2021 at 9:24 Quote
gabriel-mission9 wrote:
annacaptur wrote:

Need more info before clicking links.... Whats it about?

Yeah it seems a little sus - can I get some more info?

Posted: Jan 22, 2021 at 10:28 Quote
liam-fillinger wrote:
ajax-ripper wrote:
Gorilla tape, if you don't retape often and can deal with residue when the time comes

There is a hack you can do to make sure there isn't any residue. Put some electrical tape down and stretch it so it's thin and covers the whole rim. Then put the gorilla tape on. When it needs replacing. No mess.

Yeah, but then the adhesion to the rim isn’t great, electrical tape isn’t nearly as sticky as Gorilla.

Posted: Jan 22, 2021 at 10:34 Quote
There's a thread on MTBR with 736 posts (and counting, I'm sure) about rim tapes.

There's no such thing as a dedicated rim tape, they're all just off-the-shelf tapes for other purposes that product managers have found to work well and are selling as rim tape ... at many times the price, but they've done the research for us and it's not a huge expense, so we live with it. Most of us, at any rate. The MTBR folks have experimented with seemingly every tape in the world and the results are there for the reading.

Posted: Jan 22, 2021 at 11:09 Quote
Does anyone know if you can remove a press fit bb with a headset remover?

Posted: Jan 22, 2021 at 14:21 Quote
dookiehill wrote:

Yeah it seems a little sus - can I get some more info?

I wouldn't click that link if you paid me - oh wait...

Posted: Jan 22, 2021 at 14:55 Quote
rahrider wrote:

provided you splay the headset cup removers fins so they either engage the outer or inner race lip and not the seal's face, i think it could work but I've never tried.

Posted: Jan 22, 2021 at 14:58 Quote
rahrider wrote:

I'm sure you could if you're careful and methodical. The diameters of the two tools are quite different.

You must keep in mind that most press fit bb shells are plastic or fiber reinforced plastic. So, they will be easily damaged. Just go slow and be careful.

Your best bet would be to have four or five spots around the circumference of the bb shell where the tool is interacting with the shell. Tap lightly, and move to the next spot and tap. Move around the circle several times, tapping lightly. Slowly the bb should work itself out. Don't try to force it or smash it hard with your 5lb hammer. Light taps.

Another thing to keep in mind is that there will be a plastic spacer/dust cover with a ridge on it, and then a bearing with it's own ridge and if you're tooling on either if these you'll knock them out of the bb shell and the shell will stay stuck in the frame. Not that it's a huge deal but its another thing to keep an eye on. If you knock out the spacer/dust cover it can kinda be a p.i.t.a. to reinstall ESPECIALLY if you've mashed it up with your tool. Just make sure your strikes actually hit the shell and not the spacer or bearing.

Posted: Jan 23, 2021 at 10:15 Quote
Hello im 14 and i work on bikes alot but i have a question about different components so that i dont buy something that wont fit. My question is, will Hope Fortus Rear Wheel (link below) fit on a Kona Kahuna 29" frame. Your advise would help a ton. thanks Smile

Posted: Jan 23, 2021 at 10:24 Quote
LK14 wrote:
Hello im 14 and i work on bikes alot but i have a question about different components so that i dont buy something that wont fit. My question is, will Hope Fortus Rear Wheel (link below) fit on a Kona Kahuna 29" frame. Your advise would help a ton. thanks Smile

Looks like the Fortus wheel is available in 142, 148, and 150mm rear axle spacings. Fitment will depend on what year your Kahuna is.

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.015915
Mobile Version of Website