Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]
Posted: Jan 26, 2021 at 18:53 Quote
From the photo I would say cracked frame

Posted: Jan 26, 2021 at 19:31 Quote
XStapse wrote:
Hi Guys The will have a question, what is the cause of the paint crack?
. (Photo is for attention!!!!)

A frame crack.

Posted: Jan 26, 2021 at 19:37 Quote
XStapse wrote:

The best thing for you to do right now is take it to a bike shop and have then check it out. Theres also a couple of home tests you can do to help see if its cracked.

1. Take a coin, house key, screwdriver - anything metal. Tap it all around the frame in multitudes of varying areas. You should hear a very distinct *ting* or *ping* (do not smash it into the frame, not even hard enough to cause any kind of paint blemish, just going along lightly tapping). Next, do the same test around the possible cracks and if you hear anything other than the *ping* noise from earlier (a dull thud, a squishy sound, an empty hollow sound) you know you have a crack or break.

2. With your thumb apply some pressure to the area. If theres any kind of unexpected flex or squish to the area then its broken.

Posted: Jan 26, 2021 at 21:02 Quote
Can I put M8100 XT levers on zee calipers

Posted: Jan 26, 2021 at 22:55 Quote
cyberoptixs wrote:
Can I put M8100 XT levers on zee calipers

Yes

Posted: Jan 27, 2021 at 3:58 Quote
Trudeez wrote:
XStapse wrote:

The best thing for you to do right now is take it to a bike shop and have then check it out. Theres also a couple of home tests you can do to help see if its cracked.

1. Take a coin, house key, screwdriver - anything metal. Tap it all around the frame in multitudes of varying areas. You should hear a very distinct *ting* or *ping* (do not smash it into the frame, not even hard enough to cause any kind of paint blemish, just going along lightly tapping). Next, do the same test around the possible cracks and if you hear anything other than the *ping* noise from earlier (a dull thud, a squishy sound, an empty hollow sound) you know you have a crack or break.

2. With your thumb apply some pressure to the area. If theres any kind of unexpected flex or squish to the area then its broken.

What is the cause of these cracks

Posted: Jan 27, 2021 at 5:50 Quote
XStapse wrote:

What is the cause of these cracks

Really? People just told you. It's quite likely your frame is cracked, which is why you see cracks. Can't tell for sure from a photo.

Why did your frame crack? Well you'd need to be the one providing that info.

Posted: Jan 27, 2021 at 5:56 Quote
I find The seat tube gusset and top tube intersection to be an odd place for a crack to form.

Posted: Jan 27, 2021 at 13:55 Quote
whats the difference between the code rsc and the g2 rsc
thinking of getting off shimano brakes been on my zees for 4 years and want to try something different

Posted: Jan 27, 2021 at 14:03 Quote
cyberoptixs wrote:
thinking of getting off shimano brakes been on my zees for 4 years and want to try something different
Code has larger pistons and a bigger reservoir.

Posted: Jan 27, 2021 at 14:07 Quote
ajax-ripper wrote:
cyberoptixs wrote:

are they worth the money?

Posted: Jan 27, 2021 at 15:33 Quote
Price difference is worth it but Shigura might be a cool option too

Posted: Jan 27, 2021 at 18:30 Quote
cyberoptixs wrote:
ajax-ripper wrote:
cyberoptixs wrote:

are they worth the money?

My $0.02. I ditched Saint brakes in favor of codes and regretted every second of it. I will absolutely confess that the modulation of codes is way better than Shimano. Beyond that I didn't care for codes at all. Not as strong as Saint. Bulkier/heavier lever feel. Levers get sticky and squishy when hot. Now, I know there are some issues with shimano, most notably the pump up or wandering lever point. But for me the shimanos were the better brakes hands down.

I know there will be plenty of people who will argue the opposite and that's fine. We're all entitled to our own opinions. My suggestion would be to find a bike shop that has a demo rig equipped with the Codes and see if they're right for you.

Also, fwiw, I bought a set of Hayes Dominion A4 brakes and went back to the shop the next day to order two more sets for all my bikes. Hands down the best I've ever used (shimano, sram, hope, magura, hayes and TRP on a demo bike). Absolutely incredible lever feel, strong and less expensive than codes.

Posted: Jan 27, 2021 at 18:36 Quote
I was going to tape my rims today and the tape is not sticking. It is muc off tape fwiw. I blew off the rims before i attempted to tape them but the tape just came right off. Didn't even try to stick... any tips?

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.013691
Mobile Version of Website