Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]
Posted: Jan 30, 2021 at 13:18 Quote
I don’t think HG+ rings play nicely with other chains, even if it’s all 12speed.

Posted: Jan 30, 2021 at 13:30 Quote
The Shimano one was 10spd, but yeah, didn't like the SRAM chain. I've got the same shimano ring on my bike with a KMC chain and it's been fine.

Posted: Jan 30, 2021 at 15:08 Quote
I have a question. I’ve installed a Works angle set on my 19 jeffsy carbon and I’m having issues with just barely putting any preload with the top cap the steerer just gets way to stiff. Also my steering is very weird feeling. If those cups aren’t aligned 100% then does it affect the handling? What could I possibly be doing wrong?

O+
Posted: Jan 30, 2021 at 17:06 Quote
gnarcissistictendency wrote:
I have a question. I’ve installed a Works angle set on my 19 jeffsy carbon and I’m having issues with just barely putting any preload with the top cap the steerer just gets way to stiff. Also my steering is very weird feeling. If those cups aren’t aligned 100% then does it affect the handling? What could I possibly be doing wrong?

i had mine way out of alignment for a month, no problems like that except it made kind of a weird noise occasionally until i corrected it

Posted: Jan 30, 2021 at 18:28 Quote
It all depends how they're out of alignment. If they're both off in the same direction then your front wheel would be off center which could explain you steering issue. I've seen people mention that when you start pressing in the cups that sometimes they will rotate.

Posted: Jan 30, 2021 at 18:39 Quote
DJ-24 wrote:
It all depends how they're out of alignment. If they're both off in the same direction then your front wheel would be off center which could explain you steering issue. I've seen people mention that when you start pressing in the cups that sometimes they will rotate.

Yes I think that’s what is happening to mine. I was using makeshift tools which didn’t help matters. I’m going to just order a headset press and try this experiment again later when proper tools arrive. I really want this to work tho.

Posted: Jan 30, 2021 at 20:40 Quote
Chainring...

I'm getting older (50) and could really use some help with climbing...I have a 30T chainring and was wondering if it makes sense to go to 28T or even even 26T. I don't race and I'd like to be able to climb some local trails (black diamond level) with these old legs. not considering ebike, too expensive.

I'd like some input from fellow riders. pros and cons.

Thank you everyone.

O+
Posted: Jan 30, 2021 at 20:48 Quote
If you aren’t spinning out in your current setup no issues with dropping down to a 28.

Posted: Jan 30, 2021 at 21:38 Quote
Run whatever feels good to you! There's no virtue in forcing yourself to ride a chainring that's more pain than gain. Availability is scarce below 28T, but they exist.

Most people seem to approach the ratio selection by finding the tallest low ratio they can (maybe) manage, often leaving them with a few high ratios that are rarely used. I think it's better to find the lowest top ratio you can live with, which may result in some extremely low ratios. You'll never use a too-large top ratio, but you'll always find a use for a super low bottom ratio when you would otherwise be walking or catching your breath!

I run a 28T chainring (9-46 cassette) and a friend runs a 24T chainring (10-42 cassette). He needed the low end and isn't bothered by the lack of high end. I still have a tall top end with the 9T sprocket and the 28/46 is a big relief on tough climbs.

Posted: Jan 30, 2021 at 22:57 Quote
Got an old 2011 Fox 40. Ridefox says I need spring p/n 039-05-074. I can only find p/n 039-05-134.

Is there a difference between the two, or will a new 039-05-134 fox 40 spring fit in my ancient 40's?

Posted: Jan 31, 2021 at 0:13 Quote
If Sam Hill runs a 30/50, all arguments for “small chainrings mean you’re not fit” are made a bit redundant. Epecially as there’s so little use for that 10t cog on the trail anyway.

Posted: Jan 31, 2021 at 4:33 Quote
JBW450 wrote:
Got an old 2011 Fox 40. Ridefox says I need spring p/n 039-05-074. I can only find p/n 039-05-134.

Is there a difference between the two, or will a new 039-05-134 fox 40 spring fit in my ancient 40's?

Given that the springrate is the same for both, this would suggest that there is some physical size difference. I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess it's overall length is different.

Best thing I can suggest is contact whoever is selling the one you have found and ask for some measurements to compare to what you currently have. Most places will be happy to oblige, as they are likely keen to get rid of such old stock.

O+
Posted: Jan 31, 2021 at 5:41 Quote
kapuyawn wrote:
Chainring...

I'm getting older (50) and could really use some help with climbing...I have a 30T chainring and was wondering if it makes sense to go to 28T or even even 26T.

Just make sure your crankset will accept it. The old standard 104 BCD will only go down to 30T. If that's the case, you can look at a rear cassette with a larger range (up to 52 teeth), but that won't make as big a difference as a 2-teeth smaller front ring, and might require a longer chain too.

Posted: Jan 31, 2021 at 6:10 Quote
gnarcissistictendency wrote:

There's a centre point mark on the headset cups, check if aligned with the headtube centre. Check that you fitted all the parts in the correct order and make sure the compression ring is sitting flat on top cup bearing, sometimes they get pinched onesided and cause all sort of troubles. Due to the angled nature of the angle sets it's easy to pinch or be slightly off when fitted, some headsets use a thin washer between the compression ring and the dust ring, make sure you fitted the thin washer or the dust ring will push on the bearing cup causing a stiff steering feel.

Posted: Jan 31, 2021 at 9:53 Quote
Good to know, thanks

bishopsmike wrote:
kapuyawn wrote:
Chainring...

I'm getting older (50) and could really use some help with climbing...I have a 30T chainring and was wondering if it makes sense to go to 28T or even even 26T.

Just make sure your crankset will accept it. The old standard 104 BCD will only go down to 30T. If that's the case, you can look at a rear cassette with a larger range (up to 52 teeth), but that won't make as big a difference as a 2-teeth smaller front ring, and might require a longer chain too.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.025908
Mobile Version of Website