Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]
Posted: Jan 29, 2021 at 10:14 Quote
newbermuda wrote:
I've had the same front tire (2.5 vigilante light/high grip) for about 10 months/1500 miles. Is that long enough to warrant a new one?

It's all about how much of a degradation in traction you're willing to accept. Traction is diminished the moment the crisp edges of the lugs begin to round off, which happens after only a few days of riding. It's a "boiling frog" situation and we never realize how bad the traction has become until we replace the tire. For example, I noticed I was struggling with traction and barely keeping ahead of riders I normally easily outpace. Replaced the tire and was immediately back up to pace.

1500 miles is usually more than enough to do in a soft compound tire.

Posted: Jan 29, 2021 at 10:14 Quote
wellbastardfast wrote:
Question

Simce Shimano 12 speed quick links cost £345,000 anyone tried to mix and match them ie a kmc 12 speed quick link or sram eagle

Been running KMC quick links in any shimano chains I run (KMCmake shimano's chains anyway) due to shimano's link pins being a shit idea

Posted: Jan 29, 2021 at 10:19 Quote
fuzzydunlop wrote:
Possibly a daft question but I think it's possible

I've just bought the new status and want to switch it up, it's currently has a SRAM dub boost crankset and a 11-50t cassette. I only need 10 speed so as long as I space it correctly can I run a mix of Saint/Zee 1x10?

Not sure exactly what your question is. If you want to run saint/zee shifting/cassette with dub cranks-this will be fine but you will probably need a new freehub though.

Other than that you will need to be more specific about what you want to do.

Posted: Jan 29, 2021 at 10:25 Quote
mtbman1980 wrote:
fuzzydunlop wrote:

I've just bought the new status and want to switch it up, it's currently has a SRAM dub boost crankset and a 11-50t cassette. I only need 10 speed so as long as I space it correctly can I run a mix of Saint/Zee 1x10?

Not sure exactly what your question is. If you want to run saint/zee shifting/cassette with dub cranks-this will be fine but you will probably need a new freehub though.

Other than that you will need to be more specific about what you want to do.

İsn't nx cassette uses hg freehub?

It should be fine but you will need a new bb if you want to run shimano cranks

Posted: Jan 29, 2021 at 10:35 Quote
wellbastardfast wrote:
fuzzydunlop wrote:

No mate sram dub has 28.99 bottom bracket shimano stuff is generally 24mm you will need a new BB. Just live it as is bud

I'd change the BB, you get one in the box with Saint/Zee

Edit yes the NX is HG

Posted: Jan 29, 2021 at 10:53 Quote
wellbastardfast wrote:
hmstuna wrote:
Yeah I run Sram eagle works fine

Sram eagle quick link in a shimano 12 speed

Yes

Posted: Jan 29, 2021 at 11:25 Quote
hmstuna wrote:
wellbastardfast wrote:
hmstuna wrote:
Yeah I run Sram eagle works fine

Sram eagle quick link in a shimano 12 speed

Yes

Cheers brother

Posted: Jan 29, 2021 at 11:54 Quote
seraph wrote:
nojzilla wrote:
XStapse wrote:
It was the result of hitting the stones in the photo,When I rotate, there is not any problem
but it looks bad,Can I make fillings instead of teeth ? Do you have any suggestions?

unless you can get the right size tap an die set.
plenty of grease, then just un thread the coil retainer over the damage a few times until smooth. The harder steel retainer will clean the softer ally threads. Then a good clean of the grease an any swarf. Also remove the retainer from the damper an clean the threads of swarf but this require removing the damper from the frame and coil from the damper.

If you're going to try to use the collet to clean up the threads then don't use grease, use oil. But I would use a hardened scribe to clean up the threads first. I've fixed many an alloy thread with a good scribe (usually called a pokey tool at the shop).

I assumed he was talking about the fact that the HSR adjuster has snapped off. But then I didn't understand the bit about fillings instead of teeth.

Posted: Jan 29, 2021 at 14:21 Quote
Kierawilde wrote:
I have a 2019 Santa Cruz 5010 which has a 130mm fox dps shock in 210x50. I recently purchased a Fox dpx2 in 210x50 but it was off of a 2021 Intense primer. The rebound/compression tunes are slightly different between my current shock and the new dpx2. Does this matter? Will it affect ride quality noticeably?

Here is the Custom ID info from Fox on my current dps:
2019, FLOAT DPS, P-S, A, 3pos, Evol LV, Santa Cruz, 5010 , 210, 50, 0.6 Spacer, LCM, LRM, CML, Standard Logo

And here is the info on my new Dpx2
2021, FLOAT DPX2, P-S, A, 3pos, Evol LV, Intense, Primer 29 Expert/S Expert, 210, 50, 0.9 Spacer, CM, RLA019, Rezi M F M, Standard Logo

Any info helps! Thanks

I believe the Santa Cruz shock uses a bearing in the lower shock eyelet. Does the shock from the Intense have the bearing mount? If not, this will have to be changed out for you to use it.

Posted: Jan 29, 2021 at 15:45 Quote
kwapik wrote:
Kierawilde wrote:
I have a 2019 Santa Cruz 5010 which has a 130mm fox dps shock in 210x50. I recently purchased a Fox dpx2 in 210x50 but it was off of a 2021 Intense primer. The rebound/compression tunes are slightly different between my current shock and the new dpx2. Does this matter? Will it affect ride quality noticeably?

2019, FLOAT DPS, P-S, A, 3pos, Evol LV, Santa Cruz, 5010 , 210, 50, 0.6 Spacer, LCM, LRM, CML, Standard Logo

2021, FLOAT DPX2, P-S, A, 3pos, Evol LV, Intense, Primer 29 Expert/S Expert, 210, 50, 0.9 Spacer, CM, RLA019, Rezi M F M, Standard Logo

Any info helps! Thanks

I believe the Santa Cruz shock uses a bearing in the lower shock eyelet. Does the shock from the Intense have the bearing mount? If not, this will have to be changed out for you to use it.
I'm pretty sure any bearing mounted shock can be replaced with a conventional style. You can't always go the other way though.

Posted: Jan 29, 2021 at 15:50 Quote
Nobble wrote:
kwapik wrote:
Kierawilde wrote:

Any info helps! Thanks

I'm pretty sure any bearing mounted shock can be replaced with a conventional style. You can't always go the other way though.

Fairly sure this is right, but going from bearing to bushing on a bike with so much rotation on that eyelet might not be the best idea.

Posted: Jan 29, 2021 at 16:14 Quote
tannerzinck wrote:
Nobble wrote:
kwapik wrote:

I would think you'd feel the difference in those 2 shocks tunes more than you would feel the difference in added friction, keep that in perspective as you weigh your shock purchasing decision

Fairly sure this is right, but going from bearing to bushing on a bike with so much rotation on that eyelet might not be the best idea.

Returning to Kierawilde original Q, I would think he'd feel the difference in shock tune before feeling the difference in friction from switching to an eyelet bushing (assuming the 2 shocks have diff tunes which i'm not sure we have assertained. I quickly took at look at a 2016 (closest year i could find) 5010 and a 2020 Primer and the primer had a higher average leverage ratio and is more progressive but take all that with a grain of salt bc the 5010 leverage design could have changed dramatically since 2016)

Posted: Jan 29, 2021 at 16:24 Quote
freestyIAM wrote:
tannerzinck wrote:
Nobble wrote:

I would think you'd feel the difference in those 2 shocks tunes more than you would feel the difference in added friction, keep that in perspective as you weigh your shock purchasing decision

Returning to Kierawilde original Q, I would think he'd feel the difference in shock tune before feeling the difference in friction from switching to an eyelet bushing (assuming the 2 shocks have diff tunes which i'm not sure we have assertained. I quickly took at look at a 2016 (closest year i could find) 5010 and a 2020 Primer and the primer had a higher average leverage ratio and is more progressive but take all that with a grain of salt bc the 5010 leverage design could have changed dramatically since 2016)

Thanks for the responses, I transferred over the mounting hardware from my dps to the new shock and fit like a glove in the suspension platform. Have just ridden around the yard but haven't noticed any bad/weird feelings from the shock and the tune feels somewhat similar to my previous shock with possible a bit more supportive feeling.

Posted: Jan 30, 2021 at 10:28 Quote
How do i know which remote mount for dropper post i have ? Atm i have shimano LT-500 I-spec EV, but i am looking to buy oneup dropper lever. Does it depends on drivetrain or ? I have GX/XO1 drivetrain and brakes are Shimano XT BR-M8120. Thank you

Posted: Jan 30, 2021 at 11:26 Quote
meebo wrote:
How do i know which remote mount for dropper post i have ? Atm i have shimano LT-500 I-spec EV, but i am looking to buy oneup dropper lever. Does it depends on drivetrain or ? I have GX/XO1 drivetrain and brakes are Shimano XT BR-M8120. Thank you
It would be the same mounting interface as your old one.

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.014137
Mobile Version of Website