Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]
Posted: Jan 31, 2021 at 13:26 Quote
bishopsmike wrote:
kapuyawn wrote:
I'm getting older (50) and could really use some help with climbing...I have a 30T chainring and was wondering if it makes sense to go to 28T or even even 26T.
Just make sure your crankset will accept it. The old standard 104 BCD will only go down to 30T. If that's the case, you can look at a rear cassette with a larger range (up to 52 teeth), but that won't make as big a difference as a 2-teeth smaller front ring, and might require a longer chain too.

True. I was assuming a direct-mount ring. If it's a four-bolt single-ring with 104 BCD, bishopsmike is correct that 30T is the minimum.

If this is the situation, a new crank with direct-mount chainring would be the more versatile option than a new cassette.

Posted: Jan 31, 2021 at 20:47 Quote
Looking to buy a used shimano shifter with an i-spec b, but need to bar mount it because it is going on a old DJ with Hayes mech brakes. I have tried to find an adapter for about 2hrs without any luck. Does it exist? Can someone point me in the right direction? Thanks!

Posted: Jan 31, 2021 at 21:09 Quote
There is a guy on ebay that 3D prints bar clamps but I think he's in Eastern Europe

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/I-Spec-B-Handlebar-Clamp-Adapter-For-Shimano-Shifter/324285302579

Posted: Feb 1, 2021 at 0:28 Quote
gabriel-mission9 wrote:
JBW450 wrote:
Got an old 2011 Fox 40. Ridefox says I need spring p/n 039-05-074. I can only find p/n 039-05-134.

Is there a difference between the two, or will a new 039-05-134 fox 40 spring fit in my ancient 40's?

Given that the springrate is the same for both, this would suggest that there is some physical size difference. I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess it's overall length is different.

Best thing I can suggest is contact whoever is selling the one you have found and ask for some measurements to compare to what you currently have. Most places will be happy to oblige, as they are likely keen to get rid of such old stock.

Cheers, yeah after a bit more research someone has confirmed that the new springs are shorter. Meaning I need another travel spacer to take up the slack.

Posted: Feb 1, 2021 at 0:54 Quote
Dumb question, I have a centrelock adapter (Dt Swiss one) which says max disc 230mm, so would this mean I could run a 220mm rotor?, as I seen that the magura mdp 220 rotor says that it cannot be used on a centrelock hub.

Posted: Feb 1, 2021 at 1:06 Quote
dagzin wrote:
Dumb question, I have a centrelock adapter (Dt Swiss one) which says max disc 230mm, so would this mean I could run a 220mm rotor?, as I seen that the magura mdp 220 rotor says that it cannot be used on a centrelock hub.
Should be fine...

Posted: Feb 1, 2021 at 1:56 Quote
ajax-ripper wrote:
dagzin wrote:
Should be fine...

I’ve also noticed that the centrelock adaptor says min-max rotor thickness 1.8-2.2mm so I’m wondering if the alu carrier of the mdp rotor is thicker then 2.2....

Posted: Feb 1, 2021 at 2:13 Quote
ajax-ripper wrote:
dagzin wrote:
Should be fine...

I’ve also noticed that the centrelock adaptor says min-max rotor thickness 1.8-2.2mm so I’m wondering if the alu carrier of the mdp rotor is thicker then 2.2....

Posted: Feb 1, 2021 at 5:23 Quote
adespotoskyli wrote:
gnarcissistictendency wrote:
I have a question. I’ve installed a Works angle set on my 19 jeffsy carbon and I’m having issues with just barely putting any preload with the top cap the steerer just gets way to stiff. Also my steering is very weird feeling. If those cups aren’t aligned 100% then does it affect the handling? What could I possibly be doing wrong?

There's a centre point mark on the headset cups, check if aligned with the headtube centre. Check that you fitted all the parts in the correct order and make sure the compression ring is sitting flat on top cup bearing, sometimes they get pinched onesided and cause all sort of troubles. Due to the angled nature of the angle sets it's easy to pinch or be slightly off when fitted, some headsets use a thin washer between the compression ring and the dust ring, make sure you fitted the thin washer or the dust ring will push on the bearing cup causing a stiff steering feel.

Thanks for the info. Will look into this today

Posted: Feb 1, 2021 at 8:19 Quote
Anybody know how to get stans sealant out of clothes?

Posted: Feb 1, 2021 at 8:21 Quote
I found a 2014 giant glory whistler edition. I can't find what its original parts or price is and everywhere ony has teh giant glory 0 and 2. Anything helps, thanks!

Posted: Feb 1, 2021 at 8:30 Quote
ducklord wrote:
I found a 2014 giant glory whistler edition. I can't find what its original parts or price is and everywhere ony has teh giant glory 0 and 2. Anything helps, thanks!

I would say that it is an ex rental bike so would not be for sale as a retail item so you probably won't find much info.

Posted: Feb 1, 2021 at 8:35 Quote
romantitus wrote:
Anybody know how to get stans sealant out of clothes?

i would like too know this too

Posted: Feb 1, 2021 at 8:40 Quote
mtbman1980 wrote:
ducklord wrote:

I would say that it is an ex rental bike so would not be for sale as a retail item so you probably won't find much info.
Is it equal or less than the Glory 0?

Posted: Feb 1, 2021 at 8:53 Quote
ducklord wrote:
mtbman1980 wrote:
ducklord wrote:

Is it equal or less than the Glory 0?

https://blisterreview.com/gear-reviews/2014-giant-glory

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.013202
Mobile Version of Website