Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]
Posted: Feb 28, 2021 at 15:21 Quote
Paint cracks from movement underneath. Like RMR said, it's probably a crack in the frame or possibly just from a dent. White paint seems to be more brittle than other colors and will show cracks more easily.

Posted: Feb 28, 2021 at 17:31 Quote
XStapse wrote:
What are the causes of cracks in paint?

stress in the metal

Posted: Mar 1, 2021 at 4:15 Quote
stress in the metal Does it cause bad results?

Posted: Mar 1, 2021 at 4:55 Quote
R-M-R wrote:
Usually a crack in the frame under the paint!

Paint sometimes cracks when it's applied, possibly due to different rates of thermal expansion or being applied too thick (differential rates of drying). Sometimes it doesn't adhere to the base material, possibly due to poor cleaning / prep. There can also be corrosion under the paint that reduces adhesion or changes the volume of the base material (esp. iron corrosion).

My white jeffsy has that issue. I started noticing cracks in the paint in that exact area(the top of the bottom of downtube) I contacted yt and they said those stress cracks in the paint aren’t uncommon and to put nail polish sealer over it and that will stop the cracks from spreading. I recently noticed a new crack in the paint. So far I’ve been riding pretty hard and no issues.

Posted: Mar 1, 2021 at 10:04 Quote
can you send a photo ?

Posted: Mar 1, 2021 at 10:40 Quote
gnarcissistictendency wrote:
My white jeffsy has that issue. I started noticing cracks in the paint in that exact area(the top of the bottom of downtube) I contacted yt and they said those stress cracks in the paint aren’t uncommon and to put nail polish sealer over it and that will stop the cracks from spreading. I recently noticed a new crack in the paint. So far I’ve been riding pretty hard and no issues.

You're seeing "paint" cracks in the exact same place as a known failure point. You should make very sure those are just "paint" cracks.

O+
Posted: Mar 1, 2021 at 10:44 Quote
R-M-R wrote:

You're seeing "paint" cracks in the exact same place as a known failure point. You should make very sure those are just "paint" cracks.

I'd scrape a bit of paint off and see for sure.

Posted: Mar 1, 2021 at 11:05 Quote
tannerzinck wrote:
R-M-R wrote:

I'd scrape a bit of paint off and see for sure.
absolutely to check in detail, but if you are still in the warranty period I would discuss first with YT: or they check it or the owner checks it but doesn't loose warranty.

Adding nail polish doesn't seem the correct way forward...

O+
Posted: Mar 1, 2021 at 12:01 Quote
I have a pair of clipless shoes that i bought to force myself to ride clipped in but really just don't get along with that style. But now i can't return the shoes and can't seem to sell them even though they're basically new. on top of this, the soles are very grippy, and im in need of some new flat shoes, so...

anyone ever converted clipless shoes to flats? my shoes have a deep recession in the sole where the cleat mounts, but for now I've just put the screws back in with just the little 2-holed retainer piece. im wondering if there is a better method, like maybe using an old piece of rubber drilled as a "cleat".

Posted: Mar 1, 2021 at 12:08 Quote
My experience is that the sole of clipless shoes is always harder than that of a proper flat shoe, since the rubber beside the cleat pocket is what stabilizes the shoe on the pedal. Also, the midsole is stiff and has some rocker (upward curvature), so it never wraps around the pedal as well as a proper flat shoe.

If you choose to continue with these shoes, try gluing a piece of rubber onto a stiff backing - ex. plastic - that's contoured more than the midsole to help the ends stay tight to the midsole,, rather than bending downward and getting hooked on the pedal or the ground while walking.

O+
Posted: Mar 1, 2021 at 12:46 Quote
R-M-R wrote:
My experience is that the sole of clipless shoes is always harder than that of a proper flat shoe, since the rubber beside the cleat pocket is what stabilizes the shoe on the pedal. Also, the midsole is stiff and has some rocker (upward curvature), so it never wraps around the pedal as well as a proper flat shoe.

If you choose to continue with these shoes, try gluing a piece of rubber onto a stiff backing - ex. plastic - that's contoured more than the midsole to help the ends stay tight to the midsole,, rather than bending downward and getting hooked on the pedal or the ground while walking.

usually i'd agree but these are the new crank brothers mallet shoes, and from just riding around the street, they have seemingly a lot more grip than the pearl izumi flat shoes i got a few months back, and more grip than my clapped out five tens haha. Definitely stiff but i favor the stiff for the kind of riding i'll use these for. and since i can't return them i don't see any harm in doing a little experimenting.

any recommendation on glue? or would an epoxy be stronger?

Posted: Mar 1, 2021 at 13:18 Quote
If you're happy with the shoes for flats, go for it!

A rubber cement / vulcanizing fluid ought to do it, with good surface prep.

Posted: Mar 1, 2021 at 13:50 Quote
ATTENTION POLYGON OWNERS: Polygon has not released any pivot/bearing kits for any of their models besides the Siskiu D7 years 2016 thru 2018. What are you guys doing for bearing/bushing replacement??

Posted: Mar 1, 2021 at 13:55 Quote
Pull them out measure them and buy bearings from the 1000s of supplier there are in the internet

Posted: Mar 1, 2021 at 14:00 Quote
Exactly. You can usually get the same bearings for a fraction the price of a kit.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.040339
Mobile Version of Website