Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]
Posted: Feb 26, 2021 at 16:18 Quote
R-M-R wrote:
jubs17 wrote:
Can you please paste a photo of a graffiti covered alley everytime you post? tup

Very confused

I think he's referring to you explaining what VPP is vs other four bar and single pivot designs, and how talking about the virtual pivot point in a four bar design wouldn't make much sense to an average person (it sorta makes sense to me, although that course was one of the most confusing courses I ever took in uni).

Posted: Feb 26, 2021 at 16:22 Quote
watch123 wrote:
I think he's referring to you explaining what VPP is vs other four bar and single pivot designs, and how talking about the virtual pivot point in a four bar design wouldn't make much sense to an average person

That's fine. The subject wasn't raised by an average person and my target audience isn't the average person.

Posted: Feb 26, 2021 at 18:08 Quote
Salute and we thank you for that Salute

Posted: Feb 26, 2021 at 18:18 Quote
mtbman1980 wrote:
Salute and we thank you for that Salute

Yes, it's great having your insight into various things.

I believe you pointed out a while ago that a study/project you worked on found that people with uneven power throughout their pedal stroke benefit more from oval chainrings than people with consistent power throughout their pedal stroke. It was a great little thing that I've kept in the back of my mind for ages since.

Posted: Feb 26, 2021 at 18:35 Quote
Thank you, mtbman1980 and watch123.

It was my own observations from my own riding, video analysis of others, and some quick calculations.

Posted: Feb 26, 2021 at 19:49 Quote
Any tips on how to clean the linkages by the seat tube? On my frame it’s a pretty tight area(not big enough for a brush) and a rag won’t cut it.

Posted: Feb 26, 2021 at 20:22 Quote
ridingrascal wrote:
Any tips on how to clean the linkages by the seat tube? On my frame it’s a pretty tight area(not big enough for a brush) and a rag won’t cut it.

You could tie cloth strips to a pipe cleaner or string.

Posted: Feb 26, 2021 at 20:27 Quote
jadloff wrote:
I have a 2018 canyon strive cf and I am having problems with the way the gear cable is routed out of the bottom bracket area and back into the chain stays because the cable keeps pushing up into the frame not allowing me to shift. Is this a known problem with this frame or is this something I'm just experiencing?
Thank you

You can kinda lock your cable in place so It wont migrate wit suspension movement and general rattle and wiggles. Just cinch down a zip tie as tight as you can around the cable right at the spot where it enters the frame port, do this on both the frame side and the stay side and the zip tie will stop the cable from sliding into either the frame or the stay. The zip ties will function as "stops" on the cable since they're too big to slide into the frame and they're essentially locked onto the cable housing.

Posted: Feb 26, 2021 at 21:07 Quote
I've heard that things (small things) can get caught and fall into the BB area of a Stumpjumper via the SWAT. I'm trying to avoid this from happening. It's just an inch too long for me to get my hands in there if I had to clean it out. To AVOID having to clean in from within using hemostats or something, would it be OK to stuff a small block of soft foam down there in the SWAT by the BB or is that not such a great idea either?

TY!!

~JSV

Posted: Feb 26, 2021 at 21:08 Quote
Should be perfectly fine.

Posted: Feb 26, 2021 at 21:44 Quote
FloridaHasMTBToo wrote:
ridingrascal wrote:

You could tie cloth strips to a pipe cleaner or string.
Thanks!

Posted: Feb 27, 2021 at 12:26 Quote
will a pf30 from yt tues 2016 carbon fit 2018 supreme?

yt is 83mm pf30 and supreme is 107 not sure if it fits thanks

Posted: Feb 27, 2021 at 13:43 Quote
Noeserd wrote:

PF30 cups don't care how wide your BB shell is. The spindle length will need to be long enough though.

Posted: Feb 27, 2021 at 14:36 Quote
seraph wrote:
Noeserd wrote:

PF30 cups don't care how wide your BB shell is. The spindle length will need to be long enough though.
My '16 Tues has a e-thirteen pf30 bb which is a threaded together design with a screw interface with a width specific tube. For 107 you would need one size up.

Posted: Feb 27, 2021 at 15:06 Quote
Grumposaur wrote:
seraph wrote:
Noeserd wrote:

My '16 Tues has a e-thirteen pf30 bb which is a threaded together design with a screw interface with a width specific tube. For 107 you would need one size up.

thanks for the info

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.012866
Mobile Version of Website