Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]
Posted: Feb 27, 2021 at 18:17 Quote

Is this safe to ride, the crack doesn't contact any welds.

Posted: Feb 27, 2021 at 18:21 Quote
FloridaHasMTBToo wrote:

I wouldn't even ride down the driveway on that.

Posted: Feb 27, 2021 at 18:39 Quote
FloridaHasMTBToo wrote:

Uuuuuh, nerp!

Posted: Feb 27, 2021 at 18:48 Quote
I don't know if this changes anything, but the crack does not go all the way around the downtube.

Posted: Feb 27, 2021 at 18:55 Quote
FloridaHasMTBToo wrote:
I don't know if this changes anything, but the crack does not go all the way around the downtube.

If the crack went all the way around, it would already be broken. A frame that's split in half is just a crack that went all the way around. And it will go all the way around soon enough.

Maybe you could get one more ride on it. Maybe two. Maybe more. Who knows! The only certainty is that your frame is going to split in half very soon and you'll be happier if you don't find out exactly how soon.

Posted: Feb 27, 2021 at 21:29 Quote
R-M-R wrote:
FloridaHasMTBToo wrote:

If the crack went all the way around, it would already be broken. A frame that's split in half is just a crack that went all the way around. And it will go all the way around soon enough.

Maybe you could get one more ride on it. Maybe two. Maybe more. Who knows! The only certainty is that your frame is going to split in half very soon and you'll be happier if you don't find out exactly how soon.

Yep , its toast, don't ride it!

Posted: Feb 28, 2021 at 2:02 Quote
Looking to do the linkage bearings on my 2016 Carbon Canyon Spectral, I know I can get a specific set of tools from BearingProTools.com but wanted a more universal set like the enduro BBT-200 and the BRT-005.

Does anyone else have any better suggestions as I these are $800 worth of tools in Australia and rarely available here

Any help would be great thanks

Posted: Feb 28, 2021 at 5:47 Quote
scytharian wrote:
Looking to do the linkage bearings on my 2016 Carbon Canyon Spectral, I know I can get a specific set of tools from BearingProTools.com but wanted a more universal set like the enduro BBT-200 and the BRT-005.

Does anyone else have any better suggestions as I these are $800 worth of tools in Australia and rarely available here

There is nothing funky about bearing presses and from what I have seen many are way over priced. I happen to be fortunate and have a workshop with a lathe so have made my own. You my find that it is way cheaper to get a small machine shop to run something up for you.

Just add specific press parts as you need them.

Posted: Feb 28, 2021 at 9:13 Quote
scytharian wrote:

I got mine off of aliX. Quality is ok but it was cheap

Posted: Feb 28, 2021 at 11:15 Quote
well maybe around to the coffee shop, but that is your downtube[ what was one of the strongest parts of your bike.
at this point it has all but completley failed. dont risk your teeth imo i'd park it. Quote="FloridaHasMTBToo"]

Is this safe to ride, the crack doesn't contact any welds.[/Quote]

Posted: Feb 28, 2021 at 12:55 Quote
FloridaHasMTBToo wrote:

What frame is that? I'm liking the look of those cable port inserts.

And yeah, don't ride that bike!

Posted: Feb 28, 2021 at 13:09 Quote
kwapik wrote:
FloridaHasMTBToo wrote:
[Snip the frame photo]

Looks to be a 2020 YT Jeffsy Base, at least according to this album.

Posted: Feb 28, 2021 at 13:15 Quote
FloridaHasMTBToo wrote:

that's toast

Posted: Feb 28, 2021 at 13:23 Quote
watch123 wrote:
kwapik wrote:
FloridaHasMTBToo wrote:
[Snip the frame photo]

Looks to be a 2020 YT Jeffsy Base, at least according to this album.

Yep, Jeffsy base...

And thank you for your help everyone, I panicked, saw that there was a crack and I have a race coming up, so I wanted to see if there was any chance of racing on it. Thank you all for saving me from probably a few broken bones and a DNF.

Posted: Feb 28, 2021 at 14:40 Quote
What are the causes of cracks in paint?

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.014052
Mobile Version of Website