Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]
Posted: Apr 19, 2021 at 21:39 Quote
Is it fine to mount an air shock upside down? dont think a newer shock will fit. looking for a shock that will fit a 2013 Giant Reign.

Posted: Apr 19, 2021 at 21:48 Quote
bigbird16,

Yes, any orientation that fits is fine.

O+
Posted: Apr 19, 2021 at 22:27 Quote
cvana wrote:
My bike is a tad small and I think increasing the stem length would help. Should I try a 10 mm increase, or more? I definitely am riding with my weight more to the rear. I have already slammed the stack.
Thanks!

Also, usually your LBS will be happy to help you with stem length. Most have multiple extras lying around and if you tell them you'll buy a fancy new one from them when the time comes I'm sure they're happy to let you test ride a couple of different lengths.

Posted: Apr 19, 2021 at 23:08 Quote
Salute

Be sure it fits through the full stroke.

Posted: Apr 20, 2021 at 6:45 Quote
Hey folks, I have a set of 2017 factory 36’s that the lower legs were damaged in transit (crushed my whole bike basically). I have decided after a bit of research to resurrect them with some 29er lowers. Mine are 170mm which can be increased to 180mm or reduced in 10mm increments according to the fox website. My questions are-

Has anyone on here done this before?

And how will fitting the 29er lowers affect the travel? The lowers look to be 10-15mm longer at the same axle height. To fit them to my current bike I need 160mm to maintain the same geo (2020 reign 29er). I’m not sure whether to leave them the std length hopefully giving me 160mm, or if I need to remove the one 10mm spacer to bring them up to 160mm

Cheers

Posted: Apr 20, 2021 at 7:25 Quote
cyclesoul wrote:
Hey folks, I have a set of 2017 factory 36’s that the lower legs were damaged in transit (crushed my whole bike basically). I have decided after a bit of research to resurrect them with some 29er lowers. Mine are 170mm which can be increased to 180mm or reduced in 10mm increments according to the fox website. My questions are-

And how will fitting the 29er lowers affect the travel? The lowers look to be 10-15mm longer at the same axle height. To fit them to my current bike I need 160mm to maintain the same geo (2020 reign 29er). I’m not sure whether to leave them the std length hopefully giving me 160mm, or if I need to remove the one 10mm spacer to bring them up to 160mm

Cheers
If your whole bike was crushed and it destroyed the lowers I wouldn't expect the upper to be fine even if they look ok to the naked eye.

Posted: Apr 20, 2021 at 7:32 Quote
cyclesoul wrote:

Cheers
New fork would be cheaper than jerry rigging this thing together

Posted: Apr 20, 2021 at 10:47 Quote
Does anyone know what service kit I would need for a 2010 Fox 36 TALAS with an RC2 FIT damper? I want to service the lowers. Maybe a complete rebuild?

Also, does the kit come with new bushings? I think mine have disappeared.

Posted: Apr 20, 2021 at 10:47 Quote
Hi guys, wanted to install 5 tokens into my fox36 factory. I'm able to install just 2, because when i put more tokens, they make weird banana shape and I'm unable to screw the top cap in because I cant catch the thread correctly. I allready slightly damaged my thread on top cap. Any tips how to get them in?

Posted: Apr 20, 2021 at 10:52 Quote
raidenCZE wrote:
Hi guys, wanted to install 5 tokens into my fox36 factory. I'm able to install just 2, because when i put more tokens, they make weird banana shape and I'm unable to screw the top cap in because I cant catch the thread correctly. I allready slightly damaged my thread on top cap. Any tips how to get them in?

You haven't exceeded the max number of spacers, eh? If it's 180mm there's a max of 4 spacers. Source here.

Posted: Apr 20, 2021 at 10:58 Quote
watch123 wrote:
raidenCZE wrote:

You haven't exceeded the max number of spacers, eh? If it's 180mm there's a max of 4 spacers. Source here.
Dont worry, i got 160. Nothing to do with max spacers, they are banana when they are clicked together, that prevents proper catch of the start of the thread thus I'm unable to screw the cap in. I'm able to catch the thread only with 2 spacers.

Posted: Apr 20, 2021 at 11:02 Quote
raidenCZE wrote:
watch123 wrote:
raidenCZE wrote:

Dont worry, i got 160. Nothing to do with max spacers, they are banana when they are clicked together, that prevents proper catch of the start of the thread thus I'm unable to screw the cap in. I'm able to catch the thread only with 2 spacers.

Ahh, ok. I have no idea then, hopefully someone else who knows more will comment.

Posted: Apr 20, 2021 at 11:08 Quote
Duderz7 wrote:
cyclesoul wrote:

Cheers
If your whole bike was crushed and it destroyed the lowers I wouldn't expect the upper to be fine even if they look ok to the naked eye.

Parts of it were crushed, wheels were square n pinched flat in places, Fox x2 snapped into 3 pieces, carbon frame had a 20cm crack along the down tube n a bit of other damage. Dropper post, carbon cranks, bar n stem, rear triangle all fine. Fork lowers were cracked at the arch and the axle bent. I guess yes I’m taking a gamble on the uppers but once I removed the bent axle they work really well by hand. I already have the lowers so we will see

O+
Posted: Apr 20, 2021 at 11:16 Quote
jesses-g wrote:
Does anyone know what service kit I would need for a 2010 Fox 36 TALAS with an RC2 FIT damper? I want to service the lowers. Maybe a complete rebuild?

Also, does the kit come with new bushings? I think mine have disappeared.

Not sure if there is a rebuild kit available for these. Usually you have to send it in for service. You may be able to track down specific parts though.

Dust seals and foam rings are about all you will be able to find.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.024118
Mobile Version of Website