Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]
Posted: Apr 16, 2021 at 16:43 Quote
AlanDuren wrote:
Hello everyone i have a question. My stanchion where air is pumped into is more of a matt color looks like a normal stanchion with thin layer of oil on it but my other stanchion looks normal like a normal shiny black stanchion. Is this a problem or is this normal. This is a rock shox gold 35 fork.

Do you have any pictures?

Posted: Apr 16, 2021 at 23:15 Quote
Noeserd wrote:
riish wrote:
Noeserd wrote:
I'm going to buy a spoke wrench but i don't know which size i should buy, wheel is prebuilt and spokes are sapim race 2.0 1.8 double butted

thanks

The Rixen and Kaul Spokey is excellent. I think the 3.25mm is what you need, that fits the Squorx and 1.8/2.0 brass DT nipples I have.

i was going for 3min19sec but if it's worth it might pay twice for it

I do think it’s worth the extra money. Was a big upgrade from the cheap spike wrench I had previously.

Posted: Apr 16, 2021 at 23:53 Quote
noone1223 wrote:
gusbus432 wrote:
I've got a question for you all. I just bought a used Bronson v2 that has a oneup v2 200mm dropper. I tightened the seatclamp because it moved everywhere but then when I tightened it the dropper post didn't work? So basically I have to keep it lose to the point where the seat moves side to side pretty easy. Why??

Try adding carbon assembly compound and snug the post up to where it wont move and still work. They can be tricky little things.

thanks will do

Posted: Apr 17, 2021 at 2:52 Quote
gusbus432 wrote:
I've got a question for you all. I just bought a used Bronson v2 that has a oneup v2 200mm dropper. I tightened the seatclamp because it moved everywhere but then when I tightened it the dropper post didn't work? So basically I have to keep it lose to the point where the seat moves side to side pretty easy. Why??

This isn't normal. The post probably needs a service.

Less likely, but it might also be worth checking that the seatclamp is the correct size for the frame, and that the seat post is the correct diameter for the frame. If either is a little out then this can happen.

Posted: Apr 17, 2021 at 4:24 Quote
My zeb's charger damper is blown up (?)

My fork was feeling very sticky for few rides and i decided to crack it open again, a lot of oil came out from damper side, i hope it is a warranty case or i am screwed

Edit: i don't have a cassette tool can't remove the damper

Posted: Apr 17, 2021 at 6:01 Quote
Update: i got a cassette tool and removed the damper, is charger rc semi sealed like grip2? There is no bladder

Posted: Apr 17, 2021 at 6:28 Quote
Noeserd wrote:
Update: i got a cassette tool and removed the damper, is charger rc semi sealed like grip2? There is no bladder

Yes, very similar to the Grip layout.

If you completely remove the damper from the fork, and then pull the damper to full extension, does it try to suck itself back in to half travel?

Posted: Apr 17, 2021 at 6:48 Quote
no it doesn't, i figured it lost a lot of oil from damper, it is not a warranty case its my bad i thought its traditional bladder style and i put the crown upside down once. needs a full bleed

but it is odd that they are using different oil on lowers for a semi sealed cartridge. 3wt on damper and 0w30 on lowers

Posted: Apr 17, 2021 at 7:03 Quote
and damper shaft is wiggly, is it because lack of oil inside?

Posted: Apr 17, 2021 at 7:29 Quote
If there isn't much oil inside, then the damper will try and pull itself back in after you pull it out to full extension. I guess if there is no oil at all in there, it may not pull enough of a vacuum to try and suck itself back in though. There is an ifp with a spring behind it at the top of the damper, so if you push the damper in a few inches it should (very weakly) push itself back out if there is oil in there.

Check that your rebound knob makes a difference. If so then this is a good sign that there is oil in the damper.
Do not fully compress the damper with it removed from the fork, or it will purge too much oil out of the purge hole at the top of the damper and you will need to re-fill it. If you have any doubts it might be worth putting more oil in it anyway. This will involve taking the damper apart though.

The shaft will be wiggly at full extension. This is normal and not a problem.

Posted: Apr 17, 2021 at 7:32 Quote
Fox use the same bath oil as damper fluid because the grip damper tends to ingest bath oil. Rockshox dampers also ingest bath oil, but not as much. I guess rockshox have decided they dont do it fast enough to warrant matching the bath oil to the damper fluid

Posted: Apr 17, 2021 at 7:52 Quote
i turned the rebound to fastest position, it returns if i push it too deep, i'm sure there is nearly no oil at all in the damper because it purged oil while i played with it before ( beginner mistakes...)
i will send the damper to a service center becasue i don't have parts to open it

Posted: Apr 17, 2021 at 10:04 Quote
Hey folk! Got a preload problem on my crank.

The housing for the 2.5mm screw on my crank preload broke. I guess I over tightened it(should get a torque wrench).

Things seem tight now but will this come loose while riding? Is it possible to replace just the preload?

Thanks!

Posted: Apr 17, 2021 at 12:54 Quote
gusbus432 wrote:

Couple of things to check:
1: make sure the cartridge is fully pressurized (250-300psi from memory) theres a valve under the saddle clamp assembly to check this.

2: bit of carbon paste in the seat tube, and also a little grease on the interface between the seat tube and seatpost collar, a dab on the collar bolt won't hurt either.

And if those fail, might be worth opening up the post for a refresh, it's a pretty straightforward process and the manuals are available online.

Posted: Apr 18, 2021 at 2:48 Quote
HI there,

I have integrated bearings on my headset. I cannot get any spacers past the wider part at the base of my straight steerer tube on my forks. Any suggestions?

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.016303
Mobile Version of Website