Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]
Posted: Apr 18, 2021 at 3:05 Quote
Do you mean the crown race?

Posted: Apr 18, 2021 at 19:42 Quote
Use the cane creek as a replacement: https://canecreek.com/product/crank-preloader/
Peterkusnierz2017 wrote:
Hey folk! Got a preload problem on my crank.

The housing for the 2.5mm screw on my crank preload broke. I guess I over tightened it(should get a torque wrench).

Things seem tight now but will this come loose while riding? Is it possible to replace just the preload?

Thanks!

Posted: Apr 18, 2021 at 19:43 Quote
Are you trying to space out the headset below the lower cup?
Bob-the-Bikebuilder wrote:
HI there,

I have integrated bearings on my headset. I cannot get any spacers past the wider part at the base of my straight steerer tube on my forks. Any suggestions?

Posted: Apr 18, 2021 at 20:33 Quote
el-booto wrote:
gusbus432 wrote:
I've got a question for you all. I just bought a used Bronson v2 that has a oneup v2 200mm dropper. I tightened the seatclamp because it moved everywhere but then when I tightened it the dropper post didn't work? So basically I have to keep it lose to the point where the seat moves side to side pretty easy. Why??

Couple of things to check:
1: make sure the cartridge is fully pressurized (250-300psi from memory) theres a valve under the saddle clamp assembly to check this.

2: bit of carbon paste in the seat tube, and also a little grease on the interface between the seat tube and seatpost collar, a dab on the collar bolt won't hurt either.

And if those fail, might be worth opening up the post for a refresh, it's a pretty straightforward process and the manuals are available online.

Ok, thanks! I'll figure out how to check the pressure, I honestly have no idea what I'm doing but I'll text one of the guys at the shop maybe they'll look at it

Posted: Apr 19, 2021 at 4:05 Quote
Is there any difference between an 83mm GXP bottom bracket and a 68/73mm version, other than the length of the plastic tube in the middle?

Posted: Apr 19, 2021 at 4:21 Quote
gusbus432 wrote:
el-booto wrote:
gusbus432 wrote:
I've got a question for you all. I just bought a used Bronson v2 that has a oneup v2 200mm dropper. I tightened the seatclamp because it moved everywhere but then when I tightened it the dropper post didn't work? So basically I have to keep it lose to the point where the seat moves side to side pretty easy. Why??

Couple of things to check:
1: make sure the cartridge is fully pressurized (250-300psi from memory) theres a valve under the saddle clamp assembly to check this.

2: bit of carbon paste in the seat tube, and also a little grease on the interface between the seat tube and seatpost collar, a dab on the collar bolt won't hurt either.

And if those fail, might be worth opening up the post for a refresh, it's a pretty straightforward process and the manuals are available online.

Ok, thanks! I'll figure out how to check the pressure, I honestly have no idea what I'm doing but I'll text one of the guys at the shop maybe they'll look at it
The same way you check your fork or shock pressure? And in the case you don't know how to do that either: get a shockpump, check youtube, and be happy with the improvement in suspension performance you will get if you can set up it your self.

Posted: Apr 19, 2021 at 8:11 Quote
dingus wrote:
Is there any difference between an 83mm GXP bottom bracket and a 68/73mm version, other than the length of the plastic tube in the middle?

I am 99% sure there is no difference but maybe someone knows for certain.

Posted: Apr 19, 2021 at 9:54 Quote
dingus wrote:

It’s something to do with the load bearing part of the BB. A LBS told me never to add too many spacers to a BB because it alters where the load is carried and results in prematurely worn BB’s.

Posted: Apr 19, 2021 at 10:05 Quote
Question, I've got an older SLX (I think) that shifts great unless it is in the middle two cogs on the rear cassette. If you pedal slowly, it's fine, but if you stand up or accelerate quickly the chain will skip. It doesn't matter if it is in the 1st, 2nd, or 3rd chainring up front, it will still skip. It seemed to get better when it put the B-screw all the way in. Any idea what's going on?

Posted: Apr 19, 2021 at 10:46 Quote
mediocrityontwowheels wrote:
Question, I've got an older SLX (I think) that shifts great unless it is in the middle two cogs on the rear cassette. If you pedal slowly, it's fine, but if you stand up or accelerate quickly the chain will skip. It doesn't matter if it is in the 1st, 2nd, or 3rd chainring up front, it will still skip. It seemed to get better when it put the B-screw all the way in. Any idea what's going on?

how do the teeth look? is your chain stretched too much or recently replaced? and have you checked to see if the hanger is straight?

the middle of the cassette is used a lot more than the outliers so odds are they are worn out, or if you just replaced the chain and its happening its a big sign the cassette needs replacement too, and the hanger being bent would cause the alignment to be off and it would get worse as you shift farther up the cassette

Posted: Apr 19, 2021 at 11:03 Quote
Wreck2019 wrote:
dingus wrote:

It’s something to do with the load bearing part of the BB. A LBS told me never to add too many spacers to a BB because it alters where the load is carried and results in prematurely worn BB’s.

He's not talking about adding spacers. I've seen people in 73mm bb in 83mm and vice versa with no issues just by removing the plastic sleeve.

Posted: Apr 19, 2021 at 11:48 Quote
dingus wrote:

Sometimes 83mm bb's are made a little more heavy duty. Longer thread insertion is not uncommon. But most often, the only difference is the plastic tube that runs between the cups. Half the time I leave that tube out anyway on my own bikes, as I keep on top of maintenance well enough for it to be essentially useless anyway.

Posted: Apr 19, 2021 at 11:56 Quote
[Quote/]how do the teeth look? is your chain stretched too much or recently replaced? and have you checked to see if the hanger is straight?

the middle of the cassette is used a lot more than the outliers so odds are they are worn out, or if you just replaced the chain and its happening its a big sign the cassette needs replacement too, and the hanger being bent would cause the alignment to be off and it would get worse as you shift farther up the cassette[/Quote]

The hanger is straight, I did put a new chain on and when I looked the chain would only touch every other tooth on the cogs. Sounds like it's just worn out, the old chain was really worn.

Posted: Apr 19, 2021 at 12:06 Quote
tbeezle wrote:
mediocrityontwowheels wrote:
how do the teeth look? is your chain stretched too much or recently replaced? and have you checked to see if the hanger is straight?

the middle of the cassette is used a lot more than the outliers so odds are they are worn out, or if you just replaced the chain and its happening its a big sign the cassette needs replacement too, and the hanger being bent would cause the alignment to be off and it would get worse as you shift farther up the cassette

The hanger is straight, I did put a new chain on and when I looked the chain would only touch every other tooth on the cogs. Sounds like it's just worn out, the old chain was really worn.
Replace it ASAP or put your old chain back on it (risky)
Running a new chain on a worn cassette will just wear the chain really fast.

Posted: Apr 19, 2021 at 13:15 Quote
My bike is a tad small and I think increasing the stem length would help. Should I try a 10 mm increase, or more? I definitely am riding with my weight more to the rear. I have already slammed the stack.
Thanks!

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.013367
Mobile Version of Website