Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]
Posted: Apr 20, 2021 at 11:16 Quote
jesses-g wrote:
Does anyone know what service kit I would need for a 2010 Fox 36 TALAS with an RC2 FIT damper? I want to service the lowers. Maybe a complete rebuild?

Also, does the kit come with new bushings? I think mine have disappeared.

Not sure if there is a rebuild kit available for these. Usually you have to send it in for service. You may be able to track down specific parts though.

Dust seals and foam rings are about all you will be able to find.

Posted: Apr 20, 2021 at 11:19 Quote
Rogueuniform77 wrote:
cyclesoul wrote:
Hey folks, I have a set of 2017 factory 36’s that the lower legs were damaged in transit (crushed my whole bike basically). I have decided after a bit of research to resurrect them with some 29er lowers. Mine are 170mm which can be increased to 180mm or reduced in 10mm increments according to the fox website. My questions are-

Has anyone on here done this before?

And how will fitting the 29er lowers affect the travel? The lowers look to be 10-15mm longer at the same axle height. To fit them to my current bike I need 160mm to maintain the same geo (2020 reign 29er). I’m not sure whether to leave them the std length hopefully giving me 160mm, or if I need to remove the one 10mm spacer to bring them up to 160mm

Cheers

New fork would be cheaper than jerry rigging this thing together

Ummm no.. new lowers are around 300usd.........what’s a new fork cost? 2017 36 have a different air shaft setup to later forks so it’s easier to adjust travel wise without needing different air shafts.I have the lowers already so they are going on just hoping to save having to do the job twice to get the correct travel by getting advise from someone who actually has experience.

Posted: Apr 20, 2021 at 12:11 Quote
Bit of an update on the bolts

this is the best results i can get with hand and 600 grid paper, 1000 doesn't have a effect at all. I think it needs machine speed to have a effect on metal

but they turned out quite beautiful, i don't think i will polish

before
after

Posted: Apr 20, 2021 at 12:19 Quote
Noeserd wrote:

this is the best results i can get with hand and 600 grid paper, 1000 doesn't have a effect at all. I think it needs machine speed to have a effect on metal

before
after

They came up pretty good! 1000 grit would be having an effect, just to small to see unless you continue for a long time. Agreed a polishing wheel on a drill(or demel)n the drill in a vise with some metal polish would take them to the next level. But they came up great.

Posted: Apr 20, 2021 at 12:59 Quote
watch123 wrote:
raidenCZE wrote:
watch123 wrote:

You haven't exceeded the max number of spacers, eh? If it's 180mm there's a max of 4 spacers. Source here.
Dont worry, i got 160. Nothing to do with max spacers, they are banana when they are clicked together, that prevents proper catch of the start of the thread thus I'm unable to screw the cap in. I'm able to catch the thread only with 2 spacers.

Ahh, ok. I have no idea then, hopefully someone else who knows more will comment.
So I mannaged to insert 3 spacers, anything more is dissaligning the top cap too much. Doesnt matter, I'm 94kg rider and wanted to try both full token / no token extremes to find the sweet spot. Thx for caring anyway tup

Posted: Apr 20, 2021 at 13:02 Quote
jesses-g wrote:
Does anyone know what service kit I would need for a 2010 Fox 36 TALAS with an RC2 FIT damper? I want to service the lowers. Maybe even a complete rebuild?

Posted: Apr 20, 2021 at 14:23 Quote
Looks amazing! Try putting the bolts in a drill chuck and using high grit, and high rpm, try polishing them

Noeserd wrote:

before
after

Posted: Apr 20, 2021 at 15:13 Quote
jesses-g wrote:
jesses-g wrote:
Does anyone know what service kit I would need for a 2010 Fox 36 TALAS with an RC2 FIT damper? I want to service the lowers. Maybe even a complete rebuild?

Really old Talas stuff is a total pain in the ass to service. There are (iirc...) something like 5 different variants of Talas. As far as I know Fox only support the newer stuff now. 2010 is probably too old for them to still be carrying seal kits.

Lower leg seal kit is going to be the same as any modern Fox 36, so that part is simple. The damper probably only needs an oil change, not much else really goes wrong in them. If your air spring really does need a service though, I'd contact a service center to either do it for you, or at least help you work out which Talas you have and whether kits are even still available.

No you wont get bushings with a standard service kit. You can buy them seperately for about 40 quid, but you really don't want to be fitting these yourself unless you know exaclty what you are doing. Worth bearing in mind though, that if the bushings are shot, on a fork of that age the CSU is probably knackered as well. Might be easiest to sidestep all the Talas related PTSD you are about to inflict on yourself and just get a newer fork. On the fly adjustable travel really isnt that useful. You probably wouldnt miss it if you changed fork.

Posted: Apr 20, 2021 at 15:17 Quote
re stem length - thanks all!

Posted: Apr 20, 2021 at 15:21 Quote
raidenCZE wrote:
watch123 wrote:
raidenCZE wrote:

Dont worry, i got 160. Nothing to do with max spacers, they are banana when they are clicked together, that prevents proper catch of the start of the thread thus I'm unable to screw the cap in. I'm able to catch the thread only with 2 spacers.

Ahh, ok. I have no idea then, hopefully someone else who knows more will comment.
So I mannaged to insert 3 spacers, anything more is dissaligning the top cap too much. Doesnt matter, I'm 94kg rider and wanted to try both full token / no token extremes to find the sweet spot. Thx for caring anyway tup

This is definitely a thing. Long stacks of fork spacers banana and ruin people csu threading. Its annoying. It can be got around by:
Trying to gently bend the stack of spacers a bit straighter before inserting.
Turning the top cap backwards (unscrewing) while gently pushing down on it until you feel the first thread "click" down into place. As soon as it clicks down, start rotating clockwise gently (by hand, dont use a spanner at this point) and hopefully you should find it now threads in smoothly and easily.

Failing that pay a bike shop £10 to do it for you, and then if they break it its their problem not yours.

Posted: Apr 20, 2021 at 15:57 Quote
gabriel-mission9 wrote:
raidenCZE wrote:
watch123 wrote:

This is definitely a thing. Long stacks of fork spacers banana and ruin people csu threading. Its annoying. It can be got around by:
Turning the top cap backwards (unscrewing) while gently pushing down on it until you feel the first thread "click" down into place. As soon as it clicks down, start rotating clockwise gently (by hand, dont use a spanner at this point) and hopefully you should find it now threads in smoothly and easily.

Failing that pay a bike shop £10 to do it for you, and then if they break it its their problem not yours.

This is also a good strategy, pay someone else (preferably a professional) to do it if you're not sure, that way when it goes wrong they are/should be stuck fixing it.

Posted: Apr 20, 2021 at 16:58 Quote
gabriel-mission9 wrote:
raidenCZE wrote:
watch123 wrote:

"Turning the top cap backwards (unscrewing) while gently pushing down on it until you feel the first thread "click" down into place. As soon as it clicks down, start rotating clockwise gently (by hand, dont use a spanner at this point) and hopefully you should find it now threads in smoothly and easily."
- I actually did this and screwed the thread anyways - I'm doing this counterclockwise for all small threads like BB etc...
It went well for first two turns, but then it clicked and skipped the thread wich damaged the cap - due to banana shape. Thanks god I mannaged to fix the thread, would be annoying to buy new one for 45€ for tokens that I cant use properly... Bending the stack helped me to use 3 tokens, Hopefully it will be enough for me (94kgs).
Weird is, that this small piece of sh... is pricey, but they suck with tolerances which results in 45€ damage. My friend is able to make better ones on his 3D printer..

Posted: Apr 21, 2021 at 8:44 Quote
Has anyone used 11 speed Sram derailleurs with 12 speed shifter and cassette?

Posted: Apr 21, 2021 at 11:20 Quote
jesses-g wrote:
Does anyone know what service kit I would need for a 2010 Fox 36 TALAS with an RC2 FIT damper? I want to service the lowers. Maybe a complete rebuild?

All I can say is good luck. I had issues with my 2004 TALAS RL in January and it took a lot of research to figure out the issue and the parts needed. No one had FOX parts so I ended up buying individual o-rings to make the fork work.

Lower service with wipers shouldn't be hard to find.

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.020259
Mobile Version of Website