Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]
Posted: Apr 21, 2021 at 13:42 Quote
hello guys, i am kind of new on this and i need some help of course, in this case is for a friend: he bought a Marin Team CXR 29er carbon frame, for some reason the previous owner put an aluminum seatpost and that caused some sort of reaction there and the seatpost is stuck, i need some recommendations about where to go or what to do, we are in West Palm Beach Florida, my friend is triying to have a dropper post but first thing will be move the seatpost from the frame. thank you in advance. i have some pictures but there is not too much to see anyway

Posted: Apr 21, 2021 at 15:34 Quote
ANIBALITO1,

You could try penetrating oil / grease. The extreme option is sodium hydroxide, which will corrode the aluminum, hopefully to the point of removing / destroying enough material to remove the post. Obviously, avoid contact with any other aluminum parts.

Posted: Apr 21, 2021 at 15:34 Quote
ANIBALITO1 wrote:
hello guys, i am kind of new on this and i need some help of course, in this case is for a friend: he bought a Marin Team CXR 29er carbon frame, for some reason the previous owner put an aluminum seatpost and that caused some sort of reaction there and the seatpost is stuck, i need some recommendations about where to go or what to do, we are in West Palm Beach Florida, my friend is triying to have a dropper post but first thing will be move the seatpost from the frame. thank you in advance. i have some pictures but there is not too much to see anyway

I don't have much to add but, interesting. My dad had that happen with a fox transfer post (i think) in a carbon pivot trail 429... the strength of Thor couldn't get it out. Took it to a shop that tried all sorts of things but it ended up being sent in for warranty.

Posted: Apr 21, 2021 at 17:14 Quote
ANIBALITO1 wrote:

if wd40 and all that stuff does not work i saw spindatt on YouTube us Gallium to break up the seat post beacouse gallium breaks up aluminum so the seat post breaks into pieces and falls out. Also don't do it with aluminum frames other thread readers or your frame will also break apart.
here is the link to the video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJc8P03O89Q&t=522s

Posted: Apr 21, 2021 at 20:33 Quote
thank you guys, we will look around the bike shops in our area first, we are not that skilled to try something ourselves and ended ruining the carbon frameDead Horse

Posted: Apr 22, 2021 at 2:58 Quote
Hi all, (not really a quick question so apologies for that)

Looking for a bit of help here. Recently sold a bike and the brake stopped working shortly after (pulling to the bar), turns out there was a hole in the hose, worth bearing in mind I hadn't noticed anything wrong with the bike but seeing as this happened a couple of days after I sold it I agreed with the guy who bought it that I'd pay half the costs to repair it (thinking this would be around £50 new hose plus labour).

Anyway, he's had it into a shop and the shop has said Sram no longer make the brake hose required. I find this hard to believe as it's a 2017 Guide R brake (new bleeding-edge style) and I've found hoses available online. The shop has then tried another hose and then claimed the calliper was leaking (also finding this hard to believe) and they don't think it's repairable. They've now quoted the guy £140 plus labour for a new XT brake.

Could anyone confirm whether Sram has in fact discontinued brake hose for 2017 Guide R's?

Also if anyone wants to weigh in on the situation I'm faced with then I'd appreciate the help, I'm really not feeling inclined to fork our £75-100 for a new brake for this guy. Should also mention that I have a spare guide calliper and lever which I have offered, if needed.

Posted: Apr 22, 2021 at 3:23 Quote
willbikeleeds wrote:

Looking for a bit of help here. Recently sold a bike and the brake stopped working shortly after (pulling to the bar), turns out there was a hole in the hose, worth bearing in mind I hadn't noticed anything wrong with the bike but seeing as this happened a couple of days after I sold it I agreed with the guy who bought it that I'd pay half the costs to repair it (thinking this would be around £50 new hose plus labour).

Anyway, he's had it into a shop and the shop has said Sram no longer make the brake hose required. I find this hard to believe as it's a 2017 Guide R brake (new bleeding-edge style) and I've found hoses available online. The shop has then tried another hose and then claimed the calliper was leaking (also finding this hard to believe) and they don't think it's repairable. They've now quoted the guy £140 plus labour for a new XT brake.

Could anyone confirm whether Sram has in fact discontinued brake hose for 2017 Guide R's?

Also if anyone wants to weigh in on the situation I'm faced with then I'd appreciate the help, I'm really not feeling inclined to fork our £75-100 for a new brake for this guy. Should also mention that I have a spare guide calliper and lever which I have offered, if needed.

Sounds like a crap situation to be in. If I were you I would just offer the guy a refund for the bike then buy a second hand brake and then sell to someone else.

Forking out for a new XT brake plus labour just seems silly when it's not even a big issue in the first place, seems like the bike shop just want to make as much as they can off it

Posted: Apr 22, 2021 at 3:57 Quote
willbikeleeds wrote:

If it's an S4 caliper (bleeding edge type) then your guy is being fed a bunch of bollocks. It's still current and even if it wasn't, sram would still carry replacement kits for 5yrs minimum.

Posted: Apr 22, 2021 at 7:34 Quote
willbikeleeds wrote:

Pretty sure I just saw hose for this brake in our QBP cart yesterday. Shop is feeding you a bunch of bullshit. Take it to another mechanic and get a second opinion.

Posted: Apr 22, 2021 at 8:37 Quote
I have a dpx2 2019 on my small Giant Trance
I'm having a lot of trouble setting up my sag.
The code is DNC2 and I obtained this info:

2019 Performance Series FLOAT
Part number: 973-82-040
Short ID: DNC2
Description: 2019, FLOAT DPX2, P-S, A, 3pos, Trunnion, Evol LV, Giant, Trance Advanced Pro 29 1, 165, 42.5, 0.6 Spacer, CM, RLA019, Rezi L F M, TC 704 Gloss/TA 2572 Gloss

The suggested sag settings an the FOX site indicate 4 sizes of the shock - 45, 51, 55, 65

What is the travel for MY shock and can it be determined by the info above? My own measurement suggests 50 mm

Thank you.

Posted: Apr 22, 2021 at 10:03 Quote
So asking for my brother, who bought a used Cinelli nemo tig a few months ago and has now realized that because of shitty qc, the rear brake mount is basically incorrectly welded and impossible to adjust correctly, causing extreme brake rub. Is there anything we can do to salvage the situation? I thought about a 3D printed flat mount adapter that has some offset, but i don't have access to CAD (or a 3D printer for that matter lmao). Any other ideas? the brake is too far inward, so using a spacer on the rotor isn't an option either

Posted: Apr 22, 2021 at 10:19 Quote
cvana wrote:

Description: 2019, FLOAT DPX2, P-S, A, 3pos, Trunnion, Evol LV, Giant, Trance Advanced Pro 29 1, 165, 42.5, 0.6 Spacer, CM, RLA019, Rezi L F M, TC 704 Gloss/TA 2572 Gloss

The suggested sag settings an the FOX site indicate 4 sizes of the shock - 45, 51, 55, 65

What is the travel for MY shock and can it be determined by the info above? My own measurement suggests 50 mm

Thank you.

According to your information - it's a 165x42.5mm

Posted: Apr 22, 2021 at 10:28 Quote
willbikeleeds wrote:

Absolute bollocks, even if sram has stopped making the specific hose (highly unlikely) any bike shop worth their salt can make up a brake hose to suit from a 30m roll of the stuff in their workshop. It’s only about 5£ a metre retail. Sounds like someone is trying to pull one over on you. I’d just send him the £25 n say good luck mate

Posted: Apr 22, 2021 at 11:29 Quote
I'd say "sold as seen" and say if he doesn't like it he can return it for a full refund. You can't buy second hand and expect to recieve it in new condition

Posted: Apr 22, 2021 at 11:31 Quote
cvana wrote:

Thank you.

42.5mm stroke.

You want to start by setting it so that the sag o-ring sits about 11mm from the shock seal.

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.012965
Mobile Version of Website